CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Jaime Anderson

Profile:
Question Advice on using cast iron weights & rubber plates

hey guys, im pretty new to cross fit, not got much gear and not much money to spend unfortunately,

as it stands i've got a power cage with a few add ons and a set of olympic weights (Cast iron). I would like to upgrade to rubber plates over time, but for a start i'm wondering if i buy a pair of 25kg rubber plates and add on the cast iron weights as required how much weight do you think i could add to the bar and drop it without destroying the weights??

hope that made sense to you guys, thanks in advance for you replies!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Advice on using cast iron weights & rubber plates

Depends how much weight you're talking about, and whether the iron plates are the same diameter as the bumpers. You generally want the bumpers to make up at least half the total weight of the bar plus plates, and you wouldn't want to drop a bar if the iron plates are the same diameter as the bumpers because they'll still land hard and damage the plates and the bar.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Jaime Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Depends how much weight you're talking about, and whether the iron plates are the same diameter as the bumpers. You generally want the bumpers to make up at least half the total weight of the bar plus plates, and you wouldn't want to drop a bar if the iron plates are the same diameter as the bumpers because they'll still land hard and damage the plates and the bar.
Thanks for your reply, the cast iron weights are different sizes. the 20kg may be about the size of an olympic bumper, but i'd probably be looking at about 100kg total from neck height and 120kg from deadlift/waist height and maybe 70kg from overhead height
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Max Salmen

Profile:

I was in the exact same position. I was able to get 2 pairs of #25 bumpers. I have plenty of #35 iron plates that are smaller in diameter. I am now stacking up to 305 on my Rogue bar and having no issues at all. Been using this set-up hard for a couple months. I would highly recommend it. Keep in mind I am dropping on horse stall mat and using nice collars to keep it all very snug.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Jaime Anderson

Profile:

thanks, thats good to know, i was looking at perhaps making some DIY bumpers that others have done, using golf cart wheels etc, was afraid that the force of being dropped would damage the bar or bumper plates etc. as i said i dont have much money, and would be gutted if i destroyed by bar
Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

I personally wouldn't use DIY bumpers

Just build up your bumper plates over time, buying them when you can afford this.

I also did this with my dumbells, now i have a full rack.

If you calculate how much you need overall and work out the total cost, you will get a heart attack, but if you buy gradually , you won't miss the money as much.

Also keep an eye out for good second hand deals
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

I woud advise against it...or at least advise against dropping a bar loaded with a combination of the two. I loaded my brand new rogue bar with a combination of bumper / metal plates for deadlifts and I was dropping the bar on my final rep of each set from deadlift height, and I noticed some dings / nicks / dents / indentations on the sleeves of the rogue bar where the metal plates were. and, I was dropping on Tractor Supply horse stall mats. I guess it might not be too big a deal for most, but I don't plan on dropping my bar when it's loaded like that anymore.