CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Andy Westcott

Profile:
Osterolysis of the clavicle

Hi Folks

I have recently been diagnosed with this, which basically means the end of my clavicle is slowly "disappearing". It is apparently brought on by a single trauma or repeated small trauma. I worked for about 20 years as a carpenter, and that probably contributed to my problem. I first noticed a problem when doing dips, (sharp pain at the top of the shoulder), and later when doing pushups (same pain). Pain is not found doing 'close grip' push-ups.
Activity modification for anywhere from 6-18 months usually corrects this problem, but now I'm wondering specifically what CF movements should be avoided/encouraged (other than the painful ones ...Duh).
Anyone else out there had this problem?

thanks
Andy
Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Keenan Lightner

Profile:
Re: Osterolysis of the clavicle

I had this for about a year and a half and during that time I was still participating in the bodybuilding protocol. I was able to provide some chest and shoulder stimulation by dumbell flys and raises, as well as the cable equivalents. I personally could not do any pressing exercise without an incredible pain shoot in my shoulder during this year and half. I religiously used NSAID's, ice pack/hot pack rotation and started using the "joint" supplements like Glucosamine/MSM and also Microlactin. I'm not sure what actually healed me, but I know it was a long and frustrating road.

As far as recommended CF exercises, I would like to see what the board veterens would suggest. I would stay away from pressing (as you have found out). I don't recall ever having any discomfort with pulling exercises though.

I feel for you because this condition is awful to have.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Andy Westcott

Profile:

Thanks Keenan:
Its not something that bothers me much in everyday life, just will restrict what movements I can do while recovering.
I'm thinking cleans should be ok, so long as I keep my elbows way out in front, and wondering about KB swings.
Right now TGU's dont cause any pain, and I think the stretch helps.
Maybe static OH holds are ok as long as I get my 'shoulders in my ears'. Im thinking OHS and snatch?
My Chiro is basically saying no presses, nothing overhead.
Have you had Xrays taken to confirm your recovery, or are you just pain free?

Andy
Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Keenan Lightner

Profile:

No I didn't have x-rays to confirm the recovery. The pain began to slowly subside after I modified my behavior, until it was completely gone.

At least you have a respectable cause to your problem, I consistently used too much weight and did enough forced reps to deteriorate bone. I was such a tough guy.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Good post, not too much info on this condition.

That is similar to what they diagnosed me with, AC joint arthrosis. What does that mean? Cartilage wear? ... I had pain after doing workouts that involved my shoulders. I do recall, however, that after a cortisone shot in September and 2-3 weeks of 100% rest (that was sooooo hard to do!!), I started doing Pendlay rows and got no pain. I'm not sure what caused it to come back, but soon after I was doing dumbell presses and chinups.. no idea which one caused it. I think I was doing "Floor press" besodes the pendlay rows and the pain didn't come back with those ones. Not sure though.

Recently I've done TGU's and those seem to be OK. I still can't do pushups pain-free. I will try close-grip and see how they feel.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Joel Chapman

Profile:

I had osteolysis in my AC joint about fifteen years ago. The more you try to tough it out and ignore the pain, the worse it will get. I couldn't even wash my hair without extreme pain. I was offered surgery as an option but chose not to have it done (I was playing football in college at the time and didn't want to miss a season). Instead I did no exercise that caused it pain for 18 months. Then I slowly worked back in certain exercises for about another five years until I could do anything except dips. About every year or so I try dips again, and I get that familiar pain. However, I am older and wiser, so I don't procede any further.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Last year I tried to "tough it out", and workout through the pain. The problem is, it didn't hurt WHILE doing exercises, it hurt afterwards, but I knew those exercises were causing it, and kept doing them. I should've known better.

I can't wait to try diamond pushups and see if they hurt or not. It would be great if I could do *something* as far as pressing movements go.