CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Jeffrey Sanders

Profile:
climbing wall construction

I know this isn't a climbing wall thread, but I know a lot of crossfitters make their own equipment.

I am looking to make a climbing wall, and wondering if anyone else on here has done it? Mostly I've seen 4x8' 3/4" plywood mounted up with holds, Seems pretty simple. I can't seem to find anywhere where it says which type of plywood. There are different grades, some for $20/sheet, some for $40/sheet or more. Cheaper has knots in it, more expensive is a better looking finish, but doe sit make a difference for performance? I can paint it either way.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Brandino Gibson

Profile:
Re: climbing wall construction

This is a step by step instruction. On page 3 they talk about the plywood and said they bought the cheapest stuff.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Give...ng-Wall/#step1
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

simple climbing walls (especially a 4x8 wall) are really straight forward. just frame up with some 2x4s. If theres going to be a bit of an angle, you can use 2x6s but its not that big of a deal. I had an 8x12 wall framed with 2x4s and it flexed very little.
As for the plywood, get something middle of the road. the cheap stuff will blow out when drilling your holes and its less material for the T-nut to bite into. Stacking the plywood will help prevent the blowouts.
Some people will texture the wall but it makes little/ no use on a small, home wall. just throw on some paint to make it look nice.

some resources: (all WFS)

http://climbingholds.com/index.php/how-to

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/pdf/...ering-Wall.pdf

http://www.atomikclimbingholds.com/c...-climbing-wall

Last edited by Steven Nedorolik : 02-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Sean Smack

Profile:

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would bring my question here. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan where we have tons of 20'-ish Concrete walls everywhere. I want to order some holds and anchor them into the wall so I can climb them. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? This will be my first rock wall build so, yes, break it down newbie style. To include jargon. Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smack View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would bring my question here. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan where we have tons of 20'-ish Concrete walls everywhere. I want to order some holds and anchor them into the wall so I can climb them. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? This will be my first rock wall build so, yes, break it down newbie style. To include jargon. Thanks for all the help!
You will need access to the back of the walls...I bought a ton of holds on eBay...
Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Mike Gin

Profile:

Actually you won't need access to the back of the concrete walls - but you will need a hammer drill and sleeve or wedge anchors that will fit into the holes you drill. These expand when you screw the hand holds in place. You're talking a ton of work drilling these holes. Drilling into concrete takes some time. So if you've got plenty of time to burn, a tall ladder, and a hammer drill with concrete bit you could do this. Make sure the bolts that come with the hand holds work in the sleeves.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

Climbing on T-Walls wouldn't be ideal as theres the huge flared base to deal with. Concrete anchors would be the way to go though. most climbing hold companies can supply those also.

Check around if you can get a couple sheets of plywood...