CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Luke Hope

Profile:
I could get a new dumbell set with equivalent plate weights for between a quarter to a fifth the price of a kettlebell.

I'd expect a premium for the kettlebell, but this seems excessive. What makes them so expensive?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Supply and demand? Limited suppliers/manufacturers.

(Message edited by vuprop on May 03, 2007)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Lake of supply and the fact they are still niche. Prices are coming down with brands like k2, lifeline, and kettlebell concepts. The latter two are about half the price of DD, k2 is about 2/3 the price.

howard
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Also look for Apollo KB's, the deals I have seen on them have been great. I found a great supplier here in California, but I know that won't help in Australia and I am sure the shipping costs would be out of sight.

Your bound to find a deal, keep searching and good luck.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
...and then there is shipping...
Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Hey Luke

I feel ya pain mate. I'm in Perth, the most remote city in the world!!! At least your in Melbourne and could get some from the Aust Kettlebell Co without the postage issues. But they still cost a small fortune for a lump of iron. I'm looking at $199 plus about $50 P & H for a 1 pood bell!!

I'm keen to use Kettlebells, but don't know if I'm that keen. Depending on who you ask, there's not much you can do with a kettlebell that can't be done with dumbbells. There's the whole weight off centre thing, but I don't know if the cost/benefit ratio is really there.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Luke Hope

Profile:
I discovered this guy which has them much cheaper (though P&H will be hell). Haven't tried the number yet.

http://www.kettlebellsaustralia.com/
Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Ro Bostick

Profile:
Just fyi for anyone who lives on the east coast, a chain of stores called Gym Source recently started selling kettlebells, I bought 2 last week after a friend tipped me off. They are ``on sale'' for roughly $1.30 a pound, though the per-pound price varies depending on the size you get. (and to Luke: dumbbells are 39 cents a pound, so yes they do gouge you on the KB prices). Anyway the price was competitive with the prices you find online and you obviously don't have to shell out the massive shipping costs. The quality is good too, they are the Power Systems brand and are in pounds not kilos. Nice thick smooth handles. I have a pair of dragon door KBs and the power system ones are almost just as good IMHO.

Also, I had an interesting discussion with the sales clerk who said they weren't planning to carry KBs at all but did a special order for a client and had some excess left over. He said the excess KBs sold out in 2 days. they ordered some more and they sold out in a couple of weeks. Did another order and he said a lady came in and bought all 8 of them. He said he couldn't understand why they were so popular. We had this conversation standing among a sea of $5,000 cardio equipment and home gym contraptions. The irony of his question was lost on him.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
James Falkner

Profile:
Probably the same reason bumpers are more per lb than iron weights. They (the KBs) are more effective and designed for a different problem then their cheaper counterparts, so it's a (somewhat) different market with different price "rules". Plus, people who buy KBs are usually more likely to shell out a premium because it is a niche market (compared to the masses). Once you see KBs being sold on QVC network you know they'll be cheaper ;-)
Old 05-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
John Velandra

Profile:
Then my wife can pick them up for a steal on QVC!!! LOL