CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Jacob Vohs

Profile:
Squat & Deadlift Form Check

Just performed these two lifts today in Starting Strength Workout A. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

w/fs
Squats - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHdtu_bcyN8

w/fs
Deadlift - http://youtube.com/watch?v=vdaZH2wsEWw
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Andrew Hesselmann

Profile:
Re: Squat & Deadlift Form Check

They both look perfect. Keep it going.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Derek Heinonen

Profile:

Look good. I would make two changes.

1) better music

2) A more neutral neck position on the deadlift.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

I disagree Music music was great, but the only thing was neck pos in the DL. Really good on everything else by my eyes!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Chris Hitzroth

Profile:

A more neutral head position would be good for both lifts. Neutral means looking at the floor about 6 feet in front of you, not up. Finding a solid surface to lift on instead of carpet would also be a good thing. Lifting heavy on carpet is just asking for injury. A sheet of plywood over the carpet (or, better, two glued and screwed together. Or, best of all, a lifting platform like the one here (wfs)) would be fine if you don't have a level concrete floor somewhere.

Ditch the lifting straps for the deadlifts unless you like having disproportionately poor grip strength. Also, when you get to the top of the lift, don't arch backwards to "finish," it doesn't raise the bar any, puts undue stress on the lower back, and cheats you out of the last few degrees of hip extension. Instead, squeeze your glutes, lift your chest, and stand tall. Finally, when you lower the bar, you bend your knees too early and so the bar has to go around them. Lower the bar with your hips to your knees by pushing your butt back, then use your knees to lower the bar to the floor. You do it on the way up, just do it in reverse on the way down.

The rest is alright. Good hip drive and depth in the squat, good position off the floor in the deadlift, etc.

Overall:
A- on squats.
F on deadlifts. The lifting straps did you in, otherwise you'd get a B.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hitzroth View Post
A more neutral head position would be good for both lifts. Neutral means looking at the floor about 6 feet in front of you, not up. Finding a solid surface to lift on instead of carpet would also be a good thing. Lifting heavy on carpet is just asking for injury. A sheet of plywood over the carpet (or, better, two glued and screwed together. Or, best of all, a lifting platform like the one here (wfs)) would be fine if you don't have a level concrete floor somewhere.

Ditch the lifting straps for the deadlifts unless you like having disproportionately poor grip strength. Also, when you get to the top of the lift, don't arch backwards to "finish," it doesn't raise the bar any, puts undue stress on the lower back, and cheats you out of the last few degrees of hip extension. Instead, squeeze your glutes, lift your chest, and stand tall. Finally, when you lower the bar, you bend your knees too early and so the bar has to go around them. Lower the bar with your hips to your knees by pushing your butt back, then use your knees to lower the bar to the floor. You do it on the way up, just do it in reverse on the way down.

The rest is alright. Good hip drive and depth in the squat, good position off the floor in the deadlift, etc.

Overall:
A- on squats.
F on deadlifts. The lifting straps did you in, otherwise you'd get a B.
So what do I do about the deadlifts. I can't do that much weight without alternating my grip and Rippetoe advises against it for the inflexible which I am. I use a doulbe overhand grip and I can't hold onto 315 lbs. that way.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Are you using the hook grip? It is the shiz as they say on the street.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
David Aguasca

Profile:

yeah.

1. more neutral head position. this applies to both the squat and the DL. look at a spot on the ground about 6 feet in front of you.

2. lose the straps for the DLs, unless you're working around some kind of hand injury or you are impaired.

3. nice lifting, you're definitely a stronger man than i!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguasca View Post
yeah.

1. more neutral head position. this applies to both the squat and the DL. look at a spot on the ground about 6 feet in front of you.

2. lose the straps for the DLs, unless you're working around some kind of hand injury or you are impaired.

3. nice lifting, you're definitely a stronger man than i!
Do you recommend using the hook grip for deadlifts? Do powerlifters use this grip because eventually I think I want to get into powerlifting.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Sean McDaniel

Profile:

If you're going to compete, you'll need to lose the straps eventually anyway. Hook grip is a good way to train, since you can get a higher lift than with overhand without introducing asymmetry. But for powerlifting, you'll probably want to develop a mixed grip as well. I can't think of a better way to overcome elbow\shoulder flexibility issues than to hang a few hundred pounds from them

When I deadlift sets, I generally use double overhand up to about 2/3 of my PR, since I want to train the grip as well, and hook grip for everything higher. If I'm doing a PR attempt, I start with mixed grip during warmups and use it all the way up. Mixed grip doesn't usually take much specific training, since it just adds some mechanical advantage to the grip strength you already have.