CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
Scott Nixon

Profile:
Mixing CF AND SS?

Hi Guys,
As I am crrently sidelined as such ( training best I can around a knee injury ) I was doing some research into improving my training when I am back 100%. I train CF along with my Muay Thai , often training six times a week, sometimes I will do CF and Muay Thai on the same days, obviousily scaling the WOD etc. I would like to improve my strength and can get a copy of Starting strength in the next couple of days. I love CF and basically want to know as I have to cut back on my Muay Thai due to the obvious injury and work commitments ( i.e not being injured ) , could I incorporate SS into my CF weekly workouts.

For example: CF, SS, CF, off CF, SS, CF, off
or................CF, SS, CF, CF, SS, CF. off.

I believe by SS, I mean something like a 5x5 weight session. I am very lean at present as I was supposed to fight in two weeks at 185lbs. I am 6ft 4ins in height and would not object to gaining some weight in the right way as I will not be planning to fight until early next year, so keeping weight off is not an issue for a while at least. Some lean mass would be cool I suppose!!

Another question would be if the WOD is say an OLY lift type session with singles or triplets should I do that in the same week as the 5x5 sessions or just do the WOD's that involve rounds, 21.15.9, running, rowing etc.

Apoloigies if this is a common Question I have read other threads but ended up confused on the subject........Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance, Scott
Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
James Bailey

Profile:
Re: Mixing CF AND SS?

Hi,

It is a fairly common question, you could run a search for ME/Black Box. A common approach to this is to do a 3/1 cycle with Day one being SS and the next two days metcon.

I have been following this for a month or so and seen a lot of improvement in my lifts with improvement in metcon too. Though my times for bodyweight only workouts has dropped slightly, probably due to the extra 5-7kg I have put on from all the heavy lifting. That will balance out soon enough though I'm sure.

Check out Anthony Bainbridge's log to see what the schedule could look like.

wfs http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...=11819&page=91

Good luck...

James
Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Scott Nixon

Profile:

Cheers James, Have checked out the links you suggested which in turn have lead to numerous other links on the forum. Thank you for your prompt reply, hopefully I did not sound like the person on the comments page of the WOD that asks the standard FAQ instead of looking at the FAQ first!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Your first example is very commonly used around here.

But it's not Starting Strength. SS is the program, as designed by Coach Rip. If you screw around with it, it's not SS anymore, but some bastard-child freak of nature

CF, SS, CF, off CF, SS, CF, off

As mentioned already, research MEBB, which can comprise of a 5x5 routine or something similar. As long as you're giving your body enough rest and enough nutrition to recover properly, that's a potentially great system.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I think Anthony was suggesting to use SS, CF, CF , OFF split as it gives more optimized rest periods for heavy lifts (rest day right before SS)...
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Scott Nixon

Profile:

Cheers Elliot, Where would you recommend I look, just around the forum threads or Google it etc?

Scott
Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Scott Nixon

Profile:

Just had a look at Alex Europa's Blog spot on another thread and that seems to hit the nail on the head for me at the moment anyway. Still need to do some research into this MEBB thing, today was the first time I heard of it.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
I think Anthony was suggesting to use SS, CF, CF , OFF split as it gives more optimized rest periods for heavy lifts (rest day right before SS)...
At the affiliate, Anthony's had me do the WOD on each day of CF's 3 day cycle. But on the first day of the three, before doing the WOD, he's had me also do a strength movement.

In my case, I wanted to bring up my shoulder strength, so I did 3 X 5 shoulder presses, followed by that day's WOD. And was canny about shifting things around a bit, if for e.g. the WOD was heavy on shoulder work.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Luke Pliakis

Profile:

"You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.... If you choose Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday as your workout days, the planets won't get knocked out of alignment, so don't sweat this one, as long as you get in 3 workouts on 3 non-consecutive days each week. NO, YOU CANNOT TRAIN 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS, so don't ask."

"Overtraining - The act of training too often/too heavy/too long, which causes the body's recuperative systems to become overwhelmed so that you can no longer recover from training. Performance is DRASTICALLY reduced, as a result, as the body cannot combat what proves to be excessive and chronic fatigue."

Both of these come from the "Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ"

Just my $.02.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Steve Berryman

Profile:

I believe Rippetoe suggest doing 3 days a week of the SS program with 1 or 2 at most metcon workouts on off-days if you want some "cardio" thrown in. The purpose of SS is to gain strength and mass, and "cardio" is going to slow that process down.

Try 1 metcon every other week and see how it feels. If your recovery is fine, then try 1 every week, etc.