CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Skylar Cook

Profile:
I've been sifting through these forums for a week or two now and there seems to be a variety of diets and an even greater variance in opinions regarding each. I take it that it is just based on personal preference? I can see the logic behind Paleo and IF/CR, as that is how stone-age man would have lived (obviously paleo diet and would not have access to food 24/7). I just can't eat a 50-60% fat diet. That much fat in my diet just makes me feel... bad. I suppose with more exercise (e.g. now that I started CF) this wouldn't affect me as much, but I believe it's better to obtain more calories from proteins and carbs over fat (now I'm at around 40/30/30 C/P/F). Intermittent food deprivation doesn't appeal to me (possibly because I'm a teenager, probably not the best time to start a new diet- interfere with growth).

That said about Paleo and IF/CF, what's the core of Zone?

Excuse my rambling. I'm really just looking for pro/con arguments/opinions on the various eating plans.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Aaron Wilson

Profile:
Eating alot of fat used to make me feel bad to but not on paleo. If your getting your fat from paleo sources like nuts, olive oil, avocado etc I would be astounded if you didnt feel anything but good.

It might take a week or two to adjust but you will notice the results with paleo I can assure you
Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Skylar,

I understand what you're saying and I felt the same way. But good, natural fat (avocados, olive oil, almonds) feels better to me than, say, a Big Mac Mcd's fat. Not only does it feel better physically (less of a bloated, weighed down, tired feeling) but I've seen my BJJ performance go up. Prior to practicing BJJ, which is usually a 2 to 2 1/2 hr session, and working out I've begun drinking a small amount of olive oil. I'd heard about it on a CrossFit Live show and thought I'd give it a try. Man, my stamina went through the roof.

Also, once I dialed in my Zone habits I began IF. When I'm working my overnight shift I'll eat my last meal no later than 12:00am and then not eat again until 2:00 to 3:00pm. On nights I'm not working I'll eat no later than say 7:00pm and then not again until 11:00am the next day.

Dan

(Message edited by saluki450 on January 24, 2007)
Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Skylar, it depends on your own personal philosophy really. Some prefer Zone, some prefer Paleo. That being said, I personally feel as though Paleo/IF is far superior to The Zone; let me explain why. As you have already mentioned, it makes sense to eat like a "caveman" because it is more naturally suited to the biology of the human body. For instance, other wild animals have been observed to eat specific foods; Squirrels eat nuts, birds eat seeds and grains, and lions eat meat. If these animals were to adopt a steady diet of Krispy Kreme do you think their health would respond favorably? Ofcourse not! The same applies to humans. We evolved to exists on a limited but satisfying and nourishing array of foods: Meat, vegetables, nuts, and fruit. Not only did we evolve to eat certain types of food, but the amount of the food and the types of food (within this group of existing foods) fluctuates with not only the seasons but also depending on the success of the hunter-gatherers and the ratios of certain foods found in a given climate. Clearly, variation is very important to a proper human diet. Humans had access to hundreds of different types of plant and animal foods on a weekly basis. The amount of food available was also a huge variable and this is what brings me to my criticism of The Zone. Although I do feel as though The Zone is a major improvement over the standard American diet, it has it's own faults. For one, it is very static. The chances of our ancestors having exactly a 40/30/30 ratio of macronutrients in there diet at all times is highly unlikley if not impossible. In addition, The Zone requires one to eat 5-6 meals a day, also a very unnatural pattern of feeding. As you may have already guessed, ancient H/G's did not have a constant supply of food and were frequently forced to go many hours, and in some cases, days without food. This is probably why IF is so effective in improving health. It's simply another step in the right direction of proper human feeding patterns. In your case, I would avoid IF/CR as you probably do indeed have some more growing to do and it's not worth the risk since it is currently unknown whether the effects would be positive or negative on young developing humans. Also, from an evolutionary standpoint, children were likely spared more calories in a conscious attempt to support growth and development. To sum everything up for you and supply some advice (note: I'm not a doctor, speak with him/her before beginning any diet or exercise program):

1) Limit your food choices to Fresh meats, nuts & seeds, and lots of vegetables and fruit of all kinds.

2) Don't underscore the importance of variety. It is just as important as eating only allowed foods, and avoiding all processed food.

3) Wait until you are fully developed to embarck on an IF eating pattern. In the mean time, eat as much as your appetite allows but ofcourse don't overeat or binge uncontrollably.

4) Exercise reguarly (I suspect that you already do). The WOD is a great place to start. If you don't know how to do an exercise, check the videos section on the main site.

5) Try to get to bed as close to the time that the sun-sets as possible. Sleep atleast 7 hours per night but never more than 10.

6)Get a least 15 minutes of sun exposure a day (But don't be an idiot and lay down on the beach or something and allow the sun to just beat down on you for hours upon hours. This is a recipe for skin cancer. Moderation is key). If this is not possible, and during winter, take Cod Liver Oil to provide adequate vitamin D. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

7) Don't work for a healthy life style, let a healthy lifestyle work for you. Make sure you allow quality time to spend with family and friends. This is incredibly important.

I got a bit off topic there, but since you're new here, I figured it would help to give you a run-down of the basics of what it takes to be healthy overall. If you follow these guidelines you will be light-years ahead of your fellow teenagers. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Thanks- a little more than I expected, though, Greg... I'm already health conscious (my dad's a doc) and know of most of the guidelines you suggested. I appreciate the help though. I definitely agree with the concept of variety in the diet- the thing that had me wondering was the posts describing 60% fat nearly every day. I can see this happening sometimes, but not everyday! As you said, seasonal, weekly, & daily fluctuations are good in the diet (naturally our instinct is to eat more calories & fats in winter)... I think I might go semi-paleo, with whole grains remaining a part of my diet.

Oh, and I'm not 40/30/30 precisely... That was just my estimate if I averaged out each week (as stated, I like variance).

(Message edited by surfreak on January 25, 2007)
Old 01-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:
I just read a paper by some nutritionist about the transition period to Paleo. I hadn't thought about that (even with my somewhat extensive bio background). I've never really given my body the time to step up the fat burning catabolic pathways, instead of the carbs. No wonder I feel like after eating fats- my body can't do anything with them till the lipases/bile salts get synthesized. Doh!

(Message edited by surfreak on January 25, 2007)