CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
Luke Pliakis

Profile:
Re: How Long for a Single Starting Strength Workout?

Mike,

I just finished 6 weeks of Starting Strength. Here are my results.

For warm ups for each exercise I did the following:
10 reps - The bar
5 reps - 50%
3 reps - 70%
2 reps - 80%
5 reps / 3 sets - Full weight I had to do that day.

The time I would take between each set would be only a minute or so (just enough for one of the other guys doing the program to do their set). When the weight started getting pretty high for me, I'd take a little bit more time. Our workouts would start around 6pm every day and end around 7-730pm (add in some time where we all made fun of each other or shot the ****).

Aside from that I did the Samson stretch bc my groin would hurt right by my legs from squats. (For this I figured out my knee was going forward just a bit more than they should, causing my leg to stretch where it shouldn't. I lifted my toes up while squatting to remind myself not to do it.)
Old 02-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Vohs View Post
45 seconds to 1 minute is not optimal in a SS workout. Rippetoe says 2 or 3 -5 or 7 minutes between working sets is best. When doing a strength workout with 3 sets of 5 reps you need the time to recover or else you'll need to drop the amount of weight your doing. Strength is the goal here. From starting strength rip says more advanced trainees from the novice phase may need 5 minutes between sets while very strong lifters many need 10 minutes or more between sets. It basically comes down to how much weight your up to and whether your a novice, intermediate, or advanced lifter. For novies he says about 2 minutes should be fine. I personally use 3 minutes right now and I'm squatting 245, benching 255, pressing 130, and deadlifting 315.
If your following SS then your Squat should be much much higer than your Bench.

Anyways, a standard SS session should not take more than 60 minutes. My sessios last 90 minutes because I focus on skill work for Oly lifting for about 20 - 30 minutes.

Rest should be about 2 minutes after each work set and 3 - 7 minutes when you start lifting heavier. Warm up sets should be about 30 sec - 1 min depending on the weight you use for warm up's. The purpose of the Squat however, is to warm the muscles up properly for the Press/Bench and Deadlift/Power Clean.

Last edited by Kevin Perry : 02-21-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #23
Tom Fetter

Profile:

5-10 minutes overall warmup (including stretching out my shoulders)

About 15 minutes for each movement - including 3-4 warmup sets at a ramping-up weight, and 4-5 minutes between the work sets.

In the end, it's working out to a bit under an hour.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #24
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
If your following SS then your Squat should be much much higer than your Bench.

Anyways, a standard SS session should not take more than 60 minutes. My sessios last 90 minutes because I focus on skill work for Oly lifting for about 20 - 30 minutes.

Rest should be about 2 minutes after each work set and 3 - 7 minutes when you start lifting heavier. Warm up sets should be about 30 sec - 1 min depending on the weight you use for warm up's. The purpose of the Squat however, is to warm the muscles up properly for the Press/Bench and Deadlift/Power Clean.
I realize the squat should be higher than the bench. I have squatted 330 lbs. for 5 reps before but with bad form and a high bar position. I just started SS and reset my squats to start at 135 lbs. so I could work on form and currently they are at 245 lbs. and still going up quite easily. I'm also just naturally very strong at bench pressing. You need to rest as long as it takes so that you can lift the optimal amount of weight across for the 3 sets. The goal is strength in the novice program of Starting Strength.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Warming up for squats really takes the longest time for me. Around 15 mins. The other warmups only take around 3-5 minutes each. My entire seassion usually lasts 1 hour to an hour and 15 mins.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #26
Simeon Priest

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
At any point you can add in ab work at the end, 3 sets of whatever exercise, 10-15 reps. Then once you're in the groove of SS, usually about 2-3 weeks in, you can make this adjustment:

WOA:
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
DL 1x5
Dips 2x8-12
Ab work 3x10-15

WOB:
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Power Cleans 5x3 (or Pendlay Rows 3x5)
Pull-Ups or Chin-Ups 3x8-12 (or 2 sets of pull/chin ups if you're doing the rows instead of the cleans)
Ab work 3x10-15

after 2-3 more weeks you can make this adjustment:

Friday WO Only:
Bicep Curl 2x8-12
Tricep Extension 2x8-12

3 weeks after that you may add:

WOA:
GHR or Hyperextension: 2x12-15

So after two months, if you choose to add everything, it will look like:

Monday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2x8-12
GHR or Hypers - 2x12-15
Abs

Wednesday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Power Cleans - 5x3 (or Pendlay Rows 3x5)
Pull/chinups - 3x8-15 (or 2x8-15)
Abs

Friday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2x8-15
Curls - 2x8-12
TriEx - 2x8-12
GHR or Hypers - 2x12-15
Ab Work

So this way you've gotten everything from the CFWU incorporated progressively. Keep in mind this stuff is optional, it's fluff, so add it sparingly as recovery and your goals dictate.
I like the looks of adding the things you've added along the road of SS. I'm curious how you've decided which exercises to add, and at which point the body is ready for them?

Thanks.