CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #381
Evelyn Scarborough

Profile:
Re: The Dead-Hang Pull-up Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Okay, I am officially joining the Society! I'm working with the bands at my affiliate, and I use the gravitron on days that I go to my regular gym. I've definitely increased the number of reps I can do with the bands, and I've been experimenting with different band thicknesses.

I feel like my first pull-up is so far off, but I guess I should have hope! I wasn't able to do a full pushup 2 months ago. I could barely do 10 pushups from my knees. Well, I finally got my first full pushup in, and then I got in 2 consecutive ones today. Eek, eek, eek...but the progress is there!

Tamara
Congrats on the push-up Tamara! I think you have the right idea with the pull-ups. My mom is working on hers and she uses different band thicknesses for different goals. When doing WODs she uses the heavy black to work on muscular endurance (she can get 10 without stopping using that one). When she's working on strength for her first unassisted she's been using the green band, which she can only do ~2 in a row. Definitely want to take the time to progress using full ROM which will help minimize sticking points. Slow and steady wins this race, IMO, to get the most consistent exposure without overdoing it and getting tendinitis, etc. where you have to stop altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyson Terranova View Post
Ha...still at the same point...eyes to bar. I have to be honest and admit that I haven't been able to GTG as much as I've wanted too. I really need to work my supinated grip from the bottom because I'm pretty strong with that grip at the top (can pull easy chest to bar once I hop above parallel). Besides working that grip, I need to work them all...that's the major thing she said. My goal now is by the end of the summer, hopefully that will be possible!
I picked overhand grip to start with when I began trying for a pull-up because I had heard it was the hardest. Whether it is or not, that is biting me now as I am much weaker when trying to do them with the other two grips (supinated or alternating). It would be more helpful in WODs and with C2B pull-ups if I was also strong with those grips, because I could alternate and spread the load around different muscles.

Get on the bar and finish what you started! Then come back and tell us about it and you can have one of these ->
Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 AM   #382
Julie M. Lower

Profile:

Hey -- does anyone know how to get that skunky rubber smell out of brand new bands? That smell doesn't even wash up. I could put one finger tip on my brand new band and my hand will stink even after I wash it.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #383
Jose M. Perez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie M. Lower View Post
Hey -- does anyone know how to get that skunky rubber smell out of brand new bands? That smell doesn't even wash up. I could put one finger tip on my brand new band and my hand will stink even after I wash it.
Store them in the garage for a few weeks or hang them outside. Eventually the smell will go away.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #384
Julie M. Lower

Profile:

Thanks! I actually washed it in soap and water and that seemed to do the trick so far. I didn't want to run it through the dishwasher or the washing machine because I didn't want to break down the rubber.

Anyway, that thing is my new best friend! No more Gravitron, y'all. From now on, Cindy and Tabata Something Else will be done with my new rubber band (which now smells like a meadow in springtime).
Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #385
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

I have joined the Dead Hang Pull-up Society with one very ugly, leg kicking, slow pull-up. Now I'm working on cleaning it up, making the movement smoother with no stopping points in the middle of the pull. For me the hardest part was just getting going from a dead hang. I found that bands, jumping pullups, and negatives did not help with the bottom of the pullup. The reall breakthrough for me was when I set my rings to about chest height, then I did pullups from the seated position. When I'm sitting underneath them, I have to really reach to get my grip, so I'm really at a fully extended hang. At first I had to use my legs to help me up a bit, but eventually I could do them with my feet up on a chair in front of me. Doing pullups from the seated position made the biggest difference for me. After I got those down, then I was able to use bands and jumping pullups to increase my strength through the rest of the movement. I hope this helps someone else. Congratulations to everyone that's gotten their pullups so far!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #386
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Anyone else have the problem of being able to a dead-hang but not kipping? I got my first dead-hangs like a month or two ago and have yet to do anything approaching a kip.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #387
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Anyone else have the problem of being able to a dead-hang but not kipping? I got my first dead-hangs like a month or two ago and have yet to do anything approaching a kip.
Hi Emily,

I've been working on my kip for basically nine months (since I started CF). I'm up to (on a good day) as many as 10 dead hangs, but have not been able to kip to save my soul - - or when I've tried, I've ended up "horsing" myself to the bar using my arms. What kip I had was ugly! Basically, it comes down to shoulder flexibility and timing, if you are using hip drive to generate the kip. The gymnastics kip is actually easier, but you really have to have good flexibility in your shoulders. Since I have such poor shoulder flexibility, I am using hip drive - - my timing is FINALLY there, so now when I when I pull my knees up at the bottom of the movement and then explosively open my hips, the inertia generated by this raises my body vertically toward the bar. The pull from the arms is then much less.....

Please forgive the long-winded explanation. If you haven't already, check out the four videos ("Kipping Pullups, Step 1" thru "Kipping Pullups, Step 4") from the Main Page's Exercises and Demos link. I've posted it here (w/f/s): http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html
Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #388
Alyson Terranova

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn Scarborough View Post
I picked overhand grip to start with when I began trying for a pull-up because I had heard it was the hardest. Whether it is or not, that is biting me now as I am much weaker when trying to do them with the other two grips (supinated or alternating). It would be more helpful in WODs and with C2B pull-ups if I was also strong with those grips, because I could alternate and spread the load around different muscles.

Get on the bar and finish what you started! Then come back and tell us about it and you can have one of these ->
I'm working my supinated grip a ton more now. Pronated is much easier for me, but I've just been stuck. During WODs, I kip (I know, I know...I just enjoy completing WODs as Rxd) with a pronated grip but will be working the supinated grip as well...plus a ton of dead hang work once I get back from vacation. My new goal is to have my dead hang before my L1 Cert in October...once I can concentrate on it more, I know it will come!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:17 AM   #389
Yotam Wei

Profile:

I recently got my first pull up/Kip.

I tried to get it for MONTHS by practising kipping/pull ups - but got no results. I finally did it by crossfitting.

All the WODs built up all my muscles and helped my body cope with supporting its own weight.

Goodluck everyone still going for their first kip/pull up!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 AM   #390
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Okay, I am not kicked out of the society yet, but last night I got my first chin to bar DHPU! Posted about it in my log. Total shocker. Now, I need to go chest to bar.