CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Jason Zemla

Profile:
shoulder subluxation

For the past two years now i have noticed that puching weight above my head my shoulder will sub-lux out backwords which makes me drop the weight. When my arm drop the shoulder pops right back into position, sometimes it is a little sore and other time i can go right back to what i am doing. It only seems to doit mostly when i do exerciese such as behind the head military and in fromt also, sometime when i do hand stand push up aslo. Any advice on what is could be. or exercises to fix it.
p.s. about two years ago also i fell dow a flight of steps and both my arms pronated and were forced backwords as i fell down the step my right arm i know dislocated and popped back in but my left on partially did.
help,
Jason Z
Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Re: shoulder subluxation

So you suffer posterior subluxation? I believe that's much rarer than anterior shoulder instability. In any event, I think its a chronic problem. You will probably need to educate yourself on available options and remedies. The injuries message board has numerous threads on shoulder problems so be sure to search the archives. All things being equal, you should definitely try the more conservative (non-surgical) approaches. After that, you will be the best judge of how much this mitigates your condition. You may find that by controlled and careful strengthening of the shoulder through as much range of motion as you can along with avoidance of dangerous movements will be acceptable. On the other hand, you may find that, despite aggressively pursuing conservative therapies, the limits to your lifestyle are unacceptable. If this is the case then you will probably want to educate yourself on the various surgical remedies for chronic shoulder instability.

Speaking for myself, I have had surgeries on both my shoulders to repair chronic dislocations (anterior). While I am happy with the results, I wasn't informed enough at the time of my decision to pursue less invasive non-surgical therapies.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: shoulder subluxation

If it were me, I would spend time DAILY working on TGU (Turkish Get Ups) see the last few CF journals for some great articles.

You could also look in the exercise description pages for videos and descriptions.

Start light especially with your issue