CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Just starting...

I am a 33 yo male who tapes out (standard Navy measurement Neck circumference to waist) at 24% BF. I want to get started with CrossFit and stick with it to improve both my fitness, weight, and health. I can pass the Navy's physical readiness test reasonably well, but want to do better in that arena as well.

What is the best way to start in the CrossFit methodology?

Should I start with the WOD with scaled back weights?

Also, I can't do more than 3 consecutive pull-ups - is it okay for me to use an assisted machine to complete the prescribed reps, should I do as many as I can rest a minute and repeat to complete, or should I do as many as I can then carry on with the rest of the work-out?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
David Miller

Profile:
Re: Just starting...

Dustin,
first off,

A good place to start is to go to the "Start Here" on the main page and check out the BrandX scaled workouts.

Using an assisted pullup machine is a good way to build your strength in pullups, just make sure to give it your all and do as much as you possibly can. When scaling you should note that you should scale weight, not reps.

For example, anytime a 21-15-9 workout comes up, make sure to do all the reps even if you have to scale the weight down. Never change it to 15-9-5 or something like that. It's been said many times before but INTENSITY is the key to improvement with CF. No matter what weight you're using just make sure you're in the gym (or garage) busting your tail with a whole lotta intensity. The strength to do the Rx'd workouts will follow!

Welcome again, and good luck!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Dustin,
first off,

A good place to start is to go to the "Start Here" on the main page and check out the BrandX scaled workouts.

Second this. Check out BrandX and look at the scaled WOD's; I routinely follow the Pack.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

Depends if your 3 pullups are kipping or dead hangs...if dead hangs you could do many more kip pullups. It's important to find an affiliate...somebody that knows the movements.

You can watch somebody hit a 98 mph fastball all day long...doesn't mean its something you can do without proper coaching...

Happy Trails!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Depends if your 3 pullups are kipping or dead hangs...if dead hangs you could do many more kip pullups. It's important to find an affiliate...somebody that knows the movements.

You can watch somebody hit a 98 mph fastball all day long...doesn't mean its something you can do without proper coaching...

Happy Trails!
I have yet to find an affiliate in my area. I looked in the affiliate section of the board with no luck, and I have posted in the community section looking for others CFer's in the area or an ffiliate that may not be listed yet.

I have done a fair amount of power lifting so am familiar with most of the movements.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post

Happy Trails!
what is a kipping?

I do deadhangs - I was taught to do pullups by a marine and a SEAL (at different times) and they had to do deadhangs for their PT tests.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #7
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Dustin,
first off,

Using an assisted pullup machine is a good way to build your strength in pullups, just make sure to give it your all and do as much as you possibly can. When scaling you should note that you should scale weight, not reps.

For example, anytime a 21-15-9 workout comes up, make sure to do all the reps even if you have to scale the weight down. Never change it to 15-9-5 or something like that. It's been said many times before but INTENSITY is the key to improvement with CF. No matter what weight you're using just make sure you're in the gym (or garage) busting your tail with a whole lotta intensity. The strength to do the Rx'd workouts will follow!

Thanks. I read the starting here basic I hadn't yet paged through all of the links.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel View Post
what is a kipping?

I do deadhangs - I was taught to do pullups by a marine and a SEAL (at different times) and they had to do deadhangs for their PT tests.
Never mind found the videos...

Always considered it cheating to use momentum like that. I was taught to do slow up and down (2 second contraction/2 second lower) to control the weight and limit use of momentum.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel View Post
Never mind found the videos...

Always considered it cheating to use momentum like that. I was taught to do slow up and down (2 second contraction/2 second lower) to control the weight and limit use of momentum.

That's the conventional wisdom, and if you want to do pullups as an isolation exercise that's fine. The goal with purposely 'cheating' with kipping pullups is to maximize your body's total work output over a given time period. The fact that you're incorporating your entire body into the exercise gives you more overall benefit, especially core strength. Do a search in the forum under 'kipping pullups' and you'll find people who have explained it a lot better than I can.

Oh, and
Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Also do many forum searches for nutritional information.

A good place to start is (WFS) The Zone Diet for CrossFit.