CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Matthew Eugene Cobb

Profile:
Free community saturday workouts??

Ive seen people say that their gyms have free Saturday WOD's for non-members.

Is this common? Anyone know anyone in the North Atlanta area that offers this?

I'm quitting my local gym and working out in my garage to save money and because my schedule. I was planning on still going to the local gym once or twice a month an paying a drop in fee. But a free Saturday class would be even better
Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:
Re: Free community saturday workouts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eugene Cobb View Post
Ive seen people say that their gyms have free Saturday WOD's for non-members.

Is this common? Anyone know anyone in the North Atlanta area that offers this?

I'm quitting my local gym and working out in my garage to save money and because my schedule. I was planning on still going to the local gym once or twice a month an paying a drop in fee. But a free Saturday class would be even better
I dont know if its common. We dont do it.. we have events once in a while that will be open to public.

With the gyms offering free open classes that are not just doing it for fun they are wanting to get new members.

If you start showing up every Saturday just for a free workout I'm sure they will ask you to sign up at some point.

Have fun!

K
Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eugene Cobb View Post
Ive seen people say that their gyms have free Saturday WOD's for non-members. Is this common?
That's true. Many do.

Quote:
Anyone know anyone in the North Atlanta area that offers this?
Dunno. Others here will have to advise on that. You could also call around to those gyms and/or go to their web sites to find out.

Quote:
I was planning on still going to the local gym once or twice a month an paying a drop in fee. But a free Saturday class would be even better.
In the Austin area, I have seen several gyms scale back on this free Saturday community WOD thing. The box that I go to has gone from every week to every other week to once a month. Another box that I used to go to on Saturdays when my box wasn't open went from doing free community WODs to charging some small-ish fee for them. Another started limiting how many free comm WODs you could do for free before they started charging.

The reasons for these changes vary, but I suspect that one underlying theme for some of them is that they don't want you to just come in week after week and get a free workout; they want to give you a free taste or two, give you a chance to evaluate CF and their box, and then (ideally) have you sign up. If all that you do is go back week after week for a free workout, then they are putting resources into you for no return on investment.

So I encourage you to not be approaching this with the desire to take advantage of a box (or a number of them) for a free workout as a means of keeping your expenses down. That's not the point of the free workouts, and eventually you may no longer be welcome if you try to take advantage of them.

- Mark
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

A few boxes here in portland maine offer a free scaled class. Open to the public, come as many times as you want. You just need to sign up ahead of time online.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)