CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Are there a lot of you who do the WOD early morning (~7am) and follow it with a breakfast?

How is your energy at that time? I'll be switching my workouts for early morning soon and was curious
Old 06-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
I personally do my workouts in the morning around 9 am...i generally eat a well balanced meal around 7ish...I find that if i go to the gym on an empty stomach, i just dont have the energy and seem to drag through my workouts...I know i dont speak for everyone, so it will be intersting to see how other people respond to that...
Old 06-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
I dont work out that early usually around 11, but I dont eat until after b/c when I get up im ansty to workout and ive already had a lot of meetings with pukie since I started CF in early 05. I am usually doing great, unless I get less than 8 hrs of sleep. If I wasnt so inconsistant with training I could tell you how much ive increased scores, but I cant and not to mention injuries but I doubt that has to do with having an empty stomach?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
I usually workout first (6-8am), then eat. It doesn't bother me, and I typically run 3-5 miles first, then WOD.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:21 AM   #5
John Frazer

Profile:
For short, intense workouts, I perform better on an empty stomach. Some workouts (e.g. anything that combines running and burpees) simply require an empty stomach.

For longer workouts, I try to eat a snack (for me that's a 2-block Zone snack, which is half a meal) a couple hours before the workout. For instance, Crossfit DC works out at 10 AM Sundays and I won't get home afterwards until past noon. So I'll eat a snack around 7:00 and hope I can keep it down...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:20 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Frank, for almost three years, every morning, I wake up at 6:15, have a cup of coffee (waiting for my Aeropress...see "Equipment"), read the boards, and at 7:00 a.m. start my CF warm-up. I'm usually out of the house by 8:15 latest. I throw my breakfast into cups (eggs and vegetables) and eat it in the car during the commute. Have fishoil prior to leaving the house and a bag of almonds in the car.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
Frank,
I prefer to workout first thing when I wake up... but being on shift work has prevented me from doing so for the past year and a half. I found that getting up and getting a workout done boosted my energy levels for the rest of the day. I am looking forward to the day shift, when I can get back on this routine.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I workout on empty most of the time. I seem to perform better having nothing in the stomach and haven't had a bout with Pukie or Queasy when doing this.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
Hi Frank- During the week, I get up at 0415 and workout. Sometimes I'll sip a CHO & protein mix during the workout, other times, just water. Can't say there's a huge difference either way. I've been at this schedule for a while, and although my body has become more accustomed to the oh-dark-thirty workout, I know that I'm not as strong as I would be later in the day. That said, there is no other time I can get a workout in. I think I remember Dan John writing "Fifty percent of success is just showing up; most of my workouts suck, but I do them". That's basically sums up my attitude toward the early a.m. workout.

After working out, I clean up & eat breakfast in the car on the way to work.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 06-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

usually my workouts are between 9-10am. Although sometimes I go alittle earlier like 6 or 7 am. If theres running in the wod I like to get that done early.
As far as eating something I usually have something lite at 6 or 7 am and I am good to go when I workout. Usually its anxiety that gets me and then I feel light headed for the workout. If I dont think about the workout and just dive into it I am not filled with anxiety and I can bust through it.
If I dont get a (pr) for that workout it doesnt bother me at all.