CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
David Gessen

Profile:
skeleton

The stupid head-gym instructor told me that he bans me from the squat rack, well, he can play with my nuts.
He says I'm too young(15) to squat, not to mention deadlift.
He says my skeleton isn't built yet for squatting, and he says my technique is bad.
It was the last rep in the last set, I havn't been focused, I need to sleep more

I know he is not right, because, like everything else, everything comes to Israel after 3-5 years after US.
I know Starting Strength is a great book and I will keep following it.
So he will understand that he is wrong in 3 years...

What do you think?

Actually just from doing Starting Strength for 3 weeks, I gained 22lbs on my bench press, 33 lbs on squat, my arms got bigger in an half an inche!
My Runs, sprints, endruance, swims got alot easier and got more intensive and with more distance! My legs became bigger, much bigger so is my back.
I discovered that I can do deadlift of 88lbs, I actually can lift an refiigirator from the floor
NO WAY I'M CHANGING THE PLAN!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: skeleton

Keep on keepin' on Dave. **** what he says. Just make sure to keep that form in check.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Try to get a training partner who can cue you on your form (and you can cue him on his too).

Anyway, that's a myth that is gonna stick around (weight training and younger kids) so it's not like he'll see the light in 3 years or something. Just like high reps low weight is 'toning' or whatever.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Amen on what these guys said about form. Be very strict, and get a good training partner. If you can't sneak into the gym on a given day, you can do air squats, and walking lunges. You just keep gaining the strengthl. We're behind you. Ignore the "tipshut" around you.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Form is critical. You can't mess with it.

But 15 too young to squat or DL? Nope. I've one lad who's 15, and another who's 9. Both are small for their ages.

A year ago, they started lifting on a SS cycle, before starting Crossfit. Both now routinely squat and DL with weights that are quite heavy in comparison with their bodyweight. e.g. my youngest deadlifts just under double bodyweight for reps, at a #60 bodyweight.

Give your head-gym instructor your copy of SS to borrow, and flag the chapter Dr. Lon Kilgore wrote debunking the myths about weight training with kids.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
Marie Peters

Profile:

he said your skeleton isn't built for squatting yet?

that is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Jason Naubur

Profile:

I agree with all posts here regarding the skeleton.

However! You mentioned this is the Head Instructor, so whatever his thoughts are on this you need to work with him on this, or you will probably get banned altogether. ****ing him off or disobeying him will not help anything. And I find the most critical thing here is the 'bad form' comment. If you have bad form, you absolutely have to work on that.

Maybe you can respectfully talk to him about your plans, show him the SS book and some other studies and ask for help with your form. Show him where you are coming from on this. Show him your passion for the lifts and maybe find it as a common ground. Confronting him will put him on the defensive and will get you no where. I understand your frustration, but if you use the type of comments you used here with him I can guarantee that he will never respect you.

my 2 cents.

Jason
Old 02-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Luke Pliakis

Profile:

David,

What Jason said is important, don't risk getting kicked out of the gym just because you don't see eye to eye with this "gym instructor". If you have the Second Edition of Starting Strength, there should be over 40 pages dedicated to the squat alone. I would say read up, practice with someone watching your form, go back to this guy, show him, and see what he says is wrong with your form (if anything). If his suggestions are counter productive, show him the book and ask if he can explain why his suggestions differ from those of Rip. Unless this guy has 30+ years of coaching Olympic lifters, I really doubt he will be able to counter that.

Try to be the bigger person about this, you know you can do this, show him, prove him wrong, and then show him after you're done with the Rip's program what it has done for you.

Congrats on the gains too Good Luck bro!