CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-10-2006, 04:11 AM   #1
Myron Hensel

Profile:
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2470&zonei d=2

Check this link out, sorry but i'm more of a pride fan than ufc even though i do enjoy watching both, its just that pride has much more exciting events. Obviously Dana White would have to agree on this challenge to take place but wouldn't it be an exciting thing to see? I do believe the pride fighters can take every belt except for the welterweight division as ufc's welterweight division is undoubtedly the most competitive division they have. Middleweight might be tough as well since rich franklin has the belt but I believe it can be done, the only fighters in the middleweight division that I believe would even pose a threat is rich and anderson silva.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Stupid question ... why do you think that pride fighters can take the ufc fighters?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 AM   #3
Myron Hensel

Profile:
Pride fighters are paid way more, pride has been wanting to send fighters to the ufc but the ufc honestly can't afford to pay them and many fighters have declined because of that reason. I mean you should watch pride and ufc to see for yourself. MMA is very big in Japan with crouds around 50,000 people sometimes.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 AM   #4
Beau Bryant

Profile:
I find it hard to believe that Rich Franklin, Matt Hughs or Chuck could be beaten by a better fighter. These guys are at the top of their fighting game. These are the big dogs, but lets not forget someone like Brandon Vera, whom I believe will hold a title very soon. This guy is fighting at least 20 lbs over his fighting weight and dominating for the most part. Keep watching, this guy will shake up the UFC.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:01 AM   #5
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
If your thinking that this has not happened because UFC can't afford it then your crazy. Despite what people think top UFC fighter get paid the same as top Pride guys.

Pride is the one in the weakened market position due to the Yakuza scandal, allogations of match fixing and losing the TV deal with Fuji TV. Pride is also desperate to get some of it's fighter on TV in the UFC before it starts it's American shows.

The simple fact is that most of the American Public who watches UFC has no idea who Fedor is, as shameful a fact as that is.

The UFC is the one holding the cards on this.....Pride may have bigger gates, but UFC is the "brand name" associated with MMA and has much better global recognition and PPV buys.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Pride and K-1 both like to make big "announcements" periodically which frequently amount to nothing. It's just how they garner media attention.

Sakakibara is insane if he thinks he's going to get 100,000 people at an MMA event in the US. The UFC can't even get that many - they have to paper half the place to get 1/5th that amount of people in an arena. And people have actually heard of the UFC and their fighters.

Not to mention it's taken, what, three years for Pride to even manage to arrange an event on US soil? Much less get themselves organized enough for a so-called Super Bowl.

AND most of all, he needs the cooperation of the UFC to make any of those fights actually happen.

HOT AIR.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
David Stegman

Profile:
Prid fighters fight a lot differently than UFC guys. Just watch a Pride fight and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Much less stalling and a lot more attacking going on...especially from the guard.

I think overall Pride fighters are better than "most" UFC fighters. Most of us will get to see soon enough.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Part of that is due to the promotions, in that, Pride really encourages fighters to stay active, penalizing them monetarily if they don't keep a fight interesting. And the Japanese respect a fighter that can put on a good entertaining fight, even if they lose. In UFC, so many times it's a "loser goes home" situation and contracts are held over the fighter's head, so they fight "not to lose", not to be exciting.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Paul Scott Shallenberger

Profile:  
"I find it hard to believe that Rich Franklin, Matt Hughs or Chuck could be beaten by a better fighter."

I would take Crocop, Silva and Henderson over those three any day (Even if Chuck is a bad ). Although I'm a little disappointed in the fight card they set up for their first American show I think it's a great move for PRIDE. It'll be good for foreign fighters to get away from the dead silent crowds and actually hear some cheers for a change

If they ever put Crocop and Fedor on the same card in America you better believe I'll be in the front row
Old 08-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Don't forget Shogun. Silva said himself that Shogun is a better fighter.http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21357/28583.jpg