CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Any opinions on starting into jujitsu at age 44? I feel young, do crossfit, relish a challenge and previously did Aikido for a little over a year before getting sidetracked by Adventure racing/mountain biking in my mid 30's and letting it go. The whole endurance thing has been worked out of my system and I'm looking to get into something challenging. Jujitsu has peaked my interest and I'm going to check out the local BJJ school. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Hey Steven - that's great you're thinking of getting involved in jiujitsu! Most of the BJJ schools I've visited or trained at myself have had a big range of ages in their students. The school that I am at right now has people from their teens to their 40s-50s.

Are there multiple schools in your area? I would make sure to check out the school(s) first - watch a class or ask if you can take a class for free before you obligate to anything. Make sure that the atmosphere feels supportive to you and the instructor is attentive to how he/she pairs people up for drilling and sparring. It's important that you feel you're in a safe environment both physically and for your learning.

(Message edited by Ring_Girl on March 23, 2007)
Old 03-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
Steven,

I started Hapkido at 39 years of age. We have a strong grappling program and done properly, the risk of injury is very low. The striking and joint lock aspects of our art do cause injuries though, making Hapkido a not-so-good choice for older adults.

I think BJJ is a great choice, as long as you follow Becca's advice on choosing the right school - and don't forget to TAP:giveup:

I regularly work out at MA schools when I travel for business. I have found BJJ folks the most welcoming of all schools. I don't go in with any tough guy ego though, if I did I might not be here right now!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Bo Riser

Profile:
Steve - I'm 35 and just joined a Jiu-Jitsu gym. Most the students where I'm at are in the mid to late thirties. Like you, I've spent the last few years doing tri's and cycling. The cycling takes up way too much time. I kickboxed several years and have a black belt but my grappling/submission skills are weak. I joined a few weeks ago. They turned me onto CF. They do a CF-type workout twice a week. I wanted to start doing it on my own which led me to this site. You'll be sore for a few weeks but I think you will enjoy it. Just like it is in endurance sports, age doesn't seem to be a big factor. All the best to you.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Most of the jiujitsu tournaments have masters divisions and things like that too!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Steve,

I am 42 and have been training for over 5 years. It is a give and take sport. The youngsters will come for you, so be prepared. However, it is fun and rewarding, especially when you can kick their .

Enjoy but remember there are good days and bad.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
Celio Silva

Profile:
Great advice in this thread, follow it and you'll be fine.

I think BJJ will be a perfect fit for you. Don't worry about your age. That's the beauty of BJJ; it overcomes size, strenght and age.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to start next week.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Pat Harker

Profile:
I am 43 YOA and I have been in BJJ for the last 2 months. Good advice so far from everyone.

Take it slow, drill, drill, drill and have fun.

Becca gave some great advice. Heed her advice and check out every school in your area and go to the one you most prefer/makes you feel most comfortable.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Will Murphy

Profile:
I am 42. I took some Aikido in 1992 and had done some boxing prior to that. Got into adventure racing in 1999. Became interested in MMA and just did something about it a few months ago. I got into an important adventure race so I had to put the MA on hold, but I checked out several places and picked one that was informal and practical and where I felt comfortable asking questions. I do worry about injuries, but I have learned to tap when in doubt and have had nothing serious. AR is not QUITE out of my system yet, but when it is I will definitely be doing a lot of MMA (not competition other than maybe the grappling part, just for exercise and self-defense and challenging myself) when it is. There is a gentleman at the gym I was going to that is at least 10 years older than I am and is battling very serious illness. He comes several nights a week during all but the worst parts of his treatment. I respect the hell out of that guy, and I suspect most of the guys at the gym do, too.

So I would say do it to the level that it benefits you and don't feel any need to prove anything to anyone.