CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
All,

About 7 weeks ago I bought 2 bottles of the carlson's liquid fish oil. I just finished the first bottle and opened up the second this morning. Before opening, I noticed some settlement of something on the bottom, so I shook it up good. When I poured the oil out into my spoon it had what looked like chunks of congealed fish oil? I ate it anyway because I am hard core :-) But it was definitely chunks of some kind. I can only hope it was fish oil :-) Anyone else seen this?

The bottle was unopened, and had been in the fridge the last 7 weeks. The other bottle had no such problems.

I have also noticed that upon reaching the end of a bottle of carlson's fish oil, when I pour the last few doses into a spoon, there is what appears to be some kind of residue in the oil (like white-ish streaks that flow with the oil). It's not chunks, but it looks a little disturbing (think egg whites, or that american pie scene).
Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I have two bottles of Carlson's (neither of which I've emptied....the second I bought for my dad and he decided to stick with pills so I got it back ) and haven't seen any evidence of chunks in the oil. The sediment at the bottom of the bottle seems reasonable and wouldn't bother me but the chunks might....depending on what they looked like and their consistency.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
By congealed, do you mean jelly like? I have melrose fish oil (only one im able to find here) and when i froze a bottle (for better keeping while i consumed the other one) and took it out, the whole thing went like jelly (or jello as you say). Anyway, so i posted on PM forum and was told to leave it on the counter (normal temp) and i did and it went to liquid again, but then when i put it in the fridge it went back to being jelly. People told me it meant the quality wasn't too good.. so i've not been consuming it since (capsules now..). When not frozen into jelly, it has the white-ish flow in the oil you mentioned when i'm near the end of the bottle, but i don't know if this has anything to do with the quality. Am interested to hear what others have to say though.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Dude that was cyanide in the bottom of that...

Just kidding. I've never heard of it, I just use the pills.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
My olive oil gets "chunks" when it's cold for too long. It's not high-grade oil, but it's all congealed oil.
If my fish oil got chunky, my first assumption until other evidence appeared would be that the oil had simply gone solid from the extended cold.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Yeah, the fats are probably just congealing. I'd let it sit a room temp for a day and see if they go away. If they don't, it's time to ask some questions.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
James Falkner

Profile:
After a few days of the bottle sitting still in the fridge the chunks appear to have settled back to the bottom (I see a layer that is maybe 2/3rd of centimeter thick at the bottom, which looks like solidified fish oil). THe stuff that comes out of the top is clear though, so no more chunks for the moment.

I'm going to look at the next bottle I buy more closely. I wonder if they all have chunks at the bottom.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I'm getting near the bottom of my first bottle and yesterday I experienced some chunks! It was surprising to me and a little gross but my memory of this thread reassured me that it probably is normal.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
John D Wilson

Profile:
Don't worry. This is normal due to refrigeration. I pour my fish oil into a jigger about 1/2 hour before taking it. By then it's up to room temp and the chunks are gone.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 AM   #10
Sol Agramont

Profile:
This has just happened to me too with the Carlson bottles. My first bottle didn't have those chunks for a long time and when it did it had been a bit past the recommended 3 months after opening. And it started to taste a bit more "fishy". It was like the last eighth of the bottle so I discarded it. I opened up a new one, and like 4 days after it was starting to taste funny and got those chunks, jelly like. I'm considering changing brands or to the Carlson capsules. Anybody tried the capsules?