CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Kris Ljunggren

Profile:
First off hello everyone, I'm Kris. I'm a Marine Officer Candidate from Austin, TX. A buddy from my plt emailed me the article on USMC and functional fitness and a link to crossfit and I've been hooked ever since.

I'm starting to run a T/Th evening program of workout and class instruction for the candidates, both to get ahead and relearn stuff. We've got one 'PT Candidate' running basically a 3mi circuit in the mornings of MWF (.25mi stops for exercises)... but I wanna do some functional stuff for them. My basic plan is to workout everything as much as possible, with maybe a little more focus on upper body (for the PFT) and a little more running involved. I will be incorporating at the very least Cindy and Chelsea every now and then, plus some 'knock-yourself-out' circuit stuff.

THis is what I ran the other day as a trial run... felt like my heart was gonna pound through my chest. 3 rounds in Boots and utes btw...
400m run
20 crunches
5 jumping pullups
7 pull ups/chin ups
5 knee to elbow
30 pushup
50m sprint
20 box jumps
50m sprint
30 squat
100m "I'm up, they see me, I'm down" slides*
200m run
3min rest

Ended with Marine upper body development: Decline ladder
15 pullups
30 pushups
10 pullups
25 pushups
8 pullups
20 pushups

* Sprint enough to say to yourself "I'm up, they see me"... Slide on your knees long enough to say "I'm down"... get back up and repeat

It's probably obvious that I'm new at forming these workouts... so I would definitely appreciate any advice.

There are other excersizes I wanna incorporate eventually... change it up and keep it fun, interesting and always new. Thrusters with MOLLE packs and 40lb concrete bags, fireman-carry sprints, burpees, all sorts of stuff. I want these candidates (and myself) heading to Quantico 'HARD' and ready for anything.

So... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance... Kris

(Message edited by swede958 on April 07, 2007)
Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Kris,
I'll point you straight to the journals specific to Mil/leo: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/leomil/#2207

All the articles are great, but this one should be manditory reading for all mil:
The AOFP CrossFit Austere Program, by Greg Glassman, Wade Rutland, JT Williams
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/A..._equipment.pdf

Semper fi,
Jerry
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Mark Paige

Profile:
Kris, first of all congrats and good luck. I graduated OCS last summer, commission this May. Crossfit will help you tremedeously in regards of injury prevention and completing the courses in Quantico. OCS is still very run based for its regular PT so make sure you are putting in plenty of miles, otherwise you could be NPQ'd for stress fractures and like injuries. Definately do the prescribed WOD, but add in other workouts as you see necessary. Ross Enamait of Rosstraining.com has a bunch of good ones in his book. Stew Smith's Navy Seal book has some good ones as well. Gym Jones has their schedule of workouts that are quarenteed to make you feel the pain and increase you ability to withstand. Your workout looks good, just keep it varied and intense. Just be sure that you are doing enough running and that you can consistently run 7 min miles up to 5 miles. You won't fall out of runs for running 8 min miles but you DO NOT want to be at the back of the pack the whole time, it draws unwanted attention. Read the articles Jerry posted, brows the message board. You'll never be able to read it all anyways. Good luck. Semper Fi!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
get the journal (subcribe) there is always a MIL oriented WO in the last pages. also look up Eugene Allen's blog (crossfit Pierce county) he has some unbelivable WO that are sure to push your endurance margins.