CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Tamara's log

7/8/09 AGAIN

This is for last night's workout. I did the WOD at the affiliate in the morning, and then I had my second private coaching session last night. It wasn't my intent to do two workouts in one day, but I will take what I can get in terms of "free" time to have a private coaching session!

So, I got there a few minutes early and was able to see the Integrating Conditioned Excellence (ICE) training. Their WOD was:
21-18-15-12-9-6-3
Front squats at 75% your clean heavy single weight
Chest-to-bar pullups

84 reps of each...insane. Firebreathers. Talk about inspiration. Plus, two of the coaches were doing the workout, and wow, am I happy I have them training me!

Warmed up with a 500m row. 2:04. Last week was 2:14, so I was happy. It was just a function of getting more comfortable with the movement. Of course, I am itching to go sub 2:00 next week!

Watched some video of my cleans and snatches from last week. At least I'm getting good at seeing what I'm doing wrong on film! I was repeating "hit the heels" and "keep your chin down" to myself all week, but I could see on the video that keeping my arms locked through the jump and the timing of the pull were other huge issues. Oh, and let's not forget popping my hips.

So, we spent the entire time on the clean. I used 42 lbs so that I could do a high number of reps and work on form. I definitely hit my heels more often, and I was much better with my chin. I've got to work on timing. I'm going too slow clearing my knees and then pulling too early when the bar is still at my knees. I did get some good ones in...and I guess the good news is that I can tell when it is good. I have to string together a bunch of good cleans in a row so that my body can remember that feeling and do it AGAIN!

The fantastic news of the evening was that I pulled together a half-decent kip swing! That was totally unexpected. The morning was terrible, ugh. Then, I just felt it click last night and it was so much better. Whoohoo!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/10/09

Skill work: Tumbling! So much fun. Got to use the springboard. I'm really good at rolls and diving rolls. Not good at anything pushing off with the hands. Need to figure out timing with the springboard.

WOD: Tabata this
Pullups (band assisted, of course) 9-7-3-3-3-2-3-3
Pushups (from knees) 12-10-9-5-5-4-3-4
Situps 9-9-9-9-10-9-9-9
Plank holds or handstand holds - two of us went for the handstand holds, everyone else went for plank. This was my chance to prove that I actually do kick *** at HS, and I do! I failed on the 5th one, pushed myself into plank hold, did plank for 6th one to recover and then HS for 7 and 8. My form was good, and I was able to keep it good throughout. Right now, my arms are total jello and my wrists may never forgive me, but it was so worth it! So, even if I am the weakest or slowest at everything else, my HS rock!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #13
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Note to self: If you want every muscles in your body to hurt, don't bother doing squats/cleans/thrusters/presses. Just do a bunch of handstand holds. Wow, it was rough getting out of bed this morning. Wrists, triceps, traps, glutes, calves...I'm surprised my toes don't hurt. Wow, I underestimated how taxing it is to stabilize your entire body for that amount of time. Can't wait to do it again!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/11/09

We had an affiliate family BBQ last night at someone's house, and of course, there was a WOD to go with it. We were told to bring our running shoes. I figured on a run, only because they obviously weren't dragging barbells over from the affiliate. The house was just a couple of streets down from mine, and our neighborhood is very hilly, like most of Asheville, heh. So, needless to say, I didn't have the best attitude about our potential WOD.

The WOD consisted of four runs of approximately 1000m each, maybe 1200m, but I wouldn't want anyone to think I suffered more than I did. So, we'll go with 1000m, since no one had measured it. There was one giant hill...a horribly giant hill. Also, to get from the starting field to the run, you had to go down a flight of stone steps and then go back up them to get back to the field.

WOD:
100' walking lunge
Run down steps, 1000m run, run up steps
21 burpees
15 burpees
9 burpees
100' walking lunge

Honestly, this was the WORST workout of my entire life. No lie. Worse than any training I ever did for soccer. Worse than the half marathon I did when I was 17. Worse than hiking 10-15 miles a day on Outward Bound.

On the first run, I was in the last group of people. As we came around the corner and hit the hill, I could see about 5 people ahead of us walking the hill. Not a good sign. I kept running about halfway up the hill until I realized that I could actually walk the hill faster than I could run it.

When I got up the steps for the 21 burpees, I thought "I am never going to finish this." But, I knew I could never take a DNF, even if I had to walk the entire course. After about 10 burpees, the woman next to me said, "I quit, there's no way I can finish this." She went to sit down in the grass. By that time, I was the last person doing the 21 burpees. As I finished, she said, "If you'll run with me, I will try to finish." OH YEAH. I had a partner in crime.

I don't think there was any question that we would just walk the hill each time. Halfway up the hill on our second run, our coach passed us on her third run. She told us to just run to the next tree and then we could walk again. So, we did. We did the same thing on our fourth run when we hit the hill.

Okay, so we finished dead last. But, we finished. We did not have an official timekeeper, but it took us somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes. And, it was great to have someone to run with.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Um, that workout looks EVIL! Are your legs functional today?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #16
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
Um, that workout looks EVIL! Are your legs functional today?
Oh, it was evil, Amber! When I was actually looking FORWARD to burpees because they were the easy part of the WOD...well, that says something to me! As I came up the steps for the final walking lunges, I was so happy to be done. And, then, I realized that my legs might not cooperate to do the lunges.

I am feeling okay now after a hot shower and a few hours of letting my muscles loosen up. But, I woke up about 3 times last night, and it hurt to even turn over in bed. I really had to pee, and it took me 20 minutes to convince myself that the pain of getting up to pee was worth it. The soreness from the handstand holds on Friday plus the soreness from everything yesterday is not a good combination!

I will say that the WOD will end up being a positive because it will drive me even more. I'm tired of sucking at running. I understand that it is mostly impatience. I haven't run regularly in about 12 years, so why on earth would I be good at running after 3 months of training with relatively little running? And, I know I am not the slowest person on earth. Perhaps, I am the slowest person at my affiliate, but I'm faster than a lot of "normal" people, LOL.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #17
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

In honor of my coach, Corey Duvall, whose birthday is TODAY, I made a proclamation about running. Namely, I will no longer complain about running while at my affiliate or at any affiliate-sponsored event. If I do complain, any member or coach can impose a 20 burpee penalty on me. I just need to shut up and suck it up because I am not going to get better at running by complaining.

Skill work: Find 5, 3, or 1 RM for front squats.

I realized the first and only time I worked on front squats, I found a 3RM, not a 5RM. Whatever. My 3RM last time was the second week of June, and it was 70 lbs. I failed on the the third rep of 75 lbs at that time. Today, I ended up getting a 5RM of 75 lbs. I was going to try for my 3RM, but we ran out of time. I was pretty happy with 75 lbs as a 5RM, considering my legs are still pretty shot from Saturday's WOD.

WOD:
AMRAP in 8 min
8 clean and jerk (55 lbs)
4 bar muscle ups (jumping up to bar)

2 rds + 5

I was going to sub thrusters because I've never done clean and jerk, but my coaches seemed to think I could do it if I used 55 lbs. So, I had a mini coaching session on the jerk. First of all, I felt MUCH better about my cleans. My timing coming up off the floor past my knees was a big improvement. Didn't hit my heels every time, but in the middle of a WOD, I am just not there yet to have great form every time. So, the jerk...well, for the first time, I don't think it was horrible. My one coach seemed to think it was more than decent for a first effort. I could tell when I hit it right and when I was off. Overall, I was happy with it, and I can't wait to work on clean and jerk in my private coaching sessions!

One note: belly button ring + bar muscle ups = not so much
Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #18
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/15/09

SUPER BREAKTHROUGH: I did 10 consecutive full pushups for the warm up. NO knees! A month ago, I could not string together 2 consecutive full pushups. Two months ago, I couldn't do even 1 full pushup. Woot!

Skill work: Max height box jump = 27.75". I felt good about this. Didn't push it but definitely could have gone a little higher with more time. It helped to be working on my own box. Last time, I was working with someone who kept psyching herself out. I'm actually not afraid to bite it on a box jump. It helps to watch some of the guys doing 40+" for inspiration!

WOD:
200m run
21 knees to elbows
9 snatches
400m run
15 knees to elbows
15 snatches
800m run
9 knees to elbows
21 snatches

19:41, 31 lbs for snatches

This was a killer. My arms are still lead, and I'm debating whether it's worth getting out of the chair to get coffee. I was hoping to do better with the runs, seeing as I have ditched my suck a** attitude about running. But, I am not yet a fast runner. My 800m felt like a crawl.

I actually can do a decent knees to elbows. Not 21 straight, ha, but dang my abs and arms are so much stronger than they were 6 weeks ago. Having a better kip swing would help, LOL. My time would have been much faster if I had subbed for knees to elbows, but I didn't want to do that, and I am glad.

I realized that a lot of time I am pausing to try to catch my breath, and it is just a waste of time...because, REALLY, I am NOT going to catch my breath in the middle of a WOD. Who am I kidding? On the last 21 snatches, I just tried to push through, and I was so much faster. I gotta work on that. It's a mental block.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #19
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/15/09 AGAIN

This is for my personal coaching session last night.

500m row = 2:00.6
Why oh why couldn't I break the freaking 2 min barrier? Still, I've come down 14 secs in 2 weeks.

GOOD STUFF overall last night. I didn't feel great yesterday, so I was pretty happy that I pushed through two workouts and didn't suck it up too badly.

Worked on the snatch progression. Lots of stretching. My pecs seriously need stretching. OHS. Snatch Balance. A ton of snatch reps using 16 lbs.

I saw the proof in the video. Holy crap, I look so much better. I've spent about 2 hours watching CF videos since last week's session, and it was time well spent.

I also worked on my kip swing. I'm not even close to a kipping pull up yet, but my swing is a drastic improvement over 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Before we know it, you'll be telling us you got your first kip. It'll come, as will the running improvements. Sounds like you're off to a great start!