CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #2281
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Where's the Girl Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie Forman View Post
Just a fair warning, this post could POSSIBLY be an over-share.

Do any of you ladies have issues when jumping rope? Specifically issues involving bladder control? We did the following workout last night:

3 rounds for time
Row 500 meters
21 burpees
50 double unders

In my 3rd round, I had to stop after 25 double unders and head to the little girl's room, because I feared I would make a puddle under me. What the heck!? As if there aren't already enough fun issues involved with being a woman, now I can't control my bladder?

My time for the workout was 21:16, and the person who finished before me finished in 21:08. You pee, you lose. I will gladly accept defeat if my arms give out and I can't get that last handstand push-up in under 3 attempts...I will bow down to the fantastic runners we have who will beat me every single time...but I CANNOT accept defeat because of bladder problems!

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this issue?
YES! this is supposed to be a common problem with women that have had children, but also common with women that are/were overweight. my mother had both causes. Her obgyn told her to lose some weight, do some kegels and see if it went away. It didn't. She resorted to surgery. (i'm not incredibly sure on the details of what was tucked where, but i don't really want to know)

i had the problem too, 30lbs ago, and i'm only 22!!! i couldn't do jumping jacks, jump rope...running was okay, i think...can't remember.

anyway...Do KEGELS! They help with so many different things.

10 rounds for time of: max reps, rest one min.

3, 2, 1...GO!

no, seriously...alternate between that one ^ and "squeeze and hold for as long as you can" x10.

if it doesn't get better, talk to your obgyn about it

Last edited by Renee Lee; 02-24-2009 at 08:45 AM..
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #2282
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

have you had kids? C-section or natural childbirth can cause these problems. Also aging and being overweight can contribute to the problem. (The last two clearly aren't your problem!) The pelvic floor can become "stretched out" and weak, and you can have problems with stress incontinence. With increased intraabdominal pressure, jumping, DL, laughing, coughing, etc. you can lose a little pee. The prescription for this is kegel exercises. Flexing the muscles of the pelvic floor can reduce the incidence of stress incontinence. Luckily, you can do them several times a day, at work, in the car, wherever and whenever you like. Start with three sets of ten, three times a day. The WFS version of the exercise is to pull your anus/pelvic floor up towards your tailbone, hold for several seconds and release. Much more detail can be found online, if you're so inclined. If you have only had leakage one time ever, then it may have been a fluke due to a full bladder. Severe recurrent problems can end up needing surgery to fix.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #2283
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

Yes, I have one daughter, and she's 10 years old. (I call her my "Monkey")

I guess I will be adding 3 sets of 10 kegels to my WOD every day! LOL! I'm planning on setting a PR tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice, sounds like my problem could just be baby related since I'm the smallest I've ever been, and I don't turn 30 for another 1.5 weeks.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #2284
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Regarding Level 1 - I'm hopefully signing up for mine today, as soon as I get an email response from HQ on something. I do plan to do a military affiliate though. I've been wanting to go since long before I thought about affiliating. I just want to feel the energy that we always see/hear on the videos and from people that have been there.

Jennie - I used to not be able to run past 2 miles because I always had to stop and pee....the more I cleaned up my diet, the less issues I had. I know your diet is pretty clean already, but maybe there is something??? I read through the acid/alkaline diet book for this issue (little bit of BS, but overall useful).
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #2285
Hollis Rudiger

Profile:

I just had a baby in July, and I have been pretty diligent in my Kegels for exactly that reason. So far so good. (I have a thousand other post-birth excuses, though!)
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #2286
Melissa Glasscock

Profile:

I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and finally decided to jump in.

When I started CF last June I had never done a real workout in my life before. No athletic experience... nothing. As you can imagine, I've seen great improvements since then, and am now hooked.

There are more girls at my affiliate now than ever before, but sometimes I still crave more girl power. And that's where this thread comes in! Reading it has been really inspirational, so thanks to all of you.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #2287
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Melissa!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #2288
Hollis Rudiger

Profile:

Hi Melissa!

Another newbie Q:

when someone posts his/ her time for a certain WOD (say Helen) is the assumption that it is as RX'ed?

I did my first named WOD yesterday (Helen, duh) and was looking around for some times to get a sense of what is possible, and the times ranged from 7-20 minutes- I did it in 12:55, but not really, as I did jumping pullups and my swinhs were only 18 lbs. So technically, I didn't really do it, right?

Obviously I'll keep at it, and get that time lower while I also increase the KB weights and eventually, maybe even get a pullup or two...

So do I get the time down then increase weight? It would be like comparing appleas and oranges, then, right?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #2289
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Yeah generally when posting, one would also post their modifications OR state, rx'd.

Great job on your first Helen, even if you did modify, that is a good time!

Welcome, Melissa
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #2290
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis Rudiger View Post
Hi Melissa!

Another newbie Q:

when someone posts his/ her time for a certain WOD (say Helen) is the assumption that it is as RX'ed?

I did my first named WOD yesterday (Helen, duh) and was looking around for some times to get a sense of what is possible, and the times ranged from 7-20 minutes- I did it in 12:55, but not really, as I did jumping pullups and my swinhs were only 18 lbs. So technically, I didn't really do it, right?

Obviously I'll keep at it, and get that time lower while I also increase the KB weights and eventually, maybe even get a pullup or two...

So do I get the time down then increase weight? It would be like comparing appleas and oranges, then, right?

on the main page, if it's not specified...i'd assume that it's done as prescribed. you absolutely did helen, just at your level. it's totally legitimate.

As for the question of whether you do the workout slowly with higher weight, or faster at a lower weight, let me direct you to a few discussions we've had in the last week or two over at brandx. (all links sfw):

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....ewthread/6192/
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....ewthread/6226/
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....ewthread/3590/

While i'd still read through those to see the discussions and the whys/hows of the topic, i'll give you the reader's digest version.

CF is all about maximizing power. There are two main ways to do that: increase the amt of work done in a workout (increase weight) or decrease the time it takes to do it (go faster).

from the first link up there, i came to this conclusion: "no seriously: so the rule of thumb for the puppies is essentially, 'scale metcons to finish the workout in an average time. Once you drop below average, push the weight up. Rinse, repeat until performing it rxd'"

using fran as an example: i scale the weight to 45#. I'll stay there i finish under 5min, then bump the weight and take the increase in time until i get back under 5min.

does that help?