CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
Hey, I have a friend who's son plays football for a junior high school but does not crossfit. He asked me if I could dig up a good leg work out to add to his son,s training. He plays safetey and wide reciever.

Thank you
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

Cleans, squats, deadlifts, hill sprints, regular sprints, swings, overhead squats. Light weights to learn form, then heavier weights for power, strength, and speed.

More than anything I would focus on perfect sprinting, squatting, and deadlift form, especially at that age. Heels in the weight room, toes on the track and football field, big chest and correct lumbar curve all the time.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
William Winger

Profile:
Couple back squats with jump squats, and deadlifts with cleans. Otherwise, exactly what Russ said.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:05 AM   #5
George Brothers

Profile:
saw this posted a while ago, think someone called it super squats or something like that:
do as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes
20 air squats
20 lunges
20 jumping squats
that should be a leg burner
Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 AM   #6
David Ristau

Profile:
On the field you can add some push & pull sprints. Short distant sprints either caring, pushing or draging a weighted object. Hill sprints were already mentioned, you can also use the stands {if sturdy enough} to sprint up and down the stairs. As already mentioned, keep good form.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Joe Celso

Profile:
Though they have been mentioned, in the weight room I would give priority to cleans, jerks and snatches. These have greater focus on power, speed, agility and balance (more important than strength in football) than do the other lifts. OHS and DL's also important. Done right, I think DB/KB swings would be very effective.

There's a guy at CF Atlanta (Thizzle?) that was doing a DB clean up to a jump box. I haven't tried these, but they could be good. Normal box jumps would be great as well as a side-to-side hop over a rope (at like 18" or so)... no rest, just pop over and back.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Motion Macivor

Profile:
The side to side jumping is a really good addition to the already long list of great excercises. Most knee and ankle injuries occur during quick directional changes or stops so It's very important to prepare young joints for all the stresses of game day. Not just the muscles.

I bet if you did a set of big compound movements (something like man makers, squat cleans, burpies, box jump burpies, or deadlifts) followed imediately by a dot drill or a ladder drill you would probably develope a great deal of athletesism in a short period of time.

BTW the whole idea of a "leg workout" is bogus the body is one piece, train it that way (yes I stole that line).

:happy: with that in mind I'll toss in another vote for the OHS.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Sean Pizel

Profile:
I am told that the DB clean onto a box was first deomstrated in RutMan's latest video.

That Thizzle guy is a cheap hack.

I can't help but think the exercise might be most useful as a skills-transfer exercise, since there is a lot of pressure to use a true balistic jump and a deep squat. These seem like common sticky points when people are learning lightweight cleans.

Jumping on the box reinforces those good habits.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Ha Ha Sean, what are you doing on the computer? you are supposed to be running around SF burning up the town and jump squatting onto garbage cans and stuff.
I agree with Sean, the jump squat clean onto the plyo box is awesome...Got it off of "Dumbell Moves" on bootcampfitness.com, Coach Ruts site and DVD. A "must have."