CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Chris Robinson

Profile:
Getting Started on SS

I've decided that I need to get stronger, so I'm going to switch to SS for several weeks before coming back to a hybrid routine of SS, CF, Oly, and KBs. My question is this: For those that have done SS, did you follow Rip's advice about getting your 5RM or did you calculate based off of your current 1RM? Rip's advice is to start with an empty bar for a few sets of 5, "then add weight, do another set of five, and keep increasing in even increments until form is compromised by the weight....Go on up in weight...until the next jump would alter your form, and do two more sets there, for a total of three sets across with the heaviest weight." (Starting Strength, p.27)

I've been doing CF since Aug '07, prior to which I trained with a very typical segemented program. In other words, none of the lifts are brand new to me. So, can I calculate off of my current 1RM or would it be better to do it as Rip suggests for a novice? If it's okay to calculate off my current numbers, any suggestions on how to calculate a 5RM from a 1RM?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
Dan Heaney

Profile:
Re: Getting Started on SS

I would think 75-80% of your 1RM should get you in the ballpark.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Timothy Walsh

Profile:

I recently started SS as well after doing CF for while. I believe i started SS at around 80-85% of my 1RM.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Ariff Saufi

Profile:

i have just ordered SS from Amazon.com and i'm also wondering the same question.

should i just take about 80% of my RM (though i know i can Squat a little bit more than that for 5 reps... but not sure if i can do it for 5 sets though)
Old 02-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I'm a week into a SS cycle too, intending to come back to WODs in mid-March.

I had a recent CFT score but no current 5RM ... so I went to one of the online calculators, and found them estimating a 5RM at about 87% of a 1RM. I knocked that notional 5RM number back by 10%, for my cycle's starting weights, and it seemed OK for most of them - could have gone #20-#30 higher for DLs I think.

How far you knock it back under your 5RM to start should prolly also reflect how much extra weight you intend to put on the bar per workout ... and how long you hope to keep the progression chugging along before you plateau. I've got a short-term cycle planned, so I'm being fairly aggressive.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fetter View Post
I'm a week into a SS cycle too, intending to come back to WODs in mid-March.

I had a recent CFT score but no current 5RM ... so I went to one of the online calculators, and found them estimating a 5RM at about 87% of a 1RM. I knocked that notional 5RM number back by 10%, for my cycle's starting weights, and it seemed OK for most of them - could have gone #20-#30 higher for DLs I think.

How far you knock it back under your 5RM to start should prolly also reflect how much extra weight you intend to put on the bar per workout ... and how long you hope to keep the progression chugging along before you plateau. I've got a short-term cycle planned, so I'm being fairly aggressive.
That's why I said 75-80% would put you in the ball park. Youare going to add wt each WO and if you start too high you'll end up with wts you can't lift for five reps too soon. I would start at 80% and make adjustments based on how the weight feels. Too light = add, too heavy = remove
Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Ariff Saufi

Profile:

thanks guys. I think those assessments are fair enough.

I guess i'll try and start somewhat arnd 75% intensity and see how things go from there. I got nothing but time. Not really rushing into anything these days.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Start at 75-80% of your Five rep max.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Honestly I just kind of ballparked it and it worked for me. I think I actually started a little too low, but not being a very frequent or experienced lifter, I think it worked great.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

I started around 80% my 5 rep max. This worked well, didn't plateau until week 4 and saw great gains overall.