CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
David Mathews

Profile:
I am recovering from shoulder surgery and have just started back doing pullups.My question is,since I'm a little reluctant to learn kipping pullups right now and would like to stick to slow dead hang pullups how do I scale down the WOD's with large pullup numbers that would be hard to complete without kipping?(50%,25%,75%???)
Old 04-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
People are very reluctant to come clean with this info and you will be strongly encouraged to kip, but I think it is 50%.

ps: I am not really an advanced member, I just ask allot of questions on this board. So I may be dead wrong.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
David,
I'd suggest you scale the pullup-centric (and others you have issues with) workouts to where it takes you around 30 minutes (not less than 20', or you up the scale), give or take 5', to finish it. That means that you've been working at a good level for you, for a long enough time to get the desired metabolic stimulus.

That's what I would do. I was so happy last week to finish the push-jerk and L-pullup WOD as rx'd, in 29:20. To me, that seems correct, now my times have nowhere to go but down.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
benjamin lankow

Profile:  
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Substitutions6
Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #5
Jeremy Donovan

Profile:  
I would suggest using one of the pull up machines to assit you when you can no longer pull up your weight. In order to avoid kipping. It might not be what you are looking for but I hope it helps.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

David:

I would agree with you NOT to do kipping while coming off a shoulder injury or surgery . . . approach it tenderly, a little bit at a time.

That said, if you *can* do dead-hangs, then by all means, do so. Garrett's advice is excellent, but in all honesty, don't overthink it. Just do what you can do. You probably will have to cut back by at least 25%, maybe 50% (that's how many more kipping pullups I can do than deadhang).

But I really wouldn't worry about the exact number or ratios. Respect the shoulder, do as many as you can without pain, and then move on. If you feel like you didn't get enough metabolic conditioning, do an extra set of Tabata squats at the end.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
David Mathews

Profile:
Thanks for the replies! I have the ironwoody bands for my wife and daughter who are using them to eventually be able to do "real" pullups so I think I will do as many as I can comfortably and then go to the bands to finish until I'm completely rehabbed.Then I'll re-introduce kipping,sound good?