CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I'm in real estate and I'm trying to figure out which URL to use for my business cards.

1) www.frankmenendez.com
or
2) www.fminvesting.com

Which is easier to remember, and makes more sense to use?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
IMO - use your name.... people may forget the DBA, but if they remember your name, you're golden. One thing we'll be doing is dot-coming both name and linking it to DBA site. That way you're hit no matter what!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

use something that will be more likely to be remembered, something that will be more likely to be spelled correctly, and something that will be more likely to be associated with search terms. Your name is cool for the remembering part, should be decent for the spelling part, but the search terms category, it may fall short. if investing is the business for which the site is used, the second name is a better choice. unless you don't plan on relying on search engine results for new business. which seems like a fairly bad idea.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

www.FMInvesting.com
Old 05-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
dave ojeda

Profile:
Bill,

It is all about branding!!! I would pick the second, FMInvesting and make sure that it properly reflects what your core business is. I read through your website and didn't feel like I know instantly what your main focus was.

Just my 2 cents, but with 20 years in IT and 10 years in real estate investing I have seen alot of ways not to make a well designed website.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Yoon Sohn

Profile:
Hey Frank,
Just a minor suggestion regarding your business e-mail: I'd lose the Comcast address and opt for something like frankm@(insert business name).com
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
The "about" page is first person. The "services" page is third person. FWIW, I prefer third person.

White letters inside the light blue is tough to read.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Frank Menendez

Profile:
Some excellent advice indeed! I will replace my generic email for one with my business name, get the about page in third person (which does make more sense), stick with FMInvesting...

My question to Dave (or anyone else who'd like to pitch in):

I am considering to revise my about page to include about me, but most importantly about "us" or about the company, stating what we do... and then working on the services to talk specifically about what we provide, does that make more sense?

Also, since you said you are an RE investor, what do you look for in a company that will cater to your real estate needs, and what would you be happy to see on their page?

All help appreciated!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
dave ojeda

Profile:
Regarding email you definately need to get your email address @ your domain. If you don't have that option with your website provider try out google domains for free
https://www.google.com/hosted/

Sign up for the beta, you will most likely be accepted. I used it for my address dave@crossfitchicago.com
It gives you 10 accounts and an admin account with POP forwarding so you can integrate it to Outlook. The service is top notch and the right price!

As for what I look for in a company it all depends on my needs. Right I am not sure by your website description what your company provides.