CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:
Need help with my 531 BBB

Guys i've been doing 531 alone for 5 or 6 months and i have been progressing without any problems. After my cut, i wanted and needed to gain some lean mass (5"11 164 lb), so i started 531 with Boring But Big template. This is my schedule and i'm planning to do that for at least 1 year to be a stronger and more competitive guy;

Monday:531 Press +5x10 Bench superset with 5x6 chins +30 burpee chinups
Tuesday: 531 Squat + 5x10 Deadlift + 5x12 weighted abs

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 531Bench+5x10 Press/5x5 pullups +3x6 dips +30 burpee pullups
Friday: 531 Deadlift + 5x10 Squat + 5x12 weighted abs

Saturday: Dirty thirty day
Sunday: Rest

Now my questions;

1- I can't program my metcons and i feel like a powerlifter, not a crossfitter, that makes me sad. Wendler suggests doing your conditioning after lower body days but i can't really move my feet effectively after a squat-deadlift day, so i just find the energy to do my abs work, no metcons after. On upper body days i superset my 5x10 sets with pulls or chins. Wendler says complete 50 reps with pulls or chins, that's why i'm doing the burpee-pullups or burpee-chinups thing at the end of the day. On saturday i decided to do filthy fifty but it was so hard for me to complete, that's why i decided to make it a dirty 30. Do you think that much conditioning is enough to at least maintaining your condition and keep your heart healthy ? If not what would you suggest me to do ? Also do you think i can count playing tennis for 1 hour as a conditioning work ?

2- Oly lifting. I was planning to do snatches before squat and power cleans before deadlift but i tried it for a week and lower body days are even more consuming, i feel like i've been overtrained, that's why i removed them from my schedule. Do you think you need to do power cleans to get stronger with power cleans or it increases as you get stronger with main lifts and improve your technique ? I don't wanna say omg i forgot power cleans and work for power cleans for 2 more years after 2 years of dedicated working out, that's why i need your opinions on oly lifting.

Also Would be glad to hear if you want to criticise my schedule too, i want to learn more and more, that's why i'm always happy with hearing people's thoughts. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
William Garrett

Profile:
Re: Need help with my 531 BBB

Its good you have addressed your concerns early in the game instead of mid stride, and constantly changing things then expected to see the desired outcome without a definitive plan in place.

I have dabbled with BBB in the past, and I have found it to be brutal if you truly push the percentages to the 50-60% area on your 5x10's, recovery becomes key as he suggests, and sometimes impossible haha.

There is also a variation of BBB that swaps the 5x10 sets with the other exercise. I gave this a shot, and really liked the gains I saw. See link below.....it looks alot llike yours btw.

LINK SAFE
http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/bor...onth-challenge

Quote:
1- I can't program my metcons and i feel like a powerlifter, not a crossfitter, that makes me sad. Wendler suggests doing your conditioning after lower body days but i can't really move my feet effectively after a squat-deadlift day, so i just find the energy to do my abs work, no metcons after. On upper body days i superset my 5x10 sets with pulls or chins. Wendler says complete 50 reps with pulls or chins, that's why i'm doing the burpee-pullups or burpee-chinups thing at the end of the day.

Don't over think conditioning, its not that hard. Wendler is a huge fan of sprints, pushing and pulling whatever you can get your hands on, farmers walks, rowing sprints, loaded carries etc. Just do something, and do it with some intensity, your legs will move trust me. I have always done my deadlift and squat days at the opposite end of the spectrum with 2 off between. I have found the best recovery doing this. Again, dont discount the importance of recovery when the load, and reps are super high like BBB.

I typically like to program something in that will complement the main movement into a small metcon in the 8-12 min area. My squat day on Monday was the basic strength sets, then a 12 min Metcon of 8 wallballs, and 100m farmers walk with 70lb KB in each hand. That was a burner, and it was simple.

Conditioning is also what you make it, Im an avid mountain biker, and I usually ride 2-3 times per week, 1-2 hours when im out, and I also downhill mountain bike, those days can be just demanding as the days on the weights if you push yourself. Push in those areas where you would normally stop or slow down. Just because your not in a gym next to a barbell doesn't mean you cannot inflict punishment and see progress.

Quote:
This is my schedule and i'm planning to do that for at least 1 year to be a stronger and more competitive guy
Based off what I see you need to condition more if your desire it to be "competitive" at any contest level. Thats just my 2 cents though, im sure others will chime in with far more knowledge and experience than I have.

Good Luck!
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 09-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Garrett View Post
Its good you have addressed your concerns early in the game instead of mid stride, and constantly changing things then expected to see the desired outcome without a definitive plan in place.

I have dabbled with BBB in the past, and I have found it to be brutal if you truly push the percentages to the 50-60% area on your 5x10's, recovery becomes key as he suggests, and sometimes impossible haha.

There is also a variation of BBB that swaps the 5x10 sets with the other exercise. I gave this a shot, and really liked the gains I saw. See link below.....it looks alot llike yours btw.

LINK SAFE
http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/bor...onth-challenge

Don't over think conditioning, its not that hard. Wendler is a huge fan of sprints, pushing and pulling whatever you can get your hands on, farmers walks, rowing sprints, loaded carries etc. Just do something, and do it with some intensity, your legs will move trust me. I have always done my deadlift and squat days at the opposite end of the spectrum with 2 off between. I have found the best recovery doing this. Again, dont discount the importance of recovery when the load, and reps are super high like BBB.

I typically like to program something in that will complement the main movement into a small metcon in the 8-12 min area. My squat day on Monday was the basic strength sets, then a 12 min Metcon of 8 wallballs, and 100m farmers walk with 70lb KB in each hand. That was a burner, and it was simple.

Conditioning is also what you make it, Im an avid mountain biker, and I usually ride 2-3 times per week, 1-2 hours when im out, and I also downhill mountain bike, those days can be just demanding as the days on the weights if you push yourself. Push in those areas where you would normally stop or slow down. Just because your not in a gym next to a barbell doesn't mean you cannot inflict punishment and see progress.

Based off what I see you need to condition more if your desire it to be "competitive" at any contest level. Thats just my 2 cents though, im sure others will chime in with far more knowledge and experience than I have.

Good Luck!
I'm also doing the reverse program, i find deadlift after deadlift or bench after bench is consuming and boring. Rippetoe and many other s&c coaches suggests gaining endurance is far easier than gaining strength, that's why i want to get stronger first than mostly focus on technique and endurance. To be more clear, i wish to get stronger to be a crossfitter.

Thanks for the reply man.

Edit: Ah i forgot to ask. Have you done anything with oly lifting when you were on bbb ?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
William Garrett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
I'm also doing the reverse program, i find deadlift after deadlift or bench after bench is consuming and boring. Rippetoe and many other s&c coaches suggests gaining endurance is far easier than gaining strength, that's why i want to get stronger first than mostly focus on technique and endurance. To be more clear, i wish to get stronger to be a crossfitter.

Thanks for the reply man.

Edit: Ah i forgot to ask. Have you done anything with oly lifting when you were on bbb ?

I work in squat cleans, power cleans and hang during my deload week, fairly heavy single and triples. However, the power clean seems to be my "go-to" movement. Also did some jerk variations on the press days, both in/out of metcons. I also do them during my 3 week cycle as well, just dont have a strong focus on them. I tend to use my deload week on the stuff I really hate the most (weakness's). I stray away from snatches (anything over 135) after some nagging shoulder injuries, and mobility issues. Just not worth the risk to me at age 36.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30