CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Texas Method experiances

So I am jumping off the free style programming I have been doing and am gearing up to get serious for a spell. Texas method is looking good. I am looking to front squat my light days and low bar the rest. Last change I was looking to make was rowing on the light day along with the pullups.

I typically have done madcow in the past but like how this looks and after day 1 today, it seems better accomadating of metcons and running which I need to start doing again. I didn't see a thread worth resurrection and wanted to see what the verdict was and any mistakes made or lessons learned to help me avoid future pitfalls. The hope is to ride this out to a 400 squat, 500 deadlift, and 300 bench.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Collin Thompson

Profile:
Re: Texas Method experiances

Texas Method gets exponentially less accommodating for metcons...

A good tip though is to NOT increase weight on Volume Day every time. Intensity Day is where you make your money so as long as you are progressing well on that day, don't become volume-greedy.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

At this stage in the game I am looking for only strength. I have hit a dry weight of 196 and am not too keen in getting a lot heavier. I am not going to be doing ball buster metcons. Just trying to do a little conditioning for the heart and mind lol. I would like to be able to do a few miles at 8:00 min a mile and not die. I used to be able to rock at 6:00 mins a mile but I don't care to hit that speed again. So if I keep the volume low and focus on intensity I should be good?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
At this stage in the game I am looking for only strength. I have hit a dry weight of 196 and am not too keen in getting a lot heavier. I am not going to be doing ball buster metcons. Just trying to do a little conditioning for the heart and mind lol. I would like to be able to do a few miles at 8:00 min a mile and not die. I used to be able to rock at 6:00 mins a mile but I don't care to hit that speed again. So if I keep the volume low and focus on intensity I should be good?
I wouldn't add in metcons or conditioning, at least not right away. I'd get your body adapted to the Texas Method first, by running it as written. Down the road when you need start making modifications maybe SLOWLY start adding metcons or running back in.

Whatever you add in though, I'd recommend it be short, intense, and programmed intelligently. Examples would be hill sprints, prowler pushes, 200m, 400m, 800m sprints, short metcons in the 5-7 minute range or shorter, that won't interfere with your recovery. For example don't run a 5K the day before intensity squat, or do Diane the day before Intensity deadlift. Also don't ever do a metcon like Murph.

According to Justin Lascek, (the guy who wrote the books on modifying the texas method) the best day to do any kind of conditioning or HIIT or something is the day after intensity day, or the day after volume day.

There's more info in his two e-books, and you can probably get some smart conditioning ideas from his book FIT.

P.S. I'm about 14 weeks into the Texas Method.

Last edited by Michael Loucas; 11-27-2012 at 08:50 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Michael,

Metcons I had in mind were like what I did yesterday

5 rounds
15 1.5pood KB swings
4x20 heavybag strikes

Took less than 10 mins. I am wise enough not to be running 5k's before intensity day. I was thinking more along the lines of a 2 mile run, a metcon like the above, and a long walk on the weekend with my wife. Again, the purpose is for health reasons, not to be uber competitive. Do you have any suggestions regarding these goals? Thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Michael,

Metcons I had in mind were like what I did yesterday

5 rounds
15 1.5pood KB swings
4x20 heavybag strikes

Took less than 10 mins. I am wise enough not to be running 5k's before intensity day. I was thinking more along the lines of a 2 mile run, a metcon like the above, and a long walk on the weekend with my wife. Again, the purpose is for health reasons, not to be uber competitive. Do you have any suggestions regarding these goals? Thanks for the input.
Sure, try it and see how it works. If it starts becoming too much, pick a priority. If the priority is the weekend fun then maybe cut back on the volume a little bit on Monday. If you want to focus more on lifting, then maybe drop 1 or 2 of the weekend activities.

Best way is to just try and see how it affects you, and adjust accordingly depending on what you hold as a priority.

Texas method starts to get tough though in the long run, so if down the road you still can't dedicate to it you may want to try one of the variations of it in Justin's eBook that involve lower volume, or like the TM split to distribute the volume more evenly througout the week.

Last edited by Michael Loucas; 11-27-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

My main concern is that I have put conditioning on the back burner for awhile now for strength. I don't want to be a beast or anything but just enough for health. I have a feeling this will be like madcow and as I get a few months into it, things are going to be tough. I was hoping that the light runs and bag strikes would grow with my strength gains and be a lot easier by the time things get tougher for TM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Bill, could you post up a template of what you are doing? I have actually never read up on TM so I have no idea what goes into it.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Bill, could you post up a template of what you are doing? I have actually never read up on TM so I have no idea what goes into it.
There's no real template. It starts out with a Volume day on Monday to create the stress on your body, (starts out with usually 5x5 or 3x5) for squat and press/bench about 80% of Fridays weight.

Wednesday is a light day, you use 70% of Mondays weight for 2-3 sets of 5 to help you recover for Friday except for press, you want that to be more like 90% (alternating light bench and medium press, if you benched Monday you press today)

Friday is intensity day. This you go for a rep max (starting out you go for 5 rep max, and increase this each week. Once that fails you can try sets of 3, 2 or 1 etc.)

Example:

Week 1:

Monday:
Volume Squat 5x5 @ 315
Volume Bench 5x5 @ 205

Wednesday:
Light Squat 3x5 @ 220
Medium Press 3x5 @ 150

Friday:
Intensity Squat 5RM @ 395
Intensity Bench 5RM @ 255

Week 2:

Monday:
Volume Squat 5x5 @ 315
Volume Press 5x5 @ 165

Wednesday:
Light Squat 3x5 @ 220
Light Bench 3x5 @ 165

Friday:
Intensity Squat 5RM @ 400
Intensity Press 5RM @ 205

Volume doesn't increase every week, you want as little as possible that will cause a response on Friday and enable you to complete all reps.

Eventually you can do things like making Tuesday an assistance day, or doing a split template which splits the work over 4 days and drops the light day (like I'm doing right now).

All this information is in Justin Lascek's eBooks on the Texas Method. They're very informative.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

The SS wiki has the template and others for all this stuff.