CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Be the judge/jury/executioner on my diet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Glad to help

Yeah I lifted 1-2x a day, 5 days a week with just a little bit of tank work tossed in. Was the big 3 lifts and a good amount of accessory work.

I ate a ton of chickens, eggs, avacado, milk, tuna, nuts.

I took the higher protein and fat approach and went lower on my carbs. I honestly saw great results and think my body did better that way vs when I have tried diets with more carbs and less fat. Of course everyone is different

I would say add 100-200 calories each day every 1-2 weeks and see how your numbers go (strength and weight). When I hit 3600 calories I was gaining muscle and fat it looked like. When I was 2700-2900 I felt sore and unable to recover. I found my sweet spot within 2 months and rode it for 8 months.

I've mentioned in a previous post a kid I coached that was trying to gain weight and we added a protein shake a day then 2 weeks later added another. After that we added a scoop of ice cream to one of the shakes. Over a few more weeks we tried another scoop in the second shake but that was too much and turned into fat. So dropped it down to some ice cream in a shake every day / other day if I remember right. He looked amazing and gained some great muscle mass / strength too. (Oh to be young again).

Key with a good diet is to modify it slowly over time and then gauge if it was for better or worse. Usually 2 weeks was enough time to see.

Good luck with your goal though and keep postin the progress.
Thanks so much man! This is the first time since I started lifting 4-5 years ago, that I've actually focused on my diet. I've gotten stronger over the years, but always looked bleh. (Here's proof) (WFS). So yeah, just trying to look a bit stronger. Lifting more, and eating better should hopefully get me there.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

So I'm almost 2 weeks done with logging my food - here's the start of this week - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/dia...ate=2015-02-09 - and I'm getting better at getting my calories up. I'll probably take some pictures monday because I don't LOOK like I'm making any progress, but I'm also not seeing any difference on the scale either. Now that the diet has settled down a little, and I can see a bit of consistency over last week, same question is posed, what do you think?

(Yes, I ate a muscle brownie on Saturday. Yes, I know it's an overpriced candybar. Yes, it was totally worth it!)

Last edited by Nicholas Wheeler : 02-12-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Link above WFS
Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

How much sleep do you consistently get and how much water do you drink?

Yeah, I'd definitely get some pictures in the morning possibly Monday. I generally just do a mirror check in the morning but I did take some pictures about a month ago. I don't bother checking the scale if I eat more carbs the day/night before. Generally about 2 days after that.

Have your workouts been going well?

Low T at 31? Do you get your sleep in? Lots of VitD, if not I would just take a bunch. You can get TRT in the USMC but I don't think it should be your first option because while it can be beneficial, there are some side effects (like if you want to have kids basically). Bottom line is that low T will not be helping your desire to lean out, much less be more muscle-ey. Another thing would be getting your thyroid checked I guess.

You could try taking some protein powder on those days you went with a protein less salad. And spiking protein powder with L-leucine or BCAA's (Leucine would be cheaper).

Yeah, I had a real brownie last week for the first time in many months and it was delish. Unfortunately they were out on Saturday. I admit, I tend to cheat on my rest days as I'm hoping it helps me recover. About the worst thing I eat on my training days (5d/wk) is a granola bar or fruit snacks intra workout if I feel low on energy.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #14
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Sleep is super on-point, with the exception of waking up every night to pee. But 8 hours is built into the schedule. No issues there. I eat dinner pretty late before I go to bed (dinner between 7-9 depending on how long to prep, bed by 9:30)

Workouts seem to be going pretty well. Following John Welbourne's Field Strong program, and I'm loving every second of it (except dead bugs, they are the new burpee).

The only side-effect of the TRT you mentioned is actually amazing for me, I'm a no kids for life kind of person!

I've been adding in protein when I could, and BCAA's are so tasty from AtLarge nutrition, I basically treat them like a treat.

It's been a week since I posted this, so I'm still testing it all out, this past weekend was a disaster because I had drill weekend, which messes up my schedule to no end (yay, responsibilities!)
Old 02-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
The only side-effect of the TRT you mentioned is actually amazing for me, I'm a no kids for life kind of person!
Some guys have still reported getting females prego on TRT or steroid use. So it's not full proof. Or said gal was lying about who is the baby daddy. Could be either/or.