CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
Brian Kearney

Profile:  
Hey everyone. My name is Brian and I am a new poster here. I was first at CF maybe a year or so ago when I heard about it on another BB forum. I have had little success in the past with dropping bodyfat and have had "Enter the Zone" on my bookshelf for so long now. I am going to give it a run and honestly, the success of the fellow CF'ers here with the Zone has made me want to try it out for real.

I re-read thru the Zone book, mostly chapters 3-6, 8 and 12 and refreshed what I need to know and have figured out all my calculations. However, I want to do this right to ensure that I see the proper results, therefore I do have some confusion and some questions to go along with it.

Hopefully, some of you who have gone thru this can help me get rolling because none of the archives really cleared it up for me totally.

My LBM is 140.60

My questions:

1. I am and have been sedentary for a few months now but when I begin the Zone protocol, I will be back to lifting 3-4x a week for about 30-45 mins each day. I also plan on doing some CF style workouts 1-2 times a week, as time allows. Do I use the sedentary activity protein requirement, or another, more active decimal requirement, since I will not be sedentary once I start it up?
I don't want to short change my protein intake by not using the right activity level and slow my progress, ya know?

2. As blocks are concerned, I would be eating 1x1x1 throughout the day but I have always read that fat and carbs should not be mixed for best result, especially "cutting." Also, the fat will slow up the digestion wouldn't it. Is this a good thing with regard to my Zone progress?

3. In a scoop of my protein powder, there are 23g of Protein and 3g of Carbs. I realize that the P is predominant, but do I count the 3g of Carbs towards my Carb block for that particular meal?

I may have other questions but can't think of them now. If I haven't been clear with anything here or left any impt info out, let me know. Thanks a lot.}
Old 12-16-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Brian-

Use 0.7-0.75 as the multiplier. This should be fine unless you start doing some serious training in addition to crossfit.

In the beginngin try to count everything! Be as detailed as you can and this will allow for a better and more accurate eyeball method in the future.

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask further questions.
Robb
Old 12-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI Brian,

In the zone, it is good for the fats to slow up digestion of the carbs. That is part of the whole point. Carbs that digest fast end up messing with our insulin reaction. By balancing the right amount of fat, protien, and carbs the carbs no longer have this effect and are used instead for energy. Fiber also mediates the effects of carbs.

Like Robb says, in the beginning keep track of everything. It feels a bit obsessive but it doesn't take very long until you have a handle on it.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
Brian Kearney

Profile:  
Thanks Robb and Beth. I will start out using the 0.7 and take it from there. I'll try to post some progress notes here and there. And of course, if I run into more questions, I'll ask them here. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
Brian Kearney

Profile:  
Hey guys. After figuring out the calculations using the 0.7 activity level and my LBM, I have a problem. Each protein block=7grams of protein, each carb=9 grams and each fat block=1.5 grams, correct? Okay. Well, as it is calculated, I should have 14 blocks of protein per day, I split it into 3/3/3/3/2 throughout the five meals and also split the carb and fat blocks accordingly.

So, that would be 21 grams of protein in meals 1-4 and 14g P in meal 5. 27g Carbs in meals 1-4 and 18grams of Carbs in meal 5. 4.5 grams of fat in meals 1-4 and meal 5 is 3grams of fat.

This would be 21x4=84 plus 14g P from meal 5=98 grams protein/day

The carbs would total=126 grams/day

Fat would total=21grams/day

So, multiplying into calories, it would come out to:

392 calories of protein
504 calories of carbs
189 calories of fat

Total calories= 1085 calories/day???????????

Am I doing something wrong?

It seems like I would die and shrivel up eating this little amount of calories and how the heck am I supposed to put on some muscle while I am eating 1085 calories????

I am a man, I don;t know of a man who eats this low.

Hahaha, I'm not being critical of "The Zone", rather being skeptical, if that's the right word because I really am dying to start this up but these numbers do not seem physiologically right.

HELP!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Brian,

There will be hidden fats in some of the foods, especially protiens. The zone assumes that you get about 1.5 blocks worth of hidden fat in your protien blocks which is why it adds only 1.5 blocks for calculating things. Thus you will be getting a bit more than it seems on the surface.

also, on the zone you can actually eat a lot less calories than you think. Try it for a week. Try it for two ideally. Then if you are really losing weight fast (more than 2lbs per week is unhealthy and probably not just fat loss) you can come on back here and ask for help. A lot of folks add in fat blocks as they reach their desired bodyweight.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Hey Brian, I don't like the sound of "Crossfit style workouts. . . as time allows." Why not just jump in and surrender yourself to the Crossfit method. Most workouts only take 15 to 30 minutes so time is not a factor. The workouts are scaleable to your fitness levels, and you will get the most bang for your buck. Jump in with both feet, commit for 6 months. If your not hooked by then you could always go back to any other program (won't happen). Most guys over 200 lbs consume 19 blocks a day (5 - 5 - 2 - 5 - 2). When you get down to your ideal bodyfat range, up the fat blocks until your weight is stable.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
Brian Kearney

Profile:  
Well, maybe my terminology wasn't accurate. I am interested in getting more size to my musculature. My main focus right now is my diet, which stinks more than an angry skunk. My BF% is way too high and I want to get it to 10% or lower. I am very worried about following a Zone diet, of which I figured out to only be around 1085 calories, which seem way too low. I guess I am stuck in limbo. But regarding your worry, I am more devoted towards lifting weights on the more standard BB routine and I can't convince myself that dropping that modality in favor for 15 mins of Crossfit, is going to get my muscles bigger.

I want to have much bigger muscles, have impressive vascularity, excellent cardiovascular health and aesthetic attractiveness to the female sex...let's be honest and corny all at the same time.

It depends on what I read here on Crossfit. One person says CF w/o steroids is better at mass building than BB w/o steriods, while another person will say that if you want big muscles then stick to conventional BB workout and add a few days of CF for extra benefits. Who the heck am I to believe, when different people are saying different things.

And to be perfectly blunt...from the pics that I have seen of regular CF'ers here, they don't really look muscular in the least, not that they have all their shirts off. I'm not saying that as an insult, but rather showing that I think CF is a great idea and from what people say, it's a great mass builder as well as CV builder, but I am reading conflicting statements which only throw me back into my indecisiveness. Maybe I could just do BB 3-4 times a week and CF 1-2 times a week as I has stated originally...but then there is this major factor of enough calories getting into my system for muscle building. Maybe if I upped my protein requirements for each day by using 1g/lb of Bodyweight?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Brian,

I came from a pretty strict BB type routine. I had worked out that way for several years. Every now and then I would throw in the occasional clean or something, but very rarely. I started doing the WOD as my primary regimen about 3 months ago. Every now and then I throw in some isolation movements after a WOD or on a rest day, but not very often. I work on some gymnastic holds now as well. I can honestly say that I have not lost any size whatsoever and I have gotten stronger. I have even gained about 3 pounds and my diet has not changed. It is mediocre to put it in a good light. Just some food for thought. You can always supplement with some isolation/BB type movements, if you want, on top of the WOD.

From my experience, it has made nothing but improvements in my GPP(big time) and my appearance(since this is part of what you are looking for and honestly, we all like that part of it).
Old 12-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Brian, Brian, Brian, first and foremost. . .Diet and genetics accounts for about 95% of how you are going to look. Every bodybuilder you have seen has either been abusing steroids and other meds or they are smaller and very very cut, under 4% bodyfat (for a very short time 1-2 days), they are also dehydrated, and feel like crap. CF athletes come from many sports and are looking for functional GPP, looking good naked is just a side benifit. Look at the workout routines of 35 to 80 years ago when steriod use was non-existant or at least not so prevalent. Lots of compound movements and gymnastics, you didn't see alot of curls and isolation work. Do yourself a favor and try Crossfit for three months, no excuses. The program is free, you only pay in pain. At the end of three months re-evaluate. At the very least you will hack off some of that fat and increase your GPP, this will give you a good base to do curls and leg presses. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE an you may find you gain muscle, lose fat, and meet all of your goals. By the way, eat lean meat (eggs and egg whites), fruit, berries, nuts, seeds, and vegatables, drink water, take fish oil. If you stick to that food list you will lose weight, fine tune it later. I think you know what foods to stay away from.