CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Chris Stapleton

Profile:  
This is my first week on the WOD. I follow a week behind as I'm in the UK.Have nearly met pukie everyday apart from the pure strength days!! I have some soreness in my left lowerback/buttock, has anyone else suffered drom this?
Old 12-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
My first two weeks or so on the WOD I nearly met pukie every workout, was rocked after every workout, and was sore after every workout. I started cutting the WOD in half most of the time, and it has allowed me to CrossFit more often.

Most people who alter the WOD lighten the weights. I try to keep the weight the same, if I can, and cut the reps in half. Reason being is that strength has always been my weakness, not endurance, so I get to work on my weaknesses more.

As far as soreness in the lower back/bottock, it could just be that you are new to CrossFit, or it could be that your form needs work on one or more of the exercises. Are there any exercises you feel your form might be a little weak on?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Yeah i remember asking the same question when i first started. Your body will adjust. While soreness will always be present if your pushing yourself to new levels, nothing is as bad as the first week/month.

Low back is probally the #1 place for soreness in my experience. However, i feel my entire core is my strong point now. Work on the parralettes with L-sits and planches is probally the best way to strengthen up that area. Besides that, make sure your form on deadlifts is perfect and your low back soreness should be minimized in the future.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Welcome. Just your low back/buttock? Your ahead of the game! I still get sore in my lower back after some workouts and I've been doing the WOD for over a year. Hang in there, it will get better as your fitness level continues to improve.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Or you will just get use to the soreness like the rest of us :happy:. But really you will always be a bit sore but you will learn to like it, on some of the really hard WODs I still will get really sore but I keep telling myself it is a good sore.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
as long as the soreness in your back is from muscle fatigue you are doing it right. Propper form, on a good chunk of what we do here, means that you will be using these muscles a lot more than most people are used to. Which causes soreness in the beginning.

Once your low back muscles develop, this soreness will be minimized.

If the pain is from something else - there might be a problem with form, and you should evaluate the movements that involve your lower back.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
Braxton Glass

Profile:  
This is my first three day round. I did today's WOD (Mon) this morning. Had jiu-jitsu class tonight and was very slow.

Is this something that may wear off as I advance in crossfit, or do I need to alter my WOD and/or Martial Arts training intensity to compensate?

Thank-you for your support.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Braxton - I love your dog!

I do jui jitsu too, as does a lot of us. For me, the first month or so, my jui jitsu suffered so I either went light on that day's wod or took an extra rest day. At some point I found I could do both but need to watch my recovery time and make sure I get rest and eat well.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
Braxton Glass

Profile:  
Thank you Beth.

I am very sore today and my explosiveness is definately hampered. I need movement and space to succeed the way I am built.

I will continue with the WODs but I will be mindful of the intensity if I have a class coming up or if I feel tired as you suggested. I will also watch to see how my body adapts.

Appreciate the help.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:44 PM   #10
Michael McMahon

Profile:
I just started doing the WOD's last week and I'm sore in places I didn't know you could be sore, like the muscles in between my ribs from Christmas WOD. Like other new people I've been adjusting here and there to make it work for me right now. Since starting crossfit I've been having more fun working out than I have had in years.