CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
So for wods like Barbara, Cindy, and Fran is it best to scale so that all exercises sets can be done unbroken or just on the edge so you can crank through as fast as possible?

For example

modified Barbera
7 Pull-ups
20 Push-ups
30 Sit-ups
40 Squats

If someone can get through all the rounds and only need to break 1 or 2 sets and storm through at max intensity is that ideal?

As apposed to

Standard Barbera
20 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
40 Sit-ups
50 Squats

needing to stop and rest due to muscle fatigue rather than cardio? Ultimatly feeling less thrashed than after the modified...

Any feedback appreciated
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
Brendan Fournier

Profile:
Kevin,

Just my two cents here, but I'd personally go for "max intensity" on most of the metcon workouts; if you have to stop a WO like Barbara because of muscle fatigue before you're really out of breath, scaling back might be a good idea. Maybe every now and then, do the "standard" to see how you're progressing and to keep building that strength-endurance, but in general I think most people here want to maximise power output in a workout like this, so scale it just enough that you can go all out.

When I've used this approach, I've seen quicker and more dramatic gains than when I just slog through the "standard" version.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I don't see Barbera as a met con type of workout...more of a chipper. I would break the sets down any way I could. If you need to use assistance for the pull-ups, but certinally, you could do the 30 push-ups, 40 sit-ups and 50 squats (broken into smaller sets). You should be looking at lowering the rest times between broken sets. IMO If you modify the Benchmarks...they really don't tell you anything, you can't accurately measure progress. Modify other workouts, keep the benchmarks as....benchmarks.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: Ideal way to scale?

I was looking for a little advice on this topic. As a general rule of thumb, do you scale weight, sets, or reps?

I haven't started doing CrossFit yet so I'm not up to speed on all this mteabolic conditioning stuff. I recently discovered the greatness of Olympic lifting so I am really into working those lifts lately. I plan to start a CrossFit regimine around February.

My Stats are:
BW 190
Squat 385
Press 155
Deadlift 365
Snatch 200
C&J 240
5k in less than 30 min
10k in less than an hour
400m 1:15
DHPU ~12
HSPU - I can do a nice handstand on wall but working the pushup part.
MU - I haven't really had the opportunity to work much with rings. I can do tons of regular dips and I can do dead hang pullups so I assume with some practice I can at least do some kip MU's.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Brian, you should not be scaling anything with those numbers. Maybe substituting when it comes to mu, or hspu's, but that's about it, IMO. Work on your kipping pullup too.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Brian, you should not be scaling anything with those numbers. Maybe substituting when it comes to mu, or hspu's, but that's about it, IMO. Work on your kipping pullup too.
It's the metabolic conditioning ones that I have trouble with. For example I tried doing this WOD, "5 rounds for time: 135 pound Deadlift, 15 reps; 135 pound Hang power clean, 12 reps; 135 pound Front Squat, 9 reps; 135 pound Push Jerk, 6 reps."

I cut the weight down to 115 and I still only got about 3 rounds before I gave up. Maybe that WOD was just particularly brutal. Like I said, I haven't started a hardcore CF WOD training regimen yet. I am currently having fun with an Olympic lifting program I am on. But I do plan to go a couple months of just cross fit WOD's soon.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
It's the metabolic conditioning ones that I have trouble with. For example I tried doing this WOD, "5 rounds for time: 135 pound Deadlift, 15 reps; 135 pound Hang power clean, 12 reps; 135 pound Front Squat, 9 reps; 135 pound Push Jerk, 6 reps."

I cut the weight down to 115 and I still only got about 3 rounds before I gave up. Maybe that WOD was just particularly brutal. Like I said, I haven't started a hardcore CF WOD training regimen yet. I am currently having fun with an Olympic lifting program I am on. But I do plan to go a couple months of just cross fit WOD's soon.
You probably want a bit of a metcon base before you tackle this one. This is sort of a 'Heavy Metcon'
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Was that actually a posted main page WOD? Sounds absolutely brutal. How long did it take to do your 3 rounds?

Just for reference, and a little more sane WOD -today, we did 95#, AMRAP in 15 minutes

5 deadlift
5 hang power clean
5 thruster

I did 10 rounds + dead lifts. Your 1RMs are significantly more than mine...
Old 12-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kodadek View Post
Was that actually a posted main page WOD? Sounds absolutely brutal. How long did it take to do your 3 rounds?

Just for reference, and a little more sane WOD -today, we did 95#, AMRAP in 15 minutes

5 deadlift
5 hang power clean
5 thruster

I did 10 rounds + dead lifts. Your 1RMs are significantly more than mine...
It was a main page. I have an excel spreadsheet of main page WOD's I pulled going back about 6 months. Not having a real good understanding of the Cross Fit methodology, I think I wanted a routine that I could practice my cleans. I looked through my handy spreadsheet and saw that WOD.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Actually, my first WOD experience was Linda as Rxd. It was supposed to be 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. Mine looked something like 10-8-8-5-5-4 and quit. So in that scenario should I have scaled the weight so as to finish the whole 10 rounds or just fight through it like I did?