CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Max Rosenthal

Profile:
Developing power out of the hole for back squat?

What is generally the best way to accomplish this? Box squatting comes to mind, but being inexperienced, I'd like to get any ideas and any ways that people might suggest incorporating work for this specific area into SS.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Developing power out of the hole for back squat?

Box Squat came to my mind as well.

Go down to bottom with a weight you can keep your form. Down as in not the bottom with compromising form but keeping the back all tight and arched, and everything else, etc.

Anyways, in the bottom, hold the weight then come up. I dunno it's just an idea. However, the whole point is to only use a weight you can do this with while keeping your form versus using a weight that you could not do this while attempting to keep your BS form.

I guess it also depends on what kind of squat and what your issue is? Is it feet/heel/shoes or something else like dropping the chest?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Given the stats you post (Squat 215 at over 200lb), just squatting by itself will do the trick (+sleep, good food, and focusing on proper technique, ie. sitting back, keeping everything tight). As you approach 400+lb, you can talk about box squatting. It is an advanced move for people who already know how to squat well. I am squatting over 300lb for 3 sets of 5 at 190lb BW, and I have not seen the necessity for box squatting. Once you get to an intermediate level, you could start incorporating glute ham raises (that's if your butt rises too fast) and other assistance work. At 215lb, box squats are unnecessary. In any case, you should be nowhere near stalling or where the weight gives you trouble. A
Are you eating well/sleeping well? How is your technique (post a video?). I fail to see how somebody could struggle with less than BW for their squat for SS, if their technique/rest/diet are in order.

Last edited by Dimitri Dziabenko : 09-01-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Benjamin Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Given the stats you post (Squat 215 at over 200lb), just squatting by itself will do the trick (+sleep, good food, and focusing on proper technique, ie. sitting back, keeping everything tight). As you approach 400+lb, you can talk about box squatting. It is an advanced move for people who already know how to squat well. I am squatting over 300lb for 3 sets of 5 at 190lb BW, and I have not seen the necessity for box squatting. Once you get to an intermediate level, you could start incorporating glute ham raises (that's if your butt rises too fast) and other assistance work. At 215lb, box squats are unnecessary. In any case, you should be nowhere near stalling or where the weight gives you trouble. A
Are you eating well/sleeping well? How is your technique (post a video?). I fail to see how somebody could struggle with less than BW for their squat for SS, if their technique/rest/diet are in order.
I agree. Are you still progressing and able to add weight to your squats every workout?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

box squats. Work the full range of motion. Concentrate on sitting back. We have used box squats with many athletes and it works.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

I agree with the above posters, but you could also try setting the loaded bar on pins in the rack at your bottom position. Get under there, tighten up, and go.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Benjamin Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Peck Fletcher View Post
box squats. Work the full range of motion. Concentrate on sitting back. We have used box squats with many athletes and it works.
I'm genuinely curious - you'd recommend box squats for a guy working through a novice progression, currently squatting a bit over bodyweight?

Max, if you haven't already, check out Rip's forum at ************ - http://************.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36 (not WFS due to profanity). He is very clear that the solution to any issue encountered by a novice who does not have a medical condition is "do the program and eat." So I'd work form before introducing an advanced exercise.

Box squats will almost certainly "work" in that your squat will go up. But I bet it would go up faster if you stay focused on the main lift, good form, and plenty of food. Sticking points melt when faced with calories.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

+1 to just keep squatting. Get your form dialed in, or at least close - make sure your knees aren't sliding, you're spreading your knees, and your glutes are engaged. A vid will help tremendously. After that, it's mostly just mental and putting in the work.

Again, if you want a decent LBBS, just keep LBBSing.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Max Rosenthal

Profile:

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Basically what's happened is that I got up to 220#, ended up being out of the gym for three weeks, and came back starting light. I got back up from 155# to 205# but had a really disastrous session on Monday, complete failure. I've been feeling like a lot of the issue has been concentrating on cutting off depth at parallel but then not being able to power back out of that position, as opposed to the full ROM squats I was previously doing.

Eating and sleeping are an issue. Sleeping I can't do a lot about right now, but I'm working to get my eating back where it was to support the lifts. That may be the crux of the problem, I was just shocked on Monday to be epically struggling with weights that I've lifted before with effort but no serious problems.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Squats are hard, this is why they're useful. Keep plugging.

As for your ROM, you'll get used to it. Anticipating the cutoff point will help with the stretch reflex, which is imperative.