CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Sol Agramont

Profile:
Anybody do some sort of initial assessment for new clients? Like checking for flexibility issues or areas that need to be worked on.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Jason Boag

Profile:
Have you tried the search function? Lots of info there.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Sol Agramont

Profile:
I did a search but didn't really find what I'm referring to. I'm looking for some assessment type of exercises that would help in determining flexibility/posture issues. Wondering if some of the affilitates practice something like that.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Squats will tell you just about everything you ever wanted to know about a persons flexibility. Overhead squats with a pvc even more so...

Old 12-20-2006, 02:31 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I'm trying to think of any other more suited to crossfit, and I can't think of any better than the OHS, Pierre.

How about vert leap?

I'd want to say L sit, but we'll go easy and say tucked support or maybe pucked support with hips at 90 and lower legs at 45.

I the tucked support as it brings to evidence push power besides abs.

As a coach, I'd say handstand as that can tell me a lot about upper body and core; but realistically that doesn't transfer over well to CF folks.

Vert leap and OHS are simple without getting any funny looks. Tucked support would be there as well. In the vert leap, you can see how they recover; maybe add tucking the knees up to vary.

I'd add a rope climb would be good or maybe knees to elbows. A burpee would be awesome but too much for a trial.

I guess I'm gonna have to have some pvc handy for evaluating gymnasts!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
I learned several methods of evaluating a new client during my college and certification education. However, today I primarily utilize the CF warm-up to assess a new client.

The evaluation begins as soon as they walk in the door; gait and posture. The first time through the CF warm-up will show physical weaknesses and flexibility issues.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Skip,
I think you have a good point because postural cues and bit of simple movement can tell you most of what you need to know.

To be fair I think for many even the CrossFit warm-up is a bit much, thats why I start with squats than ohs. Because people can either do them or not, and if not that the first thing we have to work on...

Fix the hips and core and everything else will gel.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
"To be fair", I think you are underestimating the abilities of new clients. Our clients are aged 12-74 yrs old. EVERYONE of them, during their first visit, performed the CF warm-up. Granted, the warm-up was 'scaled' for some (exercises and reps)but ALL did the warm-up. Most clients are unable to perform a basic air squat properly, so none have been able to perform an OHS during first visit.

I could be wrong, but in my experience the warm-up has been the best indicator of the clients level of fitness.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
Pierre Auge

Profile:
To avoid any miscommunication thats my point Skip...

Most initially cannot perform a basic squat properly but observing the attempt tells me why. Once I know why I can generally do something about it with fair expediency. I agree that the CF Warm-up is pretty much the place to start on movement. Though my experience is lesser than yours I admit, I haven't run across anyone yet whom I couldn't get into an air squat and most with exceptions into an ovehead squat in a short time.

It takes some effort but that is the entire point of the execise. Most also can't do any pull-ups or dips but by teaching them the mechanics of the squat/OHS I can get them doing jumping pull-ups and dips into a half squat safely and with good form! By focusing on those two initial goals everything else usually just falls into place.

My Initiatives
Primary - make them strong enough to move themselves

Secondary - make them strong enough to move other things

Tertiary - make it metabolic & mix it up

If they can't do any of those things the first thing I'm concerned with is the WHY? Why is always the most powerful question, because I already know the WHO and the WHEN, but WHY will tell me the WHAT WHERE and the HOW... I try and live by this

"It doesn't matter what your coach can do, what matters is can your coach make you better at what you do, now?"

Does that make any sense by the way, I'm a bit sleep deprived, so I apologize if I'm all over the place...
Old 12-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Sounds all good. I like the idea of a few exercises to evaluate early on and go from there. I'm used to the 5 minute evaluation as a coach with prospecting students. Maybe 10 minutes, but generally within 5, I've gotten a good idea or should.
The CFWU would give a good idea how to approach them in a workout plan for the beginning short term.
5-10 minutes is just a period to figure where they are at.