CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Due to my change in schedule I will be forced to train at 7:00am or so, something I have NEVER done! I've come to believe that it is not a good idea to train with an empty stomach, so what can i do here? Some fruit before the workout, then breakfast?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
How about Endurox which is a light blend of carbs and protein designed to aid recovery during and after workouts? I drink it and never cramp up. Helps to keep my energy up and the protein is good to avoid catabolism.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
you mean take this before and during exercise followed by your regular breakfast?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I have been working out at 6H30 every morning since...a good 4 years. My wife and I both train together and have very different nutrition needs. First thing is a boll of slow cook oatmeal with sweetner of your choice - workout (CF or other) - breakfast. My breakfast is fully balanced...I try to vary a little with cereal, eggs, protein powder, peanut butter, etc. My wife has less to eat than me at breakfast, but we both eat something that can be eaten at a desk.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I just mix up a liter of it at a fairly diluted strength and drink it during exercise. A bodybuilder would drink it before and during, and then add a big carbo/protein shake after. I don't think the latter works too well with the Zone.

So, yes, just drink a liter during your exercise. It's 4:1 carb/protein but only around 250 calories. Gives you the energy to do the workout but not so many carbs as to screw you up.

I'm sure others here will protest about so many carbs but I don't see many people chugging olive oil in the gym. I just make sure I balance it out with appropriate blocks afterwards (and frankly I think the carbs get absorbed into the muscles as glycogen or burned for the exercise, rather than stored as fat). If you're really a perfectionist with your Zone, you'd cut back on carbs when you have your breakfast: omelette with no oatmeal, let's say.

Here's their blurb:
Insulin, the "Master Recovery Hormone"

Investigators have shown the importance of carbohydrate supplementation in improving performance. The regulator of glycogen replenishment is the hormone insulin which increases the transport of glucose from the blood into the muscle and stimulates the enzyme responsible for the conversion of glucose into glycogen. Recent research has shown that insulin is so important in recovery from exercise that it should be termed the "master recovery hormone". In addition to its vital role in glycogen replenishment insulin helps rebuild and maintain muscle protein. These studies demonstrate that insulin:

stimulates the transport of amino acids into the muscle. By increasing the cell's amino acid levels insulin speeds the protein rebuilding process following exercise.
blunts the rise in cortisol following exercise. Cortisol is the hormone responsible for protein breakdown. By decreasing cortisol levels, insulin helps maintain muscle protein.
This research also calls into doubt the usefulness of products based on the 40-30-30 formula. Since these products reduce insulin levels, they may actually slow the recovery process.

http://69.94.64.50/enduroxr4.com/pages/r4system.html
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
There are plenty of people on this board who may or may not) chime in to this thread that don't eat anything before their early morning workout. I am one of them. I make tea and drink some during and after my workout, that's all.

I'll leave it to Robert Wolf to detail the hormonal benefits of this approach or point to a thread that has already outlined it.

I like it because it means no meeting Pukie, I can wake up later (I have trouble always getting 8 hours on my schedule so later is better), and I have not had any problems with this process unless I don't eat enough the day prior. It also seems to fit the Paleo idea (in my mind) that there's no food for the day until one goes out and kills it. Thus, exercise then food. Seems natural.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
I'll let the nutrition types answer the science part.

However eating before training you will have to try on yourself. Remember guys like me can eat and have no probs while the next athlete will have issues.

And for the record I'm an ultra endurance freak so when it comes to eating I'm not a sound example.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Jason Billows

Profile:
If I workout in the morning I do so on an empty stomach and have never had issue with low energy levels. The only time I'll deviate from that is when I am doing an extended endurance type of workout, in which case I'll eat.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Workout at 6:30 am with a cup of coffee in my stomach. I have been doing this for years with no problems. Robb will tell you why this is good, if he reads this. Make sure you eat after the workout though. I have a 5 block Zone meal.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Ditto Larry. Coffee at 4ish, workout 5-6am. Eat at 7am. 6 blocks

I like it a lot.