CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #11
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: Taking the plunge on a NICE bar

Perfectly happy with my Pendlay Bearing bar.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Keith Miller

Profile:

If I had the money, I would buy the Rogue WL bar. A close second for me would be the Pendlay Bearing bar. Only second because of people I've heard having issues with their bar, mostly related to spin. I know they get taken care of, but it's annoying and frustrating having to pay that much money and then have to get it sent back for another bar. I like the DHS, and include it in the mix mainly due to having center knurl. Once the IWF removes the requirement for center knurl, then I'll look at these bars more seriously.

I currently lift at home on a comp ZKC bar, and I love it, but the knurl is almost too soft, so I go through a lot of chalk in a workout.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

ZKC is the best bar I've ever lifted on. We had Eleiko's but that death knurl kept me away.

Funny thing, with the ZKC, I found I didn't really have to use much chalk. But that's also before it started getting hot in Sac.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
Kyle Hougendobler

Profile:

I have both the Pendlay bushing and bearing bar. I hate them both. The bushing is just awful. It bent within two weeks of having it and no matter how much oil I use on the collars it still doesn't spin well or at all. The bearing is better but you have to constant oil it to make it spin. It will but it's every week it needs oil. The bearing bent two months in of having it and Pendlay actually sent a new one.

We have an Eleiko and it's just amazing. I can't really go back to another. I have used Werksan and love that too. I would stay away with Pendlay. Plus the zinc coating rubs off in a month and gives the bar a crummy/nasty look.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Hougendobler View Post
I have both the Pendlay bushing and bearing bar. I hate them both. The bushing is just awful. It bent within two weeks of having it and no matter how much oil I use on the collars it still doesn't spin well or at all. The bearing is better but you have to constant oil it to make it spin. It will but it's every week it needs oil. The bearing bent two months in of having it and Pendlay actually sent a new one.

We have an Eleiko and it's just amazing. I can't really go back to another. I have used Werksan and love that too. I would stay away with Pendlay. Plus the zinc coating rubs off in a month and gives the bar a crummy/nasty look.
I would suggest sending the bushing and bearing bars back to Pendlay, as they both have lifetime performance warranties.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #16
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Hougendobler View Post

How old are your Pendlay bars? Is it the newer 2013 ones? Just curious.

I totally agree with you on Pendlay's zinc coating. I sent my 2013 Pendlay bar back after I used it ONE TIME, and the coating on the center smooth area looked pretty bad only a couple days later [I had wiped the bar clean with WD-40 after my workout too]. Not cool on a $500+ bar.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Mike Hollister

Profile:

I've ripped my hands on a Pendlay bearing bar. My DHS training is great for crossfit high rep stuff and heavy singles alike. I really like it and would get it again if I was only gonna have one bar.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
Kyle Hougendobler

Profile:

Yes these are the brand new 2013 bars and they were only about 2-3 months when they bent. The coating started to go around 2 weeks in. Really disappointed in them.

I sent the bearing bar back like I said and got a new one and it's doing better but I still have to oil it to get to spin. I went ahead and threw both bars in the gym community bars to use because I'm just done with them. I wrote them on my taxes anways

I feel if you're going to spend 500-600 on a bar just spend another 200 to get an Eleiko.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
Jason A Smith

Profile:

That sucks. I have had my bearing bar since last August, no issues, It is also a 2013. I thought long and hard about getting an Eleiko. Difference was more like $700-800 all in, so I figured this would do. Still one day may get one. Just be cool to have
Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #20
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Based on this information, I would go either for a Rogue Oly bar, or the Rogue Oly Black bar (the Froning Oly bar)...

Bill Henniger said that those bars are designed for Oly lifts, but that they can also handle high rep CrossFit metcon work.

Now if you want an Eleiko, I would say go for the Eleiko XF bar. You can get it for under $600 at bumperplates.com.