CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I understand the concept of attaching heavy chain to the end of barbells... the higher you lift the heavier it gets.

I don't exactly have the resources for heavy chains. Anyone have suggestions on a substitute product which would do the same thing ??
Old 09-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
You can also use bands, which is a similar idea and works great. Very popular in powerlifting circles.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=181&pid=248

When you say you don't have the resources, is it supplier, or money? You can also attach regular chains to the barbell, the loop more chain at the bottom so it's 5 or 6 chains thick at the point that's on the floor. Just an idea.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I don't have a home gym so dragging chain in and out of LA Fitness would sort of be a pain in the a$$. Anything I could use as substitute would be great.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Hate to say it, but realistically LA Fitness probably won't let you use fancy stuff like that (to corporate of a gym for such creative ideas that actually work). Chances are if you want to train the powerlifting way, find a local powerlifting gym as they probably have all the accessories. Otherwise you could always alternate your days of ME and DE with your lifts on your own.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
As Jesse said, bands are a good substitute. I have never used them myself, but my Coach thinks they are great, and was using them with Sage to get her legs strong coming out of the hole. but as others mentioned, i don't know how 24 hour fitness would feel about you using them. they are not always the most educated over there...
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/29624.jpg
Old 09-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Sage Burgener

Profile:
That has got to be THE most attractive picture ever posted on here.. thank you Aimee..

on a side note, band squats SUCK, but they are extremely beneficial for people with chicken legs like me. :pepper:
Old 09-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
your welcome. that picture rocks sage.
what is with the dancing chili pepper? don't you know it is peanut butter jelly time? :banana:

personally Kevin, I think that your legs can get just as strong doing 10 sets of 3 back squats, and front squats. I guess it just depends on what your goal is. As i mentioned, sage did bands squats to help her to drive out of the hole. if you don't have that problem (as i don't), then i don't feel that these are necessary. If you want to use the bands or chains, this is what Coach B has said in the past... "i used chains most of the time, but when bull came over to mikesgym he talked me into bands....i think the drive thru is greater and felt more signicant when coming out of the hole. we are using at this point doing 5 sets x 3 wo bands, then 5 setx x 5 with bands. taking 50% of best bk sqt, then adding the lightest band. move up with bands not weight until one can use all 3 band sizes. bull uses 3 bands on each side"
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
Ross Hunt

Profile:
How long has Bull been training at Mike's Gym, Anaya?

I saw him at the NM State Games last summer, and then the year before that, too, I think.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
he actually just came out for a week a couple of months ago to visit my Coach. we had a lot of fun having him in the gym. he was super motivating. he really worked a lot with sage on her squat technique and the importance in pushing her hips forward while finding the center of gravity when coming out of the squat... along with super breathing techniques that have helped us all.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If you need help getting out of the hole, you could always do box squats too (if you dont have access to a band)