CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #361
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: The Dead-Hang Pull-up Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni Coffman View Post
Thanks Melissa for getting my back! Tonight we were doing pullups at the 'ol box and it's frustrating because, without fail, I am always the weakest person in the class. I could do one DHPU with a red band, unassisted, but the rest were with some help from coach. It's frustrating, but I look forward to being able to do the workout as prescribed with weight.

I've been practicing with a fairly narrow grip and am wondering if I shouldn't be sort of wide, since that allows more use of the lats. But then I can't finish it off in that position. Conversely, I do better up at top with a narrow grip but have less power at the bottom. Which way should I be practicing? Does it matter?
You should be practicing both, all, as many variations as possible. Attack it from every conceivable angle. Mix it up. You'll be surprised at how fast you progress if you include a lot of variety in your grease-the-groove training.

And please, stop thinking of yourself as the "weakest one", Danni. First of all, you are a CHICK doing PULL-UPS. I don't care that they're with a band - it's STILL a PULL-UP. How many other girls do you know - outside of our little CrossFit community - who can say that? Who can DO that?

And as far as your class goes, remember that you are focusing on building strength and control with your dead hang training. As a coach, I can get lots of people to chin over bar with a spastic combination of frog-kicking, wild swinging and bicycling like an epileptic kangaroo. That is NOT strength - that is merely applied momentum. Invest your time and energy into building the STRENGTH and your kipping will come EASY, my dear.

Again, I know this is a controversial topic, and these views are my own. But if you've made the decision to approach your training in this fashion - strength FIRST - then I'm glad you're working your dead hangs.

Melissa

Last edited by Melissa Urban : 05-06-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #362
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
Invest your time and energy into building the STRENGTH and your kipping will come EASY, my dear.

Again, I know this is a controversial topic, and these views are my own. But if you've made the decision to approach your training in this fashion - strength FIRST - then I'm glad you're working your dead hangs.

Melissa

Lol I don't think any sane person would dispute that. Especially as far as what's more useful for building strength.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 05-06-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #363
Julie M. Lower

Profile:

There was a good article in Women's Health this month about getting your dead hang pull-up step by step. They suggest to start with flexed arm hangs with chin over bar, holding as long as you can. When you get to three 25-second flexed arm hangs, start doing slow negatives of 20 seconds each. When you can do that, do "mini-pullups" starting from the flexed arm hang, going two inches below the bar and pulling back up, three sets of two each, then try for a dead hang pull-up. I thought that sounded interesting.

Reference:

McDowell, D. (2009). Seriously, you can do it. Womens Health, May, 86-87.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #364
Alejandro Martinez

Profile:

There were very few things that bodybuilding exercises helped build, but heavy lat pulldowns gave me an effortless DHPU, which helped me work on high numbers of pull-ups. "Military" presses helped with my HSPU, which helped the shoulder press I would do later on. Kipping will help a DH, as doing high numbers of pull-ups with strengthen. If you are kipping or doing assisted or jumping pull-ups, just make them as high as possible and concentrate on your back and arms doing the work rather than your legs.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #365
Alyson Terranova

Profile:

Still no pull up...this is so frustrating! However, I was able to do 4 sets of 10 deadhangs with my knee in the purple band (the lightest resistance band was have at the gym)...definitely up from the 4 I was able to do a few weeks back. So I'm just going to figure that I'm making some progress. I'm still stuck with my eyes to the bar on normal attempts though.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #366
Danni Coffman

Profile:

Eyes to the bar is better than I can do!!! Sounds like you're awfully close to me!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #367
Kat Mcguire

Profile:

Hi all.....so glad to find this group! Just started CF 1.5 months ago and love it but my biggest goal is the almighty pullup! In my mind I can do them but when I'm hanging there, well, I'm hanging there. The tiniest movement (and I mean tiny) is exciting for me . I see girls doing pullups and I'm like " that will be me someday". Bought a chin up bar for my doorway and use it every chance I get. I have also discovered I can jump up and hold myself there for a couple of seconds. Anytime I go to do the WOD I hang from the bar and swing like a 3 year old just to get a rhythm going (to someday kip)....so great to see so many people with the same goal .....one question, what's GTG mean??
Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #368
Evelyn Scarborough

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyson Terranova View Post
Still no pull up...this is so frustrating! However, I was able to do 4 sets of 10 deadhangs with my knee in the purple band (the lightest resistance band was have at the gym)...definitely up from the 4 I was able to do a few weeks back. So I'm just going to figure that I'm making some progress. I'm still stuck with my eyes to the bar on normal attempts though.
Alyson, it sounds like you just need some focused work on the ROM you're struggling with (eyes to bar -> chin over bar). Have you tried jumping up to the top (with chin over) and lowering yourself to where your eyes are at the bar and then either holding or trying to pull yourself back up? Also static holds at the top position? If the purple band you're using is like the one from Iron Woody, then it is tiny and with 4x10 on that you should be strong enough to do one deadhang.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #369
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I can hang at the bottom with active shoulders for nearly a minute--nothing wrong with my grip--but my hold at the top is so short that my trainer yelled at me for doing jumping pullups instead of negatives. It's getting better, though: the pause at the top is at least a little bit visible if you know to look for it... Sigh...

Katherine
Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #370
Alyson Terranova

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn Scarborough View Post
Alyson, it sounds like you just need some focused work on the ROM you're struggling with (eyes to bar -> chin over bar). Have you tried jumping up to the top (with chin over) and lowering yourself to where your eyes are at the bar and then either holding or trying to pull yourself back up? Also static holds at the top position? If the purple band you're using is like the one from Iron Woody, then it is tiny and with 4x10 on that you should be strong enough to do one deadhang.
I'm GTG-ing all of those movements, but am just stuck for some reason...not quite sure why. It may be more of a mental thing and I just need to hang out for a second and keep pulling when I'm eyes to bar? Maybe I'm giving up too easy at that point I'll just keep working on it, that's all I can do. It will happen eventually!