CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #101
Christie Warner

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo... 4 days after Rhabdo. URGENT

"Yes...a trainer shouldn't tell a newbie to do 100 ghd sit-ups."

It's a shame that we humans seem to have utterly transcended natural selection. Perhaps this hypothetical newbie would be weeded out of society.

Last edited by Christie Warner; 01-05-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #102
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Lawson View Post

It's a shame that we humans seem to have utterly transcended natural selection. Perhaps this hypothetical newbie would be weeded out of society.
Honestly, I've been involved in athletics, working out, powerlifting, etc for almost 10 years now and I'd never even heard of the GHD situp before I started CrossFit. It's not common sense to scale something like that down significantly IMO they way 1,000 pushups for time would be. More needs to be done to make that fact known, especially to the people who follow the mainsite WODs and don't go to a cf gym.

Last edited by Thomas Green; 01-05-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #103
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Honestly, I've been involved in athletics, working out, powerlifting, etc for almost 10 years now and I'd never even heard of the GHD situp before I started CrossFit. It's not common sense to scale something like that down significantly IMO they way 1,000 pushups for time would be. More needs to be done to make that fact known, especially to the people who follow the mainsite WODs and don't go to a cf gym.
Solo MPer often as rxed (especially early on) No rhabdo, no instruction on rhabdo except for my L1 and what I read and learned on herebefore/while I was starting.

My job to manage my program and my health. I've messed it up before too. My fault.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #104
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Lawson View Post

Wow...
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #105
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Yeah, if a client comes to you obese and overweight and ignorant you have to do more work with them and scale their workouts and bring them up to speed on their knowledge. And you know why? Because you're their damn trainer and that's what they're paying you $200/month to do. If they already knew that stuff and were fit they wouldn't need you!

You honestly think that Joe Schmoe off the street is at fault because he didn't know the risk of GHD sit-ups? How many people join Crossfit because they saw the results of friends and family and never even think to go on the boards or the main website, never step outside their affiliate's immediate community? That's their fault?

Furthermore--if you're saying a client should be aware of the dangers of rhabdo and GHD situps--and the vast majority of people do not know these things because they've never worked out at a Crossfit gym--then you're basically saying the program is more dangerous and injurious than engaging in another fitness activity. If that is the case, that should probably be incorporated into waiver forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Solo MPer often as rxed (especially early on) No rhabdo, no instruction on rhabdo except for my L1 and what I read and learned on herebefore/while I was starting.

My job to manage my program and my health. I've messed it up before too. My fault.
So we should be expecting off-the-street clients to know everything in a Level 1 cert?

Last edited by Emily Mattes; 01-05-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #106
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:

Let's say there was an inherent danger in something as simple as ring dips - and doing high rep ring dips gave you rhabdo. But this information isn't widely known. The people at HQ know it. But they don't go out of there way to share it with you when they post a WOD consisting of 100 ring dips. If you end up in the ER for a week, you're saying it's 100% your fault?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #107
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Yeah, if a client comes to you obese and overweight and ignorant you have to do more work with them and scale their workouts and bring them up to speed on their knowledge. And you know why? Because you're their damn trainer and that's what they're paying you $200/month to do. If they already knew that stuff and were fit they wouldn't need you!

You honestly think that Joe Schmoe off the street is at fault because he didn't know the risk of GHD sit-ups? How many people join Crossfit because they saw the results of friends and family and never even think to go on the boards or the main website, never step outside their affiliate's immediate community? That's their fault?

Furthermore--if you're saying a client should be aware of the dangers of rhabdo and GHD situps--and the vast majority of people do not know these things because they've never worked out at a Crossfit gym--then you're basically saying the program is more dangerous and injurious than engaging in another fitness activity. If that is the case, that should probably be incorporated into waiver forms.

So we should be expecting off-the-street clients to know everything in a Level 1 cert?
Actually, no, at least I don't think so. The point I was referring to above was addressing non affiliate soloists like myself.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to do their own research before they show up at a CF gym. I mean why CF Ballys is cheaper? But it is surely a trainer's job to be ultra aware of a myriad of risks rhabdo one of them, and to educate them from there.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #108
Christie Warner

Profile:

WOW - it's called dark humor. Think someone mentioned it a few pages ago, though they mentioned it was just akin to law enforcement. Funny, I was raised by a cop, so maybe it is just a law enforcement thing.

Anyways...

Well, I'm someone who told her trainer "no" when asked to do an exercise post c-section that I didn't feel physically capable of doing at the time. I know my body and I didn't want to get hurt. Ironically, I began doing GHD sit ups for the first time in my life 5 weeks post c-section, so that was not the exercise I said no to. Was I stupid about it? NO. Sure, I was strong before getting pregnant, but still. There is a risk in ANYTHING you do. GHD sit ups are not the devil people make them out to be IMO. In fact, they helped stretch out my scar tissue! :-) And, for the record, I don't train at a box.

If I were that hypothetical newbie, I'd have asked the trainer to just punch me in the face repeatedly for 10 minutes instead. Then, I would have asked for my money back and left. But, maybe I was raised to possess a different mindset than most? I do not believe in being a victim, see. And I also analyze and question everything.

Just do your research people. Take up some responsibility as well. But are there stupid trainers out there? Hell yes and some are reckless.

Last edited by Christie Warner; 01-05-2011 at 09:02 PM..
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #109
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Let's say there was an inherent danger in something as simple as ring dips - and doing high rep ring dips gave you rhabdo. But this information isn't widely known. The people at HQ know it. But they don't go out of there way to share it with you when they post a WOD consisting of 100 ring dips. If you end up in the ER for a week, you're saying it's 100% your fault?
probably 90% and I'm the one who was facing the consequences.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #110
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
probably 90% and I'm the one who was facing the consequences.
I'd sue the company who made the rings, but that's just me.

Is coffee dangerous when hot? Just wondering....