CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
Dan Rivera

Profile:
Lateral/Rear Upper Calf Pain squatting narrow

So about 6 months back I noticed when I brought my squat stance in to a more comfortable narrow position (wearing olympic shoes), I began developing some lateral and rear calf pain (this is only in my left calf). The pain became increasingly worse and no amount of stretching, lacrosse ball soft tissue work, or mobility work would rid the pain. Sort of by accident I noticed when I switched back to a wider stance in wrestling shoes, the pain went down dramatically and was not there on some days. The issue here is I feel stronger with a narrow stance and want to try and fix the issue.Just last week I tried to squat narrow in olympic shoes again and within 1 session had some crazy calf pain going on again.

When searching around online, I found some powerlifters that have the exact same issue (olympic shoes, narrow stance) and their only remedy was to widen their stance. Is there any way around this or some insight into what's going on?

I attached an image highlighting the areas of pain. It feels like there's a "trigger point" in the upper part of the calf but nothing necessarily releases no matter how hard you dig into it. However, if you hold pressure on the area with your thumb or a compression band, the pain completely stops. If I could only get that feeling to stick without compression.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calf pain.jpg
Views:	16545
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	13709  

Last edited by Dan Rivera; 01-14-2015 at 12:14 AM..