CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Joey Scafidi

Profile:
quad cramps

don't know if this is normal or not but it seems that every time i do an intense sub 8min workout with loads of air-squats my quads cramp up so badly afterwards and it doesn't go away for nearly 20minutes. Does anyone else get this? It's almost as if i'm writhing in pain afterwards. I'm all for embracing the "suck" but i just don't see anyone else at my gym like this after workouts. and granted maybe i'm pushing harder than most at my box but there are a couple of guys right up there with me and they don't seem to have the same problem.

sub 7min jackie today and my quads cramped so badly it was ridiculous. the owner of our box told me to run around a bit to loosen them up and i tried but i honestly could not run. I feel great now, just looking to hear that other people have the same pain..
Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: quad cramps

Cramping can be common especially if you have very tight muscles.

When the muscles are fatigued that is the optimal time for cramps to occur because there ain't any ATP left to pump calcium back into the sarcoplasmic reticulum thus allowing the muscles to keep on contracting.

If you're not very flexible you should definitely work on that.....

But if the problem isn't going away you should also likely scale back intensity some to let your body hopefully adapt to it as well
Old 01-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Joey Scafidi

Profile:

thanks a lot Steven
Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Cramping can also be due to hydration and overhydration, therefore electrolyte imbalance. A low carb diet can create a dehydrated state as the body does not have excess glycogen stores as a source of water. There is ~2.7g per gram of glycogen. Also, as one exercises they are respiring more, therefore losing water. Fitness level is also a component to whether one cramps -- how efficient does the body circulate the blood. We get better as we get fitter. The environment in which you are working can be a culprit too -- heat creates more problems when no acclimated.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Brian Eberle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Scafidi View Post
don't know if this is normal or not but it seems that every time i do an intense sub 8min workout with loads of air-squats my quads cramp up so badly afterwards and it doesn't go away for nearly 20minutes. Does anyone else get this? It's almost as if i'm writhing in pain afterwards. I'm all for embracing the "suck" but i just don't see anyone else at my gym like this after workouts. and granted maybe i'm pushing harder than most at my box but there are a couple of guys right up there with me and they don't seem to have the same problem.

sub 7min jackie today and my quads cramped so badly it was ridiculous. the owner of our box told me to run around a bit to loosen them up and i tried but i honestly could not run. I feel great now, just looking to hear that other people have the same pain..
What has always helped me with severe cramping is plenty of water intake throughout the day, a good multivitamin each morning, and either an additional potassium supplement or eating bananas regularly. Since I was young when I had those issues, my body really responded well to those simple measures. Hope that helps!