CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
Kevin Moore

Profile:
Re: Thought about Machida?

I remember when MMA started to become popular, people were bashing judo as useless in real live combat, even though police departments and military use judo in their training. Now look at where judo is on the MMA scale. I enjoyed watching Karo Parisyans fight. Two judokas putting it out there in the cage. Hopefully karate will start that evolution into MMA as well. I do believe part of Karates problem is how poorly it did in the early UFCs. Hopefully Machida can bring Karate back into the light.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #22
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Woodrow View Post
The UFC likes to market him as a fighter that most opponents can't figure out. So, how would you go about fighting him? What type of strategy do you think Greg Jackson and Rashad will come up with assuming Machida gets the title shot he deserves?

Honestly, I would have tried to fight him like Thiago, by being super aggressive and pushing the pace relentlessly. That obviously did not work too well.
He is an effective counter puncher who is really, REALLY good at range. He is always just out of your range and just close enough for his range. You need to find a way to bait him and instead of letting him time you, time him. See what he does is a lot like what Chuck did. He would find you timing, bait you and then counter punch. Lyoto just has a few more weapons, he seems to really like that knee/punch combo and he is less inclined to trade unless you are hurt. Greg jackson and rashad, well, really Jardine first. Found ways to get Chuck to come to them. Jardine stayed outside and chooped Chucks leg, which posts a lot of weight on and Rashad just stayed out of range and frustrated Chuck. Same thing needs to happen with Machida, everyone has played right into his evil little game. Point: get Machinda to come to you and create his own openings. You never want to chase a good counter puncher, thats what they wantyou to do. I knew soon as Thiago said he was coming after him, he was going to lose that fight. I would say a good BJJ guy could give Machida some problems being that TITO almost traingled him, and Tito his not known for submissions off his back.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #23
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
. I would say a good BJJ guy could give Machida some problems being that TITO almost traingled him, and Tito his not known for submissions off his back.
I agree. The only reason why Tito didn't finish Machida is because he went for the head first instead of locking the foot and securing the position. (It simply amazes me that a fighter with Titos' experience would make such a rookie mistake ).

Such an elusive fighter as Machida must be taken to the ground, period! That's the beauty of BJJ...
Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #24
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
I agree. The only reason why Tito didn't finish Machida is because he went for the head first instead of locking the foot and securing the position. (It simply amazes me that a fighter with Titos' experience would make such a rookie mistake ).

Such an elusive fighter as Machida must be taken to the ground, period! That's the beauty of BJJ...
I need to rewatch that, So he tried pulling the head down BEFORE he locked in the actual triangle? I know some instructors teach to hold the head so the opponent can't posture up and then lock the foot. I perfer to lock the ankle and then pull arm across and head down. If i remember correctly, Tito was also really squared up on that triangle instead of cutting the angle, which makes it hard to finish against a good opponent.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #25
Bret Ellis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post

I totally agree with Celio...it's gonna take somebody with excellent takedown skills+superior BJJ skills to beat him. Question is...who presents the best package at LHW in the UFC right now?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #26
Bernard Edwards

Profile:

Hmmm Anderson Silva has been fighting LHW these days right???
Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Edwards View Post
Hmmm Anderson Silva has been fighting LHW these days right???
They are good friends and train together, that is a no go. Anderson has stated in interviews that the belt is Lyotos and he just likes fighting at that weight class.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #28
Bernard Edwards

Profile:

Haha - Rashad VS Silva ??? (Anderson)
Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #29
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Edwards View Post
Haha - Rashad VS Silva ??? (Anderson)
Could be fun but could also be boring because they are both counter punchers. But i think Rashad maybe could hurt Lyoto because he is patient and would not just chase him around like a lost puppy.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #30
Max Zerba

Profile:

The reason BJJ, MT, and Boxing do well in MMA is because they have a strong sport aspect that emphasizes finishing the fight, KO or submission. Wrestling is big because of an extremely strong sport following in the US and bridges the gaps. Sport Karate, TKD, and Judo finishes do not cross over to MMA. The vast majority of these schools focus on sport. I'm not saying good fighters don't train in these arts, but their are not the number of schools to put out strong fighters in large numbers. Point sparring and Ippon don't finish MMA fights.