CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #1
Alex Burden

Profile:
The Elite and supplements

We all know about the different eating diets people are on - paleo and other stuff but we do not hear much about what supplements the elite are taking.

There is no way none of the elite are not taking something to improve or enable better recovery or enable better muscle growth.

Most of the elite have supplement sponsors for different reasons (more often for the freebie and the cash behind it).

So my question is:

Anyone know what products the elite are using and why?

and

What supplements do you take and why?

There is very little information on this within CF that could be of great interest for many of us.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: The Elite and supplements

Im pretty sure its at least creatine, bcaas with some carbs.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

It isn't like the elite have some sort of access to magical supplements that we don't. They might be on steroids or other performance enhancing drugs that blur the line of what is and what isn't legal but other than that it is just the basics.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
It isn't like the elite have some sort of access to magical supplements that we don't. They might be on steroids or other performance enhancing drugs that blur the line of what is and what isn't legal but other than that it is just the basics.
There are lots of basics and that is what is interesting to find out because it's not that basic/simple.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
There are lots of basics and that is what is interesting to find out because it's not that basic/simple.
Supplements are pretty basic and simple. Protein, creatine, fish oil, multi vitamin (debatable), and caffeine. There are a few other things that have been shown to have some positive impact but a lot aren't worth the money.

If you want to learn more Examine (http://examine.com/ wfs) is a great resource as they provide unbiased, fact based scientific analysis.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Supplements are pretty basic and simple. Protein, creatine, fish oil, multi vitamin (debatable), and caffeine. There are a few other things that have been shown to have some positive impact but a lot aren't worth the money.

If you want to learn more Examine (http://examine.com/ wfs) is a great resource as they provide unbiased, fact based scientific analysis.
Hi there, I know an awful lot about supplements as I used to sell them at a gym I run years back and use them myself today for numerous reasons.

I am interested in what the elite are up too
Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Hi there, I know an awful lot about supplements as I used to sell them at a gym I run years back and use them myself today for numerous reasons.

I am interested in what the elite are up too
What do you think they are up to? I mean, other than using the supplements above from whatever company is sponsoring them. Do you think they have something we don't?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #8
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
What do you think they are up to? I mean, other than using the supplements above from whatever company is sponsoring them. Do you think they have something we don't?
We all use different supplements for different reasons.

Getting to know what the products they use in what combination and when during the day can be of interest to us!

or be it the case we will never find out.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Getting to know what the products they use in what combination and when during the day can be of interest to us!
I'll give you the "it can be of interest" but this is one of the biggest mistakes in the athlete/fitness world today. The Lebron James, Usain Bolt, NFL linebacker, Rich Froning, Dmitry Klokov, Olympian, etc. etc. of the world are literally like 1% of all those that are on some sort of athletic and fitness journey. Even if a large percentage of the 99% that are NOT elite are journeying towards the greatness of that 1%, there needs to be more distinction.

Sometimes, the training plans, programs, "supplements", nutrition info and all things involved are too readily available. The problem is when the guy that wants to be strong thinks that he can follow the powerlifting program of a guy that totals 2400. When the volume of the aspiring 17yr old Crossfitter that wants to be at the games starts to emulate what Rich does because, well, Rich won with it.

The average person and even the really high level athlete has such different nutritional needs, schedules, coaching, life stress, physical adaptation and so many other things that it makes no sense to see "what they do" for some hope of copying or learning from that.

Most of us don't want to see the simple 1. Back Squat more, 2. Work on Olympic lifts 2-3x per week, 3. Run or row in intervals more, 4. Eat better, 5. Do more push-ups and pull-ups and rinse repeat day after day for years. Thats boring. Instead, we see what the elite are doing now and today without awareness and focus on what they started with.

I remember I used to buy Flex magazine in high school and early college. I followed the Dorian Yates chest routine to a T. For about 3 weeks, then realized, it was stupid and I wasn't looking like him. I wonder why.....

not sure what my whole point was other than, the only thing all of us should do that is exactly what they do is WORK. The rest is bull$hit.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Cam Peavy

Profile:

It's most likely GH, just not to a high level, as well as test and possibly Insulin. I'd have to also bet that a lot of the high level athletes cycle in EPO for competition times.