CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #291
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

Just announced:

Event 3

For time:
104 wall-ball shots
52 pull-ups

Event 4

4 rounds for time:
28 one-legged squats, alternating
15 power cleans

I think it will be interesting to see who survives Day 1. The minimum work requirement for event 1 is only 1 snatch, so I think all the regional guys should be able to snatch 185# at least once and all the ladies should be able to snatch 135 at least once, so I don't think that event will eliminate anyone.

Regional Nate is a different story. The minimal work requirement is 1 round. I think some of the ladies might not be able to do 4 strict muscle ups.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #292
Steven Ngo

Profile:

those wall-balls seem overly complicated

first 26 must hit the left of the left target, next 26 to the right of the left target
next 26 must hit the left of the right target, last 26 to the right of the right target.

If the ball hits the bottom or top edge of the target, or does not hit the target at all, that rep will not count.

(also, same peeve i had last year about the regional videos -- why not show the movement standards in them?)
Old 05-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #293
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ngo View Post
those wall-balls seem overly complicated

first 26 must hit the left of the left target, next 26 to the right of the left target
next 26 must hit the left of the right target, last 26 to the right of the right target.

If the ball hits the bottom or top edge of the target, or does not hit the target at all, that rep will not count.
Hmmm, I wonder if they'll have large, rectangular targets or something. I'm assuming it's just so spectators can tell who's in the lead. Which is a good idea in theory, but everyone is good enough with wallballs I assume there won't be very much separation at all.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #294
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

might be tough to hit the target every time. Normally most would do un broken and hit the pull ups un broken. Then short rest and hit the pistols and light cleans. This year for some reason I am looking forward to the events. Everyone loves a snatch latter or speed.. but this is so different. Multi reps 30 of them going real fast.. going to be interesting. The 21 reps of 405 dl with the running and ghd.. that is going to sent people into the hurt locker for Sunday. Looks like a good chipper to close out the regionals.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #295
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Props to Becca Voigt. She's amazing!

Did you see Dan Bailey's finish to Regionals?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 AM   #296
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Props to Becca Voigt. She's amazing!

Did you see Dan Bailey's finish to Regionals?
Yes, seeing Bailey miss out is awful! I'd rather have him than Josh Bridges! (although Bridges was a monster all weekend!)

Ence missing out is a bummer too.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #297
Christopher Morris

Profile:

On that last workout Dan got to the barbell for the set of 9 in third place. He must have lost steam and finished the workout in 9th. If he could have hung on to 3rd he would have qualified for the Games.

Brooke Ence won the California Regional last year. This year she got sixth place.

I was surprised to see Jamie Hagiya qualify. She tore an achilles on some high box jumps during a Grid competition in 2014. I hadn't followed her much since then. Clearly she has had a good recovery and gotten back in tip-top shape to qualify for the Games this year.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 05-16-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #298
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Many new faces going to the games. Too bad about Dan.. but his ohs game needs some work. Two years in a row now. Might take a page out of Josh B's fixing weaknesses. He pr'ed the snatch and handled the 405 dead lifts with confidence. Beasted everyone in the building. Little fish did well also. Becca V what a story. Not the best in the world but maybe most well rounded. 9 in a row.. congrats.

Maddy M.. hope she is ok from that tumble on the last event. Kind of a melt down.. but she wiped the tears away and finished. That snatch ladder was silly for her.. light weight all touch and goes no problem. Super star for sure one day.

I really liked the programming when it showed up on paper. But watching it live and on the computer it was jumbled up.

No need to have the athletes change the weights. Make it a ladder and have 5 bars. The Nate workout was way too long and harsh on the people who did not complete the min work. Could have been 10 min and that would have been enough to see people skills on strict MU and HSPU.

Overall was a good weekend. Top story were Josh B on the mens side and Becca V on the woman's side.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #299
Michael Cook

Profile:

Lots of awesome stuff during the first week of Regionals.

Kara Webb absolutely crushed the workouts. Hopefully this will be a good year for her at the Games.

Tia-Clair Toomey and Alethea Boon also showed that they are the real deal in Australia.

Lauren Fisher, Becca Voigt and Josh Bridges all proved that they have what it takes to get to the game. I was so impressed by Becca's consistency and resiliency. All top 10 finishes and 1 event win shows that she does not have any weaknesses relative to the field.

Josh Bridges really impressed me, especially on the snatch ladder. He PR'd twice on the final bar - but it took him 4 or 5 attempts to make 2 successful attempts. I think we have all been there where we are going for a PR and after 1 or 2 close misses, the misses get farther and farther away. Josh had a few misses but kept up the intesnsity and when I thought he was done, he nailed the last attempt and it was his best one.

Brooke Ence and Dan Bailey looked like they didn't have a BAD competition, it's just that others did better than they were capable of that weekend.

And EZ Mohammad. Missing the last rope climb. So sad for him. The frustration at being so close and letting it just slip through your grasp.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #300
Steven Ngo

Profile:

If you didn't see Madeline Sturt's performance on event 5 (run / GHD / deadlifts), take a few minutes to check it out (pacific, heat 3).

5' 2" / 130lbs and went unbroken. incredible.

on a separate note:

Seems there was no contingency for false starting and actually was beneficial. someone false started on the one-minute break between event 3 and 4 and it ended up being like a 1 minute 45 second break (not a lot but every second counts, right?)

Last edited by Steven Ngo : 05-16-2016 at 12:09 PM.