CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #31
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Great respect for Crossfit Athletes

Hey Anthony, maybe you can share with Doug the scheduling you use to mix heavy lifting in with the WoDs.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #32
Neil Khant

Profile:

One of the guys had mentioned looking into scaling down the WOD.

Although that may strange for a guy that seems as though he hasn't had to scale down anything in the gym for quite a while.

Here is a site that can give you a scaled WOD: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

You may not need to scale weight but rather the distances or intervals. I was told when I started that it is better to work your way up to the full WOD then to overdo it and have to scale back.

As a beginner to Crossfit even some of the scaled down WOD will be a lot. As you can see we are a tight community and everyone wants to see each individual succeed.

Again Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Holland View Post
I think its time to give up the BF and become more concerned about conditioning. So what if I can lift a car if I cant keep up with the cross trainers...lol

So, I hope with all these quick power moves I don't injure.
Dang, these power cleans are hard. That squat while holding BB over head is insane. I just cant do it! I will keep trying.
D
Time to stop lifting cars and start pushing them.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
Luke Pliakis

Profile:

Hey Doug,

Welcome to the group. Every time I see / hear of a really big guy trying CrossFit, and then getting into it... Well it puts a smile on my face.

Only thing I can say:
Get Starting Strength, read it, and tell us how your form has been compared to what you will read (I'm very curious), and take it from there.

Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Hey Anthony, maybe you can share with Doug the scheduling you use to mix heavy lifting in with the WoDs.
Well, after lots of experimenting, I found that 1-2 heavy lifts before the metcon on the first day of the 3 day cycle seems to work well.

Adjust according to recovery/progress - meaning sometimes skip the heavy work, sometimes skip the metcon, etc.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #35
Steven Ngo

Profile:

first WOD and it was "Eva"?! And you're sticking with it?! you, sir, are a trooper
Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #36
Doug Holland

Profile:

@Anthony

Well, let me tell you about how I felt today at noontime. Eva WOD has those kipping pull-ups right? – and I did them as fast as I could with an assist machine. I feel soreness in places like never before (deep upper lats, deep posterior delts, and forearms right at he joint structure).

@ Mirza

Quote:
it would be very impressive to see you doing muscle ups. I know it can be done, my friend at 190-200# does 6 kipping ones consecutively w/o touching the ground. On rings.
Now I am going to order some rings. $75.00. Looks like the latest WOD has them. I know I probably couldn’t do OLY because of my current weight but I think it is time to start trying.
Quote:
Right now I am focused on increasing my muscle size before switching my workout to maily focus on gymnastics strenght moves. Side projects that work in hand with my main goals would be increasing numbers in Squat, DL, Snatch, Clean and the Jerk.

Once I switch to maily gymnastics: My goals will shift to reaching Full Planche hold, Full Lever hold for over 10 seconds and the Iron Cross. Side projects then will be achieving variying handstands, HSPU's freestanding, the olympic lifts, splits, pike press ( flexiblity preequisite of course) etc..

This is probably over the course of the next year or so. If your going to the gym just to grind through the same routine without set MEASURABLE goals then you are cutting yourself short.
Maybe some clear goals will come to mind after the first month of WOD’s

@ Tarun

I think I am going to give up all isolated exercises this month and just focus on he WOD’s to see what happens. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

@ Bill

Good to see others from all walks of life here (competitive bodybuilder)

@ Neil

I agree, I have to scale down the WOD. No way do I have the endurance for multiple full body movements with explosive reps.

Quote:
Time to stop lifting cars and start pushing them.
Haaaaa

@ Luke

I have managed to keep desent form over the years, and on occasion some sloppiness’ creeps in. Videos like these (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...3D688F10C4DE1F) come around from time-to-time and reminds me to keep tight. I will get that book to make sure I am not getting to sloppy

@ Anthony

Quote:
I found that 1-2 heavy lifts before the metcon on the first day of the 3 day cycle seems to work well.
Good tip Anthony

@ Steven

It made me see how weak I really am. I am so pumped to make a full WOD (I guess you call it Rx) from the front page (at least 10 different ones). I hope to do this at a weight of 260 pounds.

I am so pumped that I am heading to the gym now…LOL

I am one day behind, so todays workout will be

Five rounds for time of:
400 meter Run
50 Squats
30 Back extensions

Doug
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #37
Doug Holland

Profile:

Well, I think I did ok for this workout (my third WOD).

Five rounds for time of:
400 meter Run
50 Squats
30 Back extensions

I scaled it to:

Five rounds for time of:
400 meter Run
25 Squats
25 Back extensions

It took 37 minutes to finish all 5 rounds. I felt good today even though I was very short on breath on round 5. One thing I added was holding a small 10 pound weight to my chest to keep perfect form. I also used a small weighted ball for my gluteus to come in contact with in order to stay deep through the squat rep.

My friends in the gym think I have lost my mind

I think I am addicted

Doug
Old 02-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #38
Luke Pliakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Holland View Post
My friends in the gym think I have lost my mind

I think I am addicted
Dare them to try a WOD as Rx'd for 3 days in a row... Tell us if any of them puke

Again, welcome to the group!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #39
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Pliakis View Post
Dare them to try a WOD as Rx'd for 3 days in a row... Tell us if any of them puke

Again, welcome to the group!
Luke,

I have dared one. However, most look at me like I have had a Britney Spears breakdown. They are used to me lifting heavy weights and now they see me do 125 air squats - run to back extensions - run in place while my knees hit my chest for 110 seconds and they

Who cares - I am almost 40! I just love the high I got in the 4th round.

Doug
Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #40
Robert Callahan

Profile:

It is threads like this that just make me all happy and fuzzy inside!! I love the enthusiasum and it makes me pumped to get stronger!!! What an incredible community this is! :-D

-Robert