CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Sebastian B. Vaneria

Profile:
Returning From Golfer's Elbow

After about a month of avoiding pulling movements and the front rack position, I'm beginning to reintroduce those movements back into my routine. Yesterday, for example, our box programmed 5 x 3 push press. After a long warm-up and some additional K-Starr-inspired rack mobility work, I started slowly on the push press with a few sets with just the bar. I could feel slight discomfort on the first few sets -- not pain, but more of a "straining" sensation at the inner elbow. As the sets progressed, the discomfort all but disappeared. I kept the weight super light for the working sets (40kg) and just focused on maintaining solid positioning.

We then did a metcon that involved rowing machine and kettlebell swings, and I kept the weight light and went about 70& on the row. After the workout, I performed some self-massage, stretching of the forearm/tricep, and then ice massage. Today, there is the usual mild tightness in the elbow, but nothing bad at all.

It seems to me that the warmer I get, especially the wrist/elbow area, the better I feel. Is this normal for most folks returning from golfer's elbow? Also, is my plan wise, i.e., beginning to reintroduce the rack position at light loads into my routine? Is slight discomfort on the first few sets acceptable so long as it goes away as the sets progress and my body warms up? I'm trying to find the balance between giving the tendons time to heal and reintroducing movement. I'd love to hear from others who have experienced this injury and the quest to start cleaning/jerking/front squatting/pressing heavy again.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Dan Lehman

Profile:
Re: Returning From Golfer's Elbow

Would love to hear how you are doing now with this...I am now past my year anniversary of medial epicondilytis....brutal. I have had zero luck with anything...pt, cortisone shots, nitroglycerine patches, rest, stretch...sounds like you may have caught it before it got too bad and rested it properly in the beginning. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Dan,

Have you had any doctor look beyond your elbow for the cause of your pain. "Golfer's Elbow" is just a signal that something is wrong, not necessarily tells you where.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Chris Puckett

Profile:

I think I have what you define as golfers elbow, etc. I must be prone to it as I went through a bad bought of it years ago bench pressing with bad form.

recently I got it again bad, and I went all mobility wod on it by using a lacrosse ball. Lay on your stomach, arm extended over head, put the ball between the floor and your upper arm and lay into it with pressure. you want to roll out the inside of your upper arm, which would be the inside of your bicep and tricep just about the elbow. you will find some very hot spots and it will be sore for a few days, but I found this will release the whole elbow. combine this with proper shoulder activation(as found on mobility wod), and you should be able to prevent it.

Last edited by Chris Puckett; 05-03-2011 at 06:49 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Dan Lehman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Dan,

Have you had any doctor look beyond your elbow for the cause of your pain. "Golfer's Elbow" is just a signal that something is wrong, not necessarily tells you where.
Brian, yes...have been seeing a sports doc since November. Have had MRI, no tear, image just shows tendonitis.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lehman View Post
Brian, yes...have been seeing a sports doc since November. Have had MRI, no tear, image just shows tendonitis.
No offense, but most sports docs aren't really equipped to do functional analysis of the way you use your elbow, forearm, and wrist. Seeing someone who specializes in that like a physical therapist, sports chiropractor, or physiatrist would be much more useful. It's like a combo of your muscle tone, movement patterns, adhesions, overuse, etc leading to this.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lehman View Post
Dan,

Not doubting that you were diagnosed correctly. But that being only sign that there is a problem. NOT where the problem is coming from, only where you are currently having pain. Like, the weakest link in the chain.

Make sense? It doesn't to most patients....