CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Sol Agramont

Profile:
I've just started learning more about marketing and sales. It's really overwhelming how many sites there are about these topics.

I've stumbled across a couple of sites that are geared towards learning to market and sell fitness related services. After checking a couple of sites they all kind of seem alike. They all have high price tags. Anybody have experience with any marketing books (or ebooks) which provide good information on marketing and/or sales?
Any recommendations on books on business in general?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
The Emyth, Revisited. Invaluable for the entrepreneur.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Here's the short list:

All books by Seth Godin (Purple Cow, Free Prize inside, All Markets are Liars, Permission Marketing)

A Clear Eye for Branding and Sandbox Wisdom by Asacker

Re-Imagine by Tom Peters

Creating Customer Evanglists by McConnell

The Art of the Start by Kawasaki

The Tipping Point, Gladwell

The Purpose Driven Church by Rick Warren (not Purpose Driven Life)

The E-Myth Revisited by Gerber

Positioning by Ries

Most if not all of the authors listed above have their own blogs worth reading as well. At the very least read some of Seth Godin's stuff. He's in a completely different league!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:
Sol,

I have an extensive library of sales, business and success oriented material. If you could give me a little info about you and your backround I might be able to offer a few suggestions that you would benefit from.

One suggestion to everyone is to check out a book named Rhinoceros Success by Scott Alexander. It's sort of a goofy read but it has it's place for someone who wants to make a mark on this world. A local guy who founded a very successful software company(now about 400+ employees) buys copies by the hundreds and gives them out when people ask him why he is so successful. When I heard that, I ordered a copy the very next day.

The Emyth is a great suggestion. I think it really helps the person who has ben running a business for a while and needs to step back and take a look at what he/she has gotten into!! The basic premise it to learn to work on your business and not in it. I'm going to find it tonight and read it again now that we are talking about it.

A lot of the best selling books today like the ones by Gladwell, Bossidy, Peters, Geoffey Moore, etc. tell stories about huge companies. They have great concepts but it's sometimes hard for the small business person to apply the stuff in their world. I really liked the concept of the Tipping Point, but I just could not get myself through all the sesame street stuff. Boring. He takes way too long to make his point.

I've rambled enough, way more than 2 cents worth, sorry:gunsmilie:

Old 04-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
Sol Agramont

Profile:
Thanks for the replies.

Bill,
I've previously tried to start and run two other businesses. One with moderate success. My first one not so much. They were in the computer and software field. After a lot of consideration I decided to make the move and turn my "hobby" into a career. I spent a lot of time working at a computer by myself and I only worked on a project-by-project basis. So marketing in a larger scale and the type of sales needed for a fitness facility and personal training is quite different and really new to me. Developing software I only needed one client at a time and I was fortunate that I got good referrals and that kept me as busy as I could manage. Now it's a different game. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

I googled some of your suggestions and found most of them on audible. I'm now considering subscribing. Any recommendations for which would be a good book to buy first?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Bill Russell

Profile:
I assume you are planning on opening a micro gym type CF affiliate and do one-on-one and group CrossFit classes.

From everything I read on these boards, most affiliates don't do a lot of sales and marketing, they rely on referrals. I too have been in IT services, over 25 years now. I think you'll find that being successful at this will be very similar to your development background.

#1 Be really good at something and really like what you do
#2 Do it often
#3 Ask for referrals i.e. "tell your friends and bring one with you to the next workout!".
#4 Rinse and Repeat.

As for books, buy Rhinoceros Success. If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you. I can use another copy to give away.

Pickup a copy of The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino. In paperback it's less than 10 bucks. It's worth its weight in gold.

Next, I would spend as much possible searching and reading through all of the posts in this forum. There are more gems of info on building an affiliate business than you can ever imagine. Try to meet some other affilates, they will help you also.

I'm going to create a thread as we get closer to opening our facility. I'll post comments about what we are doing step by step. It will help me keep things on track and maybe help others builld there own.

Best of luck and happy reading:gunsmilie:
Old 04-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
Sol Agramont

Profile:
Tha's right. I'm planning on a micro CF affiliate and mostly one-on-one training.

I really enjoy the teaching aspect of personal training. Something that I cannot say about other topics, like teaching software development. I've read comments from other affiliates about referrals from existing clients. I guess that will take a while to actually show.

You really piqued my interest. I will buy the Rhinoceros Success.

I've searched the board and have found a ton of helpful information from affiliates. It would be really great if you could post on the board about your progress.

Best of luck to you as well. And thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Consider it done!

Attached Files
File Type: doc Marketing from Board.doc (58.5 KB, 533 views)
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Hey Bill:

Email me if I can help.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Bill Russell

Profile:
Thanks Darrell, I will do that.

BTW, I could use a C2 rower and you missed my birthday last week:gunsmilie: