CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #2941
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Mahoney View Post
Regarding Paleo, I started out strict. Had beers on Day 21 (and a couple times after that). Had dairy (whey protein powder) the very last few days. Got more relaxed with the saturated fat towards the end of the 30 days as well. Didn't worry about salt and vinegar in salad dressings and salsa. Lost four pounds. I didn't think it was much, but when I looked at before/after pics, I was less fluffy looking on Paleo. Energywise, I was a bit zonked for the first week to 10 days, then I had good energy. I did feel stronger towards the end as well.
Yay for you!

Paleo is seriously impacting my strength. I mean, I am coming off of two months of light rehab work. Today, I put up a push press 5RM of 80 lbs, and it was solid. I didn't go higher only because I didn't want to waste myself before the WOD. But, I'm positive I can throw up a 100 lb push press without a problem. And, I followed that with 64 reps of push jerks at 55 lbs during the WOD. Freaking 64 reps, and the weight felt easy (the WOD made me want to puke, but I loved it). I just don't think it would have been that easy for me pre-injury, and I was making some crazy strength gains at that point.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #2942
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Nice work on the paleo ladies. We're doing a 30 day challenge at our box right now, and things have been going pretty well.

For those with shoulder issues, check out this page (WFS)on our website. It gives a pretty good overview of shoulder rotator cuff impingement issues, and ways to deal with it. Having a degree in sports medicine has definitely helped with nagging injuries at the box!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #2943
Patricia Seip

Profile:

Hey ladies. I don't have a verdict yet. Just so ticked off I can't stand it, and you're right, Suzanne and Heather. I know if I go near the gym I will want to work out, so I don't even dare!!! How many times a day should I ice? Dang, I'm so mad I could spit!!!!!

Great to hear that you're making such great gains, Tamara. How long did you rest?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #2944
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

I've got some girl power for ya :stir:
Old 11-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #2945
Heather Archambeault

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Seip View Post
Hey ladies. I don't have a verdict yet. Just so ticked off I can't stand it, and you're right, Suzanne and Heather. I know if I go near the gym I will want to work out, so I don't even dare!!! How many times a day should I ice? Dang, I'm so mad I could spit!!!!!

Great to hear that you're making such great gains, Tamara. How long did you rest?
I was reading that you should ice it every couple hours, for about 20 min, for a couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Crawford View Post
Nice work on the paleo ladies. We're doing a 30 day challenge at our box right now, and things have been going pretty well.

For those with shoulder issues, check out this page (WFS)on our website. It gives a pretty good overview of shoulder rotator cuff impingement issues, and ways to deal with it. Having a degree in sports medicine has definitely helped with nagging injuries at the box!
Amy, this is great! Thank you!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #2946
Patricia Seip

Profile:

sweet!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #2947
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Quote:
and you're right, Suzanne and Heather. I know if I go near the gym I will want to work out
Hi Patricia - I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was in over training land a couple months back, and my husband wanted me to take 2 full weeks off. I was like, "HUSBAND SAY WHAT!?" I ended up trying to come back a touch too early, and my performance was still doo-doo. Not such a good thing for the confidence.

Whenever I have an injured CrossFitter, I tell them to take time away from the gym, but to hit nutrition HARD. If you can't make gains at the gym, make gains in the kitchen! Try new recipes, experiment with your food consumption, and channel your efforts/energy into being a food angel. (insert food angel emoticon here....)

Jennie
Old 11-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #2948
Patricia Seip

Profile:

You guys (girls) are great!! I was doing better and then I vacuumed yesterday using the good arm and it started tweaking again. I scheduled a deep tissue massage for Wed., so we'll see. I'm thinking this is going to be the long haul. I decided that I can use the time to work on my running ..........I hate running, but then I will be productive. Any thoughts, ladies? Oh, abs too.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #2949
Heather Archambeault

Profile:

Quote:
You guys (girls) are great!! I was doing better and then I vacuumed yesterday using the good arm and it started tweaking again. I scheduled a deep tissue massage for Wed., so we'll see. I'm thinking this is going to be the long haul. I decided that I can use the time to work on my running ..........I hate running, but then I will be productive. Any thoughts, ladies? Oh, abs too.
I got tired of not working out & I ran the other day...a total of about 3,300 mtrs...then I figured out how to do 30lb KB goblet squats *don't worry, I figured out how to balance it in my right hand, & not put ay weight on the left side* LOL
I did 5 sets of 10 of those, then 30 GHD back extensions & 30 GHD situps...I felt better, being able to do something, without aggrivating my shoulder.

I start three weeks of physical therapy, twice a week tonight...we'll see how that goes. We've disussed possible referal to ortho, but well coss that bridge if the PT doesn't work.

P.S. I hate running too
Old 11-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #2950
Patricia Seip

Profile:

Hey ladies, my massage went great. She found the spot (infraspinatus) and man, the pain shot through my shoulder, so she worked it. I'm still resting and I am going to start running this weekend. Did some form work with the pvc. Probably good for muscle memory, so I think I will do more of that. Did GHSU yesterday too.

We'll just hang in there, Heather, and this too shall pass.