CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Bill Russell

Profile:
I started the Armstrong Pull-up program yesterday, determined to get myself to 20 reps of dead-hang overhand pullups.

3 months ago I could barely pull myself halfway up to the bar once. Now after 3 months of Crossfit I'm doing 3 with good form, plus two more 3/4 the way up.

Tomorrow is Day 3 of the pullup program where I do 9 training sets. Inorder to complete all 9 sets, I will only be able to do one pullup per set.

My question is, since I can only do 3 max now, am I better off doing assisted or jumping pullups to get my rep count higher, or stick with unassisted and gut it out?

Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Sage Burgener

Profile:
Bill- I used to not be able to do pull ups AT ALL. I could get about half way up on my first one. (I guess i was used to someone pushing my feet up for me when i was 4) Frusterated that i could lift 165 lbs over head, but couldnt lift my own weight, i started doing kipping pull-ups. They are AMAZING! After a couple months of practicing and mastering the technique, i could accomplish 30 kipping pull ups in a row. After working with those kipping, i can now do about 5 pullups at dead hang. The technique is critical, but with practice anyone can accomplish anything. If you search around on crossfit, im sure you can find Eva's kipping instruction video. I didnt use it myself, but i've heard it works wonders for those who dont get the kipping motion.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Sage has a good point about the kips they are full function good stuff.

Though if you are dead set on deag hangs, then the best way to go about it since you can do 3 unassited is to continue unassisted. Do 1 as often as you can throughout the day. As you said if its 9 sets of 1 in your program than fine but the key is to increase the volume and keep the rep count low!.

You could also try this. I found this works as well! - Set yourself a goal (which you have) Write it down in large print somewhere in plain view close to your pull-up bar!

Whenever you go by that pull-up bar do let's say half or 1/3 of what you can do in a single maximum effort! Just do lots of pull-ups, or a little but often is another way of putting it! Having the goal written down in plain view will be a reminder to go and get it whenever you can. Now every other day try and pump out say one or two pull-ups more each set. Its not set in stone but nothing in life is, so use your instinct and it will happen faster than you can say tickity-boo!

Thats all I've got, hope that helps.

P.S. Sage I can pump out anywhere between 20-30 dead hang pull-ups (depending on the day) but I can't press worth anything! I'm on the opposite end of your frustration!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
David Stegman

Profile:
After 8 months of practicing pull-ups I have finally reached a goal of mine. 30 in a row from a dead hang.

When I started I could barely do 2 on my own. So you will progress it just takes time.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thats Awesome Dave, I started a little after you but hosed my elbow greasing the groove to aggressively and kipping with bad form I guess. Now I am back at 3 where I started :-( Bill, I am sharing this cuz tendonitis sucks and your muscles progress faster than your tendons so be patient with your progress.

(Message edited by kmckay on July 25, 2006)
Old 07-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Bill Russell

Profile:
Thanks for the input Kevin. I think the reason I never worked on pullups was that I always had elbow problems, mainly golfer's elbow, or the medical term Medial Epicondylitis.

I had a lot of elbow issues doing Hapkido, the joint locks and throws made things worse. Eventually I got stronger and now my elbows are rock solid.

Sage-thanks for the tip on the kipping pullups. I have seen Eva's video (girl kicks !) but I am waiting until I can get my dead hang reps up a bit before working them in. I do a lot of jumping pullups with major focus on the negative drop to full extension.

I can't wait for my ring order from Tyler to get filled, I think I'm order number 50,000!!!! Then I will become obsessed with muscle ups..........