CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #241
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: What is your #1 strength training question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Peters View Post
Chris, what is YOUR no1 question?? Surely there is something you are always pondering about that you cant find an answer to?
I don't think I can narrow it to absolute specifics, but I would say it would involve the optimal way to train the varying physical expression traits in order to achieve a given goal.

Plus, there are a TON of unproven theories. I would love to see definitive answers on those fronts. For example, hyperplasia, fiber type transformation from environment, exactly how the nervous system becomes fatigued or overtrained and so on.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #242
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Oh ok. It essentially is: for 10 days, 3x25 reps increasing by 10lbs each day. Then for a week drop to sets of 15 and increasing weight a bit more liberally, then 5's until back to normal.

Edit: for the back squat since it is a groin issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #243
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Oh ok. It essentially is: for 10 days, 3x25 reps increasing by 10lbs each day. Then for a week drop to sets of 15 and increasing weight a bit more liberally, then 5's until back to normal.

Edit: for the back squat since it is a groin issue.
I see. I would be fine with that as a way to reintroduce squats, but depending on the severity of the injury I would not go right to squats. Does that make sense? The method you outline would only be good for minor strains.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #244
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I don't think I can narrow it to absolute specifics, but I would say it would involve the optimal way to train the varying physical expression traits in order to achieve a given goal.

Plus, there are a TON of unproven theories. I would love to see definitive answers on those fronts. For example, hyperplasia, fiber type transformation from environment, exactly how the nervous system becomes fatigued or overtrained and so on.
Very interesting question, wish i had some knoweledge to help contribute, if you find your answers id love to know!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #245
John C Corona

Profile:

Chris, whats the easiest way of determining whether your nervous system is overtrained versus your muscles?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #246
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Chris, whats the easiest way of determining whether your nervous system is overtrained versus your muscles?
Well, overtraining tends to not be muscular in nature. Symptoms can include increased resting heart rate, increased BP, insomnia and so on.

If you are strength training one of the very earliest signs is simply stagnation. The skeletal muscles can recover from strength training very quickly (often within 48 hours or less), so stagnation is rarely due to muscular overtraining.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #247
Justin Wang

Profile:

Hey Chris,

What would it take for me to get up to a 1RM 300 back squat and 350 deadlift? I am currently 150 lb, been on GSLP for 2 months and my most recent numbers are:
squat 225 3x5, deadlift 245 1x6, bench 160 3x5, press 110 3x5

I'm hoping to hit those 1 RM numbers in 6 months, though that may be an unrealistic goal. Do you believe that I should stay on GSLP, or would you recommend a westside template like this: (WFS) http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...te-469668.html

What would you say are the advantages of a westside template over a linear progression program like the GSLP?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #248
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

Hey Justin,
I may know what Chris may say. I was in the same boat as you, I'm 5'5" and I was about 148 in mid-july. My lifts were a bit higher, squat 275/dl 315/bench 205/press 135.
With his advise I follow a WSB template. Since then lifts went with the exception of my press but focusing more on that now. Just this week squat was 300, a few weeks ago my DL was 345, bench 245. My press was still at 135 but it was easier for me to do.
In 3 months 25 plus pounds.
Haven't been on a linear progression in a long time, but when I chatted with Chris about increasing my strength, his answer was WS and its been working wonders for me. I do hydrostatic testing every so often, last one this earlier this month my weight was at 156, muscle mass increased, body fat is still low. Most importantly I feel a lot stronger, another plus coworkers and friends say they notice a big difference in my size.
Sorry for the rant, just wanted to give you the idea. Thanks to Chris.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #249
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Wang View Post
Hey Chris,

What would it take for me to get up to a 1RM 300 back squat and 350 deadlift? I am currently 150 lb, been on GSLP for 2 months and my most recent numbers are:
squat 225 3x5, deadlift 245 1x6, bench 160 3x5, press 110 3x5

I'm hoping to hit those 1 RM numbers in 6 months, though that may be an unrealistic goal. Do you believe that I should stay on GSLP, or would you recommend a westside template like this: (WFS) http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/we...te-469668.html

What would you say are the advantages of a westside template over a linear progression program like the GSLP?

Thanks!
I would definitely go with Westside over GSLP if you can. That template looks pretty good.

Westside uses the box squat almost exclusively. If you are training raw I would make sure to include a standard back squat as one of your ME squat day exercises (you should rotate one exercise weekly over a 4 week period and then start the rotation over again - Ex. full squat week 1 - good morning week 2 - box squat against bands week 3 - rack pull week 4 - start over).
Old 10-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #250
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I would definitely go with Westside over GSLP if you can. That template looks pretty good.

Westside uses the box squat almost exclusively. If you are training raw I would make sure to include a standard back squat as one of your ME squat day exercises (you should rotate one exercise weekly over a 4 week period and then start the rotation over again - Ex. full squat week 1 - good morning week 2 - box squat against bands week 3 - rack pull week 4 - start over).
Hey chris in regards to westside is it ok to rock a ME squat variation with deadlift assistance eg 3x10-12 or can you ME both or would that have asverse affects?