CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Lori A. Goldman

Profile:
I'm a 38-year-old female who just started Crossfit last week on the advice of my coach. I'm training for my first muay thai fight and need to work on dropping some weight in the meantime (darn PCOS!) - not to mention that Crossfit will help my overall fitness.

I'm currently at the gym 4-5 nights per week, do Crossfit two days per week and run about five miles on Saturdays. If anyone has any words of advice or suggestions about how to improve performance or weight loss, I'd love to hear them.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
How far out are you from your fight? I'd drop the 5 miles on Saturday, and add CrossFit type sprint workouts instead to start. The LSD running won't help your fight game.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Lori A. Goldman

Profile:
I have about a year yet. I'm also working on finishing my college degree so I told my coach I wanted to finish that first and then dive headlong into the more intense training.

(Message edited by munchkin on January 30, 2007)
Old 01-31-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm with jeff, drop the long runs...they will actually hurt your training efforts. You want to encourage fast twitch muscles not slow twitch. Nutrition > Basic strength > Crossfit > Sport Specific Prep. Nutrition needs to be in line to lose fat mass, support intense exercise without muscle loss, and promote recovery (run Athletes Zone in the search function). Basic strength levels should be close to your genetic potential (Check out the book Starting Strength). This involves learning proper form for full body/functional lifts, and performing those lifts at, mostly, above 90% 1 rep max. A fighter derives NO benifit from LSD type training, it will actually hinder progress. I would guess your training for approximately 3 - 2 minute rounds with 1 minute rest breaks. You should be training the anerobic system. Ideally you would concentrate on form and fight specific conditioning in you MT class and conditioning would be a seperate session (removed by at least 5 hours from your MT class). The CF workout will give you all the additional training you need (basic strength + anerobic conditioning); it only takes (on average) 45 minutes including warm-up and additional skill training.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Daniel Foster

Profile:
Lori listen to Jeff and Larry their both veterens to crossfit and martial arts.Picking their brains and you will be more then ready for your fight
Old 01-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Lori

both Jeff and Martin have offered some sound advice, I have a fight coming up on the 17th March and there is no chance I will be running any 5 milers. I will be fighting 3 2s with minute break and I know that the training I need must be anaerobic. Nutrition is key to the management of weight and also performance and personally I can see myself following the zone for the future. I followed the zone for my last fight, dropped weight and felt energetic.Brilliant! For Thai specific endurance training the most useful thing I have used has been tabata kicks, punches and knees. Crossfit and kettlebells are what I use in the pursuit of hollistic fitness, the stand me well in the ring, in the gym and in life in general.

Enjoy Crossfitting, stay focused for the fight.:080402gudl_prv:
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Lori;
All the advice you've received is great however, there are a few ladies on the board who also fight. Perhaps they have another perspective to offer?
BTW, :Welcome:
Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Lori A. Goldman

Profile:
Wow! So much information :-).

I"ll probably be asking several questions as I go through your responses so please bear with me y'all...

On the workouts: Yes, they are three minute rounds with a minute in between. Generally we do pushups/situps or something from Bas during that time frame. Two days of the week are primarily boxing work before MT class.

On the running: Since I have a goodly stretch of time before I fight, it was suggested I run to (1) increase my conditioning/wind and (2) help try to drop some of the weight. If I'm following correctly, the general suggestion is to not do long distance running even so far out, but concentrate more on sprints using the CF format. If so, is it okay to do a long distance run occasionally (it's one of my stress relievers after a week of work, school and training) or should I stick to the sprint format entirely?

Diet: My diet follows pretty basic lines: chicken, fish, vegetables and lower on the carbs/starches. Very little soda and I drink about a gallon of water a day. Various "fat-burning" additives like Hydroxycut have been suggested to me but I find myself leery of taking them. Is there anything else someone might suggest?

Off to use the search function for "athletes zone".

Thank you all very much for all your comments and suggestions!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Lori,
Regarding long distance running. I have several athletes who like to run (I am very sure their mother's dropped them on their heads when they were young). That they like it doesn't necessarily make it a good training modality for their chosen sport. Instead it falls under the heading enjoyable activities. They should be in the schedule but not as a primary focus of training.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Daniel Foster

Profile:
Lori if your diet is in check 100% and your doing crossfit plus your Thai Boxing training then you should not have to worry at all about taking fat burning supplements and you have plenty of time to do it right. People who take those supplemenst are looking for a short cut to hard work