CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Finally. I held the dragon flag at the bottom position with only shoulder blades on the bench. It felt like I was there at least, I'd have to get someone else's confirmation that it was good though.

I only held it for a moment, but it was there. And now comes the next challenge - pulling a complete rep.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Congrats my friend, I went through the same phaze a short while ago and know how tough those are when done correctly. I'm surprised they never put them in the wods.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
One arm chins don't seem to be in the WODs either. Perhaps these exercises are just too incredibly intense for such a pukarific organization such as CrossFit. CrossFit seems more like a "heavy yet fast and furious" workout than you would get from dragon flags and one arm chins.

Thanks, though. I've been trying for that for a while now.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I think dragon flags just fall into the specificity grouping. They don't quite fall into metcon and would probably be ranked somewhere in the level 3 or 4 of Crossfit North/Seattle scale.

However, a great progression to front lever and probably back lever.

I can do these when holding onto some base ( like a pillar ) or support beam to a pommel horse or balance beam. However, on the bench just now seemed really tough, especially on the arms ( my pull strength is pretty pathetic nowadays but is improving ).

I suppose doing them on ground as a base with the support beam takes the arm pull out of the equation.

Of note, I tried these with straight arms holding the base of the pillar and they were tough. No way horizontal, failing around 45 degrees? Like my front lever attempts if that.

Putting in one arm chins and lever movements would really just destroy most of the CF base doing the WOD. Great for the elites, but not the base ( though they could always sub down ).

hmm?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Blair, I agree, they are more of a direct strength training tool.

I have done dragon flags both ways - on a bench and holding onto a pillar behind my head. I suppose the pillar actually was easier for pulling. Probably something to do with leverage. For the bench dragon flag, I guess you should work on the muscles associated with the pull. In this case, I am guessing triceps and shoulders/pectorals (if you consider the actual movement)? The pull required on the bench is pretty big I guess, but it was never a limiting factor.

I'll have to try them with straight arms and see how difficult they are that way.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Just looked at the CrossFit Seattle levels. I would agree that the dragon flag could be placed among level 3 exercises but I disagree with the suggested time it would take to achieve that. By the time I get a full rep, I will have probably been working out for less than two years. Not four to six.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Just tried the straight arm dragon flags. Way too easy. Hardly had to pull at all. This is against the very idea of a dragon flag. They are supposed to be hard and I refuse to make them easy.

Besides, the requirement to pull hard if you use the bench means irradiation for the abdominals. Cool. :happy:

(Message edited by Benedict on July 19, 2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Straight arm on the bench seems easier ( I'm doing them on a slanted total gym ).

However bent arm vs straight arm off the floor are totally different.

Derek, I do believe the CF Seattle standards start from base 0. Basically, take your average joe who did zilch during childhood and then started working in an office doing zilch. I, however, didn't see there was any time in value associated with the levels.

With bent arms off the floor, I can do straight body lifts ( and I'm fat and heavier than what I was over a year ago ). Straight arms feel very much like my wanna bee front lever.

As I said, my pull strength is pretty lame. I did top over double digits in strict PU the other day, but it got so bad over the last year at one point I was down to 7 or so some days. I had been up to nearly 15 over a year ago and my best ever was just over 20. Pulling was never my specialty compared to pushing or legs or abs.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/public...pdf/GetFit.pdf

W/F safe

it's called a body curl but Rog calls it a straight body lift to candlestick. Both are " hollow " when it comes to gymnastic terms.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Perhaps I need to study the dragon flag a little more because straight arm on the floor felt much easier than "grip the bench next to the ears" dragon flags.

Your pulling strength isn't much different than mine. I only got to twenty deadhangs once and I have probably lost that by now since I have not really trained for endurance since then. If you are too weak to get the pull required when using the bench for dragon flags, maybe you should work on one armed pull up work. It would really help your strength.